belle

jdm56

JD, well I'm pleased that the nine month wait for "Baby Belle" is now over! I hope it exceeds your expectations. I sure love mine.

Moon, I know you don't like Ebay but with a little care, diligence and good communication with a seller, you can do pretty well. It took me two years but I collected:

Klipschorns: $1050

Belle: $650

Heresies: $400

That's about two-grand for some lovely sounding Heritage. Compared to the list price approaching $14,000, I think it might be compelling to reconsider giving it a shot :)

I was very fortunate, I walked into a smaller high end audio shop locally one day and spotted out of the corner of my eye a pair of Oak Clear Belle's with beautiful cane grills sitting side by side with some magazine racks on them. I asked the owner what they were doing there and he said no one wants big speakers anymore, so I in turn asked him how much he wanted for them. I ended up getting them for $1000, and he also had some Heresy II's and a KG 2.2V that he was selling on consignment so I scooped up the whole set-up while I was there. I sold off most of my high end car audio gear to purchase them. I had a pair of Forte's prior to that that I had been pleased with, but traded the Forte's towards the Belle's & Heresy II's. Next step I would like to upgrade to Khorns eventually. Moral of the story is there are deals to be had out there whether locally or online. I am interested in the new crossover and drivers in the 2003 Belle's. Please post photos!

Thanks everybody for the congrats, and for the support during my belle's prolonged `gestastion' period.(ha)

I've scarcely had time to listen yet, but she is set-up and freshly "Endusted". She works, but my current rig does not really allow her to shine. I use a humble Dynaco passive matrix decoder to derive a center and surround output from my 2-channel integrated. So, I have no individual level controls, which means that right now, belle is kinda lost between the cornerhorns. There is some center fill, but not quite enough. This is a little surprising to me, as there is only a one db difference in rated sensitivity. Maybe the decoder robs a little too much current from the center, to feed the surrounds, I dunno.

Driving five speakers with two channels of amplification ain't exactly the hot set-up. At least, not when the speakers are not identical. But the remedy, in the form of a new HT receiver, will have to wait until A; my finances allow, and B; Affordable fire-wire equipped receivers are available. Early 2004?

But still, I'm happy with her. I think the belle and the klipschorn are two of the most gorgeous, best sounding loudspeakers ever created. I feel very fortunate to have a system with them. The oak oil finish on the belle is a little lighter than my k-horns, but I think I can get to a better match with some light oiling. Suggestions?

ASAP, I will post pics and listening impressions.

If you will notice my sig, I've also added a pair of RS-7's for surround duty with my front heritage. Ed at Kief's basically gave me an internet price ($650/pr.), so I thought that was a good deal. I'm really pleased with them. They are temporarily sitting on top of CD cabinets that flank the listening spot, but I will soon raise them a bit higher and move them rearward slightly to a permanent wall location.

9.gif10.gif9.gif10.gif9.gif

Hey, I tried for over a year to find a single oak/oil belle. No luck. Learned one thing, though: Walnut is much more popular than oak. Geez, seemed like EVERY klipsch belle is Walnut...and on the East coast, California or Texas. Similar deal with used Heresy speakers. Seems like all the primo ones go for $500-$600 PLUS shipping. Good golly, I could buy new for around $850! Besides, the Heresy isn't really a great speaker for surround duty - too directional, IMO.

James speaks the truth. I've been looking for a set of OO Belles used, and can only remember seeing one set being sold in the last year (and these ebayed for about $2500). Walnut is the most common Belle. This has me worried, as I have wanted one OO Belle for my HT. I expect to buy the pair, if I find them for a reasonable price.

Someday, I'll find 'em.

----------------

On 2/7/2003 1:27:05 PM talktoKeith wrote:

Hey James, can you elaborate on the RS-7's, or have you tried them out yet? Or too early maybe? Just thought an initial impression might be interesting?

Keith

----------------

Hi Keith,

Yes, it's still early, but so far, I am really impressed with them. They keep up with the horns in my smallish room very well. In fact, I'm so impressed with them that I have to wonder what a system using RC7 fronts with RS7 surrounds and RSW15 subs might do. Maybe give my heritage trio a run for the money? I'm really tempted to borrow a pair of RC7's just to see. Ha, wouldn't that be a kicker? Surely the k-horn / belle rig would walk over them, but ya just never know.