Parallel Inductors

I know what happens when inductors are paralleled, but why would you ever do that? 

Same for series? 

This is asked in the realm of relatively low power electronic circuits in radio transmitters/receivers, like 20 to 1000 watts.  But it could apply to crossovers. 

You misunderstand.  What you linked is what I already know.  That's basic circuits. 

What I want to know is why an engineer would parallel inductors, rather than build/buy one with the correct values. 

3 hours ago, JohnA said:

I know what happens when inductors are paralleled, but why would you ever do that? 

3 hours ago, JohnA said:

This is asked in the realm of relatively low power electronic circuits in radio transmitters/receivers, like 20 to 1000 watts.  But it could apply to crossovers. 

I suspect it might be the best way to obtain desired Q values at the frequencies of interest in a particular circuit as it relates to compromises in building real world inductors.

OK, good.  That's plausible, but since lots (most?) Inductors are custom wound, wouldn't changing the diameter or wire gauge be a better solution? 

This came up while studying for my amateur General license and I just can't see giving up circuit real estate for 2 parallel inductors. 

You can use two and their interacting to obtain the real/desired inductance for the application and then replace with a single for the project or production model.

On 3/10/2024 at 9:42 PM, JohnA said:

OK, good.  That's plausible, but since lots (most?) Inductors are custom wound, wouldn't changing the diameter or wire gauge be a better solution? 

This came up while studying for my amateur General license and I just can't see giving up circuit real estate for 2 parallel inductors. 

It also increases the assembly time when you double up on components which would drive the manufacturing cost cost up.

Maybe to get an inductance value not obtainable in "standard" values?

Having worked with EE's in design and production environments, I can tell you that the choice of any component's form factor is dictated by what is available (considering lead times and source consistency) and what real estate (in three dimensions) is allowable.  

I used to have a General Radiotelephone license (commercial, not amateur) and recall that some of the test questions were theoretical and not things you'd be likely to find in  real practice.