KLIPSCH DOPE FROM HOPE PUBLICATIONS ???

AndyKubicki

Bad News Folks (so far)

Kinko's has put a Kink in this. They won't copy any of it because of the copyrights (and there are lots of them). Apparently, last year or so, the copyright law was extended to 95 years.

On Monday I'll take this stuff over to a little mom & pop shop on the other side of town that I've dealt with over the years. Maybe they won't be so concerned as a big national franchise like Kinko's.

ARTTO, Thanks for taking this on! I would rather have you make a few cents off this project of love rather than let some eBay-traneur take $39 each! I do like the idea of scanning and making a file out of it for easier distribution, but that's up to you. Let us know when you decide. My email is Andyyyy@aol.com , I will send you a check soon as I get your info.

My fellow Arkie (Andy HDBR)has chastised me for driving my four CWs (flank)and two Mod-H (centers) with two 440w per channel Luxman M-117(BTL).

I'm like a sixteen year old kid with a 427ci Vet....I put my foot into it at times.

The Lux's are clean, smooth, and stable with "tubie warmth".

I have yet to blow anything. Diaphragm excursions are minimal and the SLAM is incredible!

What am I missing?

Anyone?

I.B. Slamin

My fellow Arkie (Andy HDBR)has chastised me for driving my four CWs (flank)and two Mod-H (centers) with two 440w per channel Luxman M-117(BTL).

I'm like a sixteen year old kid with a 427ci Vet....I put my foot into it at times.

The Lux's are clean, smooth, and stable with "tubie warmth".

I have yet to blow anything. Diaphragm excursions are minimal and the SLAM is incredible!

What am I missing?

Anyone?

I.B. Slamin

Terry, yes, it includes the Bell Labs stuff. Not yet sure if I'll be in volilation of copyright laws or not. I would think that this would qualify under the "fair use" interpretation of copyright law which may exempt factual (vs fictional) information for educational, nonprofit, noncommercial purposes.

Terry, Luxman made some really great amps. The SS stuff is typically more warm sounding than other SS gear. While having much of the "tube warmth", I think they still lack the detail, definition & sense of 3-D space/imaging that a good tube amp has. If you think that M-117 sounds great, you should hear their tube amps like the MB3045 or MB300. Interesting thing is my 50 watt Lux MB3045's sound way more powerful than my 275w/chnl Crown PSA2 (which is up for sale by the way). Not only that....even though the Crown specs & measures more than 20Db lower noise than the Lux tubes, I'll give you one guess which one sounds quieter. The Lux are DEAD QUIET, turned all the way up, even with your ear right against the mid & high horns on a Khorn, you can't hear a thing. You do that with the PSA2 & you can hear the hiss at the listening poition.

One suggestion: don't use 2 speaker systems for your center speaker. You're probably producing what's called the "comb filter effect". Its bad enough trying to minimize this within one single multiple driver speaker system. With 2 of these in close proximity of each other the frequency response anomolies will be exaggerated even more. In addition, you then have the most acoustic output potential where you need it the least. I've tried this many years ago, several times in different rooms. I looks impressive for sure. But from a technical standpoint, its probably not the best thing to do. On the other hand, as I always say, "to each his own".

Artto,

Thanks for the reply.

I understand about doubling the centers.

I used an old 7-T preamp with a center output and one Mod-H having a better (PWKs Curtain of sound)effect.

I need to buy or build a center channel output control for the Holman preamp that I now use.

Any suggestions?

Ran a pair of Crown DC-300s for a few years. Crown is a little cold and "snappy" for my taste of late.

Anyway......We have yet to address TO MUCH POWER.

Headroom. Can one have too much?

Tim Taylor

PS: I knew better than to speak SS in the 2-channel spot.

