Basetraps

KHG

I am designing a new house and have a question regarding placement of my Forte IV's used for stereo music.  One speaker is in a corner with an interior 1/2" drywall over 2x4's and a 2x6" exterior wall with 1/2" drywall.   The other has a double paned glass window wall behind it.  My thought was to place rockwool insulation in the corner walls.  The glass wall has me stumped.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

• Like 1

If the finished surface is drywall putting rockwool in the wall behind it will do not much acoustically. It is good thermal insulation though. And yes I agree with other posts here the window needs a curtain/drape with several folds across the span that you can close during critical listening sessions.

But hey I'm no expert. I just know I made vast improvements in imaging when I installed acoustic panels and drapes in my listening room

4 hours ago, KHG said:

My thought was to place rockwool insulation in the corner walls. The glass wall has me stumped.

Wish I had known to install Rockwool Safe-n-Sound into the interior walls while my house was being built. It was a lot of extra work to retrofit when dealing with some low frequency standing waves in my listening room. 

17 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Wish I had known to install Rockwool Safe-n-Sound into the interior walls while my house was being built. It was a lot of extra work to retrofit when dealing with some low frequency standing waves in my listening room. 

What was in the walls before retrofit? The pink stuff? And changing to rockwool helped LF standing waves? Got any measurements?

13 minutes ago, babadono said:

What was in the walls before retrofit? The pink stuff? And changing to rockwool helped LF standing waves? Got any measurements?

No pink stuff in the original interior walls. No recorded measurements that I have on file, but MCACC on screen displays at that time showed an improvement, and the audible 70 Hz nulls were greatly reduced.

Insulation in the walls will help a little, not sure how much.

Use blackout curtains over the glass.  Use twice as many as needed for the distance so they will have plenty of extra folds. 

https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillows/pdp/latitude-run-100-blackout-curtains-textured-max-blackout-drapes-thermal-insulation-reduce-noise-for-living-w010990306.html?piid=235801659%2C242311998

Plan on soft floor coverings to reduce floor reflections.  After that, see what the room needs to manage distracting reflections once it is finished.  I would not build bass traps or absorptive panels until you see what the room needs. 

On 1/30/2024 at 3:10 PM, babadono said:

A hollow wall with sheetrock on both sides is like a bass drum. Filling the cavity WILL help. Again we just don't know how much without measurements.

Stuffing the hollow spaces reduces the sheetrock resonance, which probably is as beneficial for the acoustic properties of the room, as adding the bass trap effect of the dense mineral wool.