SVS vs. RSW12

Iceman

I was almost set on buying an SVS PCi plus 25-31, but I'm starting to hear it's more for theater than music. I will be using 80% music and 20% theater. Is the RSW 12 better for music? I listen mostly to rap, hip-hop, and music with LOTS of bass. How well does an SVS work with music? Has anyone heard both with music and/or theater? Disregarding money issues, which would you prefer?

for music I'd take the RSW's. I have an RSW-15, and in my opinion, the line are some of the best subs that can be found for music. The SVS will excel more in movies, but they are no doubt a good music sub as well, however for music I'd have to put the RSW's just a little ahead of them.

But what is it about the sound emitted from the RSW that makes you prefer it over the SVS? Also note that the 25-31 SVS is tuned more toward midbass than the two larger SVS. Have you ever heard an SVS, or are you looking at charts and figures only? Thank you very much for your feedback

theEAR has owned both of these as well as many others. He listed several of his favorites in the following post:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=29860&sessionID={D7ADE293-51C4-43F6-BB9E-C8583315B798}

but both are in the same "catagory"... i guess you can try pinging him...

I haven't heard any of the SVS subs so i can't really say...

later... Rob

I had the 25 31 pci and it is no match for the rsw 12,mutch less the 15.It is however a good product at its price range,with a great bunch of people behind it.The rsw imho puts out more bass,cleaner bass,tons of headroom,you will not wonder if its enough.I think no one should rate the rsw12/15 unless they have had it in their system,it will sell itself.

Since our profiles do not list the equipment you have, it is hard to accurately match which sub you should get and for what reason. The better your loudspeakers though, the more powerful your sub should be. I prefer the punch of the RSW to the depth of the SVS. I recommend the SVS tubes to my friends and they love them. The KSW series, BTW, is a bargain amongst subs: lots of output for the money, though not all in the same league as the RSW or the SVS.

I have the ill-fated precursor to the RSW series, the LF10, plus a older style KSW200. Ive heard the dual SVS Ultra tubes. The SVS tubes are better for movies because they go deep into the region where movies have special affects. The RSW has plenty of punch in the mid-bass region, which adds much to both movies and music. Personally, I think it adds more to movies, but then a lot of people are not seeking a truly accurate musical response.

They use the sub with an overbearing setting. If you dial the EQ and volume settings on a sub to get a flat and deep bass response for music material, the sub is barely heard, and not very often at that. It merely adds to the tone of the low bass. The SVS tubes are better for music in that regard, since they reach lower and make it easier to create a flat frequency response. If you read the excellent article by Brian Weatherhead, Product Review - Subwoofers Under the Christmas Tree - December, 2001

(http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_4/subwoofers-12-2001.html),

you will find charts describing them both. (After evaluation, the author bought both the RSW and the SVS!) Take a close look at the charts. The peak of their frequency response defines what the sub can do.

In my case, dialing up the volume on my KSW200 adjusts how much 60-Hz sound I get, since that is its peak output. Although the KSW200 is not powerful, there is another bump near 35Hz. More of the LF10 dial adjusts how much 40-hz sound I get, for that is where the LF10 has its peak output.

While the SVS Ultra is a bigger version of its younger brother, its response curve gives you an idea of how SVS tubes sound differently from more conventional box subwoofers. The SVS Ultra is much lower than the RSW sub. It has very high output around 35Hz, with plenty of output still at 20Hz! It plays loud and deep. The SVS is a champ at depth. It will give you plenty of low notes. Just not fast or punchy. The RSW15 has its peak quite high 100Hz, but look also at the height of the response curve. The RSW is a champ at output. It gives you plenty of punch. Tough choice.

Punch is wonderful for quick, fully formed bass, and modern bass heavy tracks, but deep extension is too. Many acoustic instruments sound more natural with a flat bass response down to 25Hz, or lower. Live acoustic bass is not big and boomy. Compared to modern recordings, the string bass seems lean and thin, but it and many other acoustic instruments, such as the piano, still have secondary harmonics which descend quite low. Adding power to these nether regions, in the form of a SVS tube, adds realism to their presentation. Adding accurate depth, in the form of a flat frequency response, does more than just hold up the bottom end though. Adds balance through out the audible range, conveying tone all the way up through the mid-range, and according to some research, even improving articulation in the treble.