I.B.Slammin

Terry, yes. Here's a schematic from Klipsch Dope From Hope Vol.14, No.4 Revised July 1973. For the pots I used extremely high quality military spec hermatically sealed high precision pots that take about 5 or 6 complete turns around from full off to full on, and 1% resistors. I don't remember what kind except that whatever it was, they were the best available back then (1980-82) (maybe its time I revisit this & do an upgrade). You can really "dial-in" the overall balance & center channel extremely well with this. But any high quality pots should do the job. The ones I used were about $50 each as I recall.

Klipsch2ph3.pdf

• Klipsch Employees

The Dope from Hope papers were not "copywrited". As Artto says, the Audio Papers have various copywrites involved. Copywrites do not "expire". Without permission, "eBay guy" is extremely exposed. Klipsch does not own all the copywrites to the Audio papers, but the people that do may not like it.

• Like 1

Thanks Trey. At this point, I take it that what you are saying is that I can reproduce the Dope From Hope publications, at least for the people who responded in this thread, for the purposes involved, even though the documents overlap "commom law" copyright restrictions?

If thats the case, I'll be glad to send out copies of the Dope From Hope publications to those that requested to it thru Friday, February 14th.

The other stuff will have to wait until/if I can secure reproduction rights for this particular, nonprofit, noncommercial, educational intended distribution.

2.gif

Terry,

I built the center channel system from the above supplied design. Worked great using the basic Radio Shack off-the-shelf hardware. I picked off of this forum the design and at that time there were several comments about adding a 10 ohm resister between the pot and ground to help suppress cross talk. I added the additional resister and have loved the result. Having a center channel really helped in the presentation of both HT and audio listening. I was surprised that the stereo effect was not reduced. Left and right were still sharp. A no lose situation.

Bert

Thanks Bert. My conclusions exactly. I'm not sure why some others like mobilehomeless keep dissing this concept. It seems to make the whole presentation more believable. This is not just some marketing scheme dreamed up by PWK to sell more speakers & compensate for "the deficiencies of 45 degreee corner speaker placement" as some seem to think. Its all well documented in the Bell Lab experiments on auditory perception that those of you who signed up for the Klipsch Audio Papers will be receiving.

The copyright laws were changed in recent years. The copyright expiration varies depending on the type of work, when it was created, whether it was created before or after the recent law changes, etc, etc.

For all practical purposes, any original "work" is now automatically considered to be copyrighted by the original creator whether the work is registered with the US Copyright Office or not (generally this applies internationally as well).

Typically, the length of time now granted for copyright protection to the original author/creator is 95 years after the author's death.

There are many ambiguities in the interepretations. And there are exceptions such as "fair use" under non-profit, non-commercial, educational & factual use(vs. fiction)(facts cannot be copyrighted).

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

http://www.eff.org/CAF/law/copyright-FAQ

Klipsch Audio Papers LAST CALL

The following list of names are those of you I have received payment for copies of the Klipsch Dope From Hope & Audio Papers. I will be updating this post as I receive your payments.

I realize some of you may have not seen the previous thread until the cutoff date of February 14. Ill give this a few more days for all the payments to come it.

If you wanted to get a copy & youre name is not on this list by Wednesday morning, February 18, then email me immediately. Im going to do this only once & its only fair to not keep those people waiting who promptly sent their check or money order (emails with nothing in the subject line or no subject in the subject line have been, & will be deleted).

Tom Mobley

Gregg Fautley

Paul Lober

Ron Takchaohi

Shaun Purcell

Chris Robinson

Richard Flynn

Bobby Crites

Mark Williams

John Albright

Dave Herkert

James Phillips

Kenneth Lehr

Charles Turner

Printing $14.85

Postage $ 5.75

Envelopes$ 0.00 supplied by USPS

TOTAL $20.60

Payment must be made by personal check or USPS Money Order (NOT PayPal as I had previously mentioned), AND.......

You must include a Self-Addressed, SELF ADHESIVE shipping label!

Make the payment out to & send to:

Art Kulak

1014 Tennessee Lane

Elk Grove Village, IL 60007

artto@attbi.com