Klipsch Forte IV

KenMD

I currently live in a new home and have to use our great room for watching movies, listening to music, etc. My wife and I are in our 70's and have downsized. The sound equipment we have are:

Marantz SR7015

Klipsch RF 83 Front

Klipsch RC 64 1st release purchased shortly after the RF 83's

Velodyne Optimum 12 Sub

The Fives for surround connected wirelessly to avoid cables on the floor

Bowers and Wilkens 4 each CCM663 ceiling speakers for Atmos

I am considering purchasing the Forte IV to replace the RF 83's and want opinions, Is the 7015 ok for power and would this be a good upgrade?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KenMD said:

I am considering purchasing the Forte IV to replace the RF 83's  , Is the 7015 ok for power  

the Forte IV should work fine with the 7015 , being it's rated at 125 wpc in stereo mode 

Hello, you would be mixing reference speakers read, home theater speakers with speakers typically designed for 2 channel stereo historically. While you can, you will likely have a timbre conflict. The 83 are decent speakers and a near tossup when paired against the rf-7 even, per Michael Stevens testing a few years back.

• Like 2

As Billybob has mentioned, mixing Heritage with Reference will mess with timbre, this may or may not be important to you. If not, you should be fine running the Fortes with the Marantz as I run Cornwall IVs with a Marantz SR5015 with no issues. 

• Like 1

Not as important to me as to some. Will likely get used to it.

May not notice. Think you may even like them more for music in direct 2 channel mode. Think you both may agree on movie sounds. Alot of maybe. Taste of what you have now may overide the combination.The Marantz with it's features may well help with matching. If you close your eyes, your ears may not discern anything different.

Just do not discount the main floorstanders you have now, if you are happy with.

Welcome @KenMD

4 hours ago, KenMD said:

If I understand this correctly when watching a movie the Fortes will not be a perfect match to the center channel speaker, would it be that bad?

the Forte IV will do fine with the RC-64 center  plus you already own other speakers  with different timbres already and so far , this is un-noticeable ..the other solution would be to buy the RF-7 III instead of the Forte IV  to have a perfectly matched timbre up front   , the difference between both speakers is a tad more bass and a more detailed HF for the Forte IV   .

Based on the age of my speakers I thought an upgrade might be in order and I like the old look of the Forte, reminds me of the pioneers I bought while in Viet Nam that are long gone. However if they are no better than what I have then my wife will be happy.

2 hours ago, KenMD said:

Based on the age of my speakers I thought an upgrade might be in order and I like the old look of the Forte, reminds me of the pioneers I bought while in Viet Nam that are long gone. However if they are no better than what I have then my wife will be happy.

Not wanting to deprive you with opinions. Buy new or used Klipsch for another room if you want to @KenMD

5 hours ago, KenMD said:

reminds me of the pioneers I bought while in Viet Nam that are long gone. 

you must have been quite a young guy to serve in Nam , the war ended in 1975 

On 1/7/2024 at 10:46 AM, KenMD said:

I currently live in a new home and have to use our great room for watching movies, listening to music, etc. My wife and I are in our 70's and have downsized. The sound equipment we have are:

Marantz SR7015

Klipsch RF 83 Front

Velodyne Optimum 12 Sub

I am considering purchasing the Forte IV to replace the RF 83's and want opinions, Is the 7015 ok for power and would this be a good upgrade?

Fwiw, you have a very nice system already and I would listen to the Forte IVs before considering them an "upgrade." It's easy to spend someone else's money and at what cost? Regardless, thank you for your service. 

On 1/7/2024 at 10:46 AM, KenMD said:

Marantz SR7015

Klipsch RF 83 Front

Velodyne Optimum 12 Sub

Or you can add the Forte IV's along with a separate 2 channel system (with an older Pioneer receiver) similar to what I did except with RF7 1's and Forte 1's.

I don't mix the two systems when listening, it's either HT with the RF-7/RC-7/RS-7 or two channel with the Forte's.

6299.JPG.97485121a838c5c984ae08fdca90001a.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had Fortes sustaining 110 db on bass boosted Eminem with a 40 watt half sized Marantz NR 1607 so yeah it will work fine.  However you compare it with a class A external amp and crank it up and you'll be able to hear some passages where the amp will do better so I wouldn't have any delusions about thinking that receiver is the best it can possibly get.  Biggest problem with receivers is that when there are big dynamics that coincide with an impedance dip, which will happen, the receiver can kind of choke and you can hear it.  At lower volumes you probably won't be able to tell them apart.  

On 1/9/2024 at 4:35 AM, KenMD said:

I was drafted in 1969 at age 20, I was 21-22 when in Viet Nam, I worked on Chinooks.

Thank you for your service to our nation. You guys did not get treated right upon your return.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

I've had Fortes sustaining 110 db on bass boosted Eminem with a 40 watt half sized Marantz NR 1607 so yeah it will work fine.... Biggest problem with receivers is that when there are big dynamics that coincide with an impedance dip, which will happen, the receiver can kind of choke and you can hear it.  At lower volumes you probably won't be able to tell them apart.  

Interesting...Where are the impedance dips on the Fortes that cause the most problems? 🤔 I actually thought they could be classified as "8 Ohm" speakers because they didn't have the jagged Frequency Response Curve that affected the RF-7s (and assumed others in the Reference line and below).

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

Interesting...Where are the impedance dips on the Fortes that cause the most problems? 🤔 I actually thought they could be classified as "8 Ohm" speakers because they didn't have the jagged Frequency Response Curve that affected the RF-7s (and assumed others in the Reference line and below).

No photo description available.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this @Paducah Home Theater. There are no frequencies that dip below 4 Ohms so I don't understand where the Fortes would struggle using a quality, mid-grade AVR...

2 hours ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

I've had Fortes sustaining 110 db on bass boosted Eminem with a 40 watt half sized Marantz NR 1607 so yeah it will work fine.

Impressive and that's with a lower end AVR. 😮 Did you hear any clipping?

On 1/9/2024 at 7:35 AM, KenMD said:

I was drafted in 1969 at age 20, I was 21-22 when in Viet Nam, I worked on Chinooks.

2 years working on transport Chinooks in an action zone , now that 's some serious work experience