My Klipsch dealer is messed up...

tpg

I go into the dealer... wanting to look around, listen around, hear some RF-'s, their Belle's, RSW's, etc. I am told they are not working when not 5 minutes ago the guy was telling me how the RSW would beat and how the Belle's were SOOO loud. When I walk into the test room, I can see the amp powered on, I can hear the RF's hissing from the amp. Yet they do not work? Hmf.

So, I am talking to the guy. I ask him what kind of deals he usually gives. He explains that he is giving a GREAT deal when he can generally do $50 off the MSRP. He says he can only do that on Klipsch- nothing else he sells. $50?! WTF is this guy on? I just found this odd and slightly aggrevating. Needless to say, I am not a fan of our dealer and probably won't give them my business.

The sales clerk saw an orange crab boy and got confused. LOL

When audio salesman see youngsters they want to get rid of them,since most dont buy(read dont have the money).

At least they could show it less,later these kids will grow up and have money and will then ignore the store where service stunk.

EAR and Justin, both of you are spot on. Kids don't get respect. Justin, I was literally going to say kick him in the nuts, but you read my mind 6.gif

When I lived in LA, I worked up the nerve to go to a hi-end audio store. I go in, and the guy was VERY nice to me. He even fired up the B&W 801's & Krell system for me!!! The system was $225,000 and he let me look and play. If I even moved to LA, I would go back there and buy some stuff from that guy, he deserved it!!!

Anyway, I usually state my case strait out. I tell them that this is my hobby, maybe make up a few expensive components I have, and basically take control of the salesman before he has a chance to try and shed me. If I goto a nice audio store, I always put on some nice cloths and tuen my arrogance level up a bit. That