2.gif

I also agree with Colin. I own an SVS 25-31 PCi. When I first got it, I was blown away by it's sound and authority. But I found it lacking for music, as I was used to my dual sealed JL's in my truck (they start to roll off at about 35, and are VERY peaky in the mid bass area (60-90Hz). Well, I can tell you that lately I much prefer the SVS for music. It just seems much more natural and effortless. I have a Percussion CD called Mondo Head from the Japanese Taiko group KODO. I have yet to hear a sub that handles those HUGE drums with that much ease and elegance. It really all boils down to what kind of sound you're looking for, what you're used to, and what you listen to. I will tell you, though, that either way you go, you probably won't be dissappointed. Both subs have their good points.

I recently purchased the SVS PCI+ 2039. Having the smaller RSW10 , which is being sold, I was disappointed in the RSW10. The 2039 seems to be better for my 13x18x8 room for both music and movies. I have the Pioneer 49txi and after performing the auto calibration the have been very impressed with the performance and BANG for the buck.

If you have any questions about the SVS send an email to the svstech support email address and Tom will be more than willing to answer any questions and help you make the right decision. He is a Klipsch fan and when I purchased my SVS he was interested in my set up and requested a diagram of my HT. he provided outstanding advice.

also check out the www.avsforum.com postings about the svs.

scott

I agree the RSW is not boomy. the RSW10 put out smooth bass with reasonable power.

I have found over the past year my music appreciation has been surpassed by movie viewing. I rarely take the time to listen to music. But I have sampled such groups as Rush, The Who, Metallica, Judas Priest and few others and the RSW performed well. The SVS gives me more chest pounding bass but equally as smooth.

If you are dedicated more to music start off with the RSW, and add the SVS later.

Scott

----------------

On 2/12/2003 10:57:35 AM Colin wrote:

you will find charts describing them both. (After evaluation, the author bought both the RSW and the SVS!) Take a close look at the charts. The peak of their frequency response defines what the sub can do.

2.gif

----------------

While the frequency response chart is a good thing to check out when comparing subs, it is also room/placement/listening positiong dependent. So seeing if there's a peak in the charts in Brian Weatherhead's room, doesn not mean there will be a peak in someone elses.

From the article:

"Distance from the corner of the room to the listening position was roughly 12 feet, in a room a little under 3600 ft3."

"You will notice that the graphs all seem to have similar contours, and this is caused by the specific listening environment."

Iceman,

I can't say much about the RSW subs because I've only listened to them in store. I previously used the 20-39CS Plus, I currently use a single Ultra, and my brother and I built a DIY SVS with the original CS driver(I guess you could call it a 16-50CS). With all the above mentioned subs, I don't feel their music performance takes a back seat to their HT performance one bit. Don't buy into the SVS not being musical until you've heard them.

Where are going to hear them? I'm glad you asked1.gif. Well I noticed your "RSW-12 or 15" thread you're in DC, I live in the area too(Springfield, VA). I would be willing to let you hear the fury that is my CS Ultra3.gif. My brother's DIY SVS is here as well, so you could get an idea of what the lower line SVS' can do(this woofer is from the older version of the CS/PC subwoofers, the current one is capable of more output). I'm off today and tomorrow I'm free after 12:00. Just shoot an email to:

fabulousfrankie@hotmail.com.

If anyone else in the DC is interested, or wants to compare subs side by side, bring'em over and we'll have a shoot out!

Oh man fabulousfrankie, my parents live in Springfield, VA. I'm constantly doing lots of research about what sub I'm going to get (waiting 'til summer), and have been really interested in hearing the SVS in person (I was looking at the PC+ 20-39, but close enough). Next time I have a break and head up to visit my 'rents you think I could swing by ?? That would be just awesome if I could get to hear your setup.

matt