Connect preamp to monoblocks with speaker cable

I have not visited this group in a long, long time but I knew where to come with a question re 2 channel audio!  I recently purchased McIntosh monoblocks that will connect to a McIntosh C2200. I will be placing the amps near each speaker. For a short time, I would like to use the existing in-wall speaker cables to connect the preamp to the monoblocks. Can I use a y-cable from the wall receptical to the amp or should I just connect one of the two (red/black) speaker wires to the amp?  Thanks for any help. 

21 minutes ago, BillH2121 said:

For a short time, I would like to use the existing in-wall speaker cables to connect the preamp to the monoblocks.

Using unshielded speaker wire from the pre-amp to the amps might cause some unwanted noise. Best to use the proper type of interconnect cables.

26 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Using unshielded speaker wire from the pre-amp to the amps might cause some unwanted noise. Best to use the proper type of interconnect cables.

Yes - I fully agree. I will eventually use balanced cables though my wall like the existing speaker cable but that will take a couple of weeks to get installed.  i want to use the existing speaker cable temporarily until the other cable is installed.     

34 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

How would you even connect it?  I guess I’m ignorant on the topic.  🤷

One cable from preamp right output to input of right amp. . One cable from preamp left output to input of left amp.  What I’m trying to find out is whether to use bothe “wires” of speaker cable or just one. 

the cables are unbalanced. 

Oh yes of course you will have to use both wires...don't have a "circuit" without both.:) I am going to pretend your speaker wires are a red and black pair. Wire the red wire to the RCA "center pin" on both ends and the black wire to the "outer shield" on both ends.

5 minutes ago, babadono said:

Oh yes of course you will have to use both wires...don't have a "circuit" without both.:) I am going to pretend your speaker wires are a red and black pair. Wire the red wire to the RCA "center pin" on both ends and the black wire to the "outer shield" on both ends.

Thanks!

Aren't the connections through RCA coaxial connectors? Why bother going through the wall for a week? Connecting speaker wires to RCA receptacles, especially if the wire gauge is large--like 16 or 14 or 12.

Let us know how this works out.

If you can use balanced cables, why not go buy a pair of XLR mic cables and connect the pre to the power amps properly.  Two cables running around the wall for 2 weeks can't be that bad. 

However, if you use the in-wall speaker wires, use both positive and negative for each power amp and don't use one for a common ground.  Don't kludge it up worse with wyes.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pnort said:

Aren't the connections through RCA coaxial connectors? Why bother going through the wall for a week? Connecting speaker wires to RCA receptacles, especially if the wire gauge is large--like 16 or 14 or 12.

Let us know how this works out.

The original plan was to use the existing in-wall speaker cable to connect amps and preamp (the outlet for the speaker cables is exactly where the amps will sit) until I could get someone out to run balanced cables through the wall to exit behind the two amps.  If that plan is "iffy", I'll probably just buy some inexpensive balanced cables and run them on the floor from amps to preamps until I can get them run in the wall.  It will likely be a couple weeks until get someone out to do in-wall job.   I was just trying to save some time and  money.       

30 minutes ago, JohnA said:

If you can use balanced cables, why not go buy a pair of XLR mic cables and connect the pre to the power amps properly.  Two cables running around the wall for 2 weeks can't be that bad. 

However, if you use the in-wall speaker wires, use both positive and negative for each power amp and don't use one for a common ground.  Don't kludge it up worse with wyes.   

I think this has now become my primary plan - thanks!  

6 hours ago, 1MoreFord said:

How much is your time worth to cobble something together?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-17-interconnect-rca-cable-2-pack-multi/6499079.p?skuId=6499079

Well, actually, your pic of RCA cables demonstrates my original issue - a monoblock only has one input so which of the two RCA goes in the input??

Regardless, I ordered inexpensive balanced cables last night to use temporarily. I needed 25 ft for one amp and 15 ft for the other.  When the monoblocks arrive Friday, I will put my beloved McIntosh MC2102 up for sale. My system has been pretty much the same for 20 years - MC2102, C2200, RF7s. New system is MC830s, C2200, B&W 803s. Thanks to everyone who weighed in on my question. 

On 2/27/2024 at 6:05 AM, BillH2121 said:

Well, actually, your pic of RCA cables demonstrates my original issue - a monoblock only has one input so which of the two RCA goes in the input??

Not trying to be obtuse here, I know we all have different levels of understanding and expertise but it is the cable that is connected to the output of the pre amp that needs to be plugged into the input of the power amp. It's that "circuit" thing again:)

On 2/27/2024 at 7:05 AM, BillH2121 said:

pic of RCA cables demonstrates my original issue - a monoblock only has one input so which of the two RCA goes in the input?

I would make 2 single cables from that twin cable. Should easily peel apart, right down the middle.

• Thanks 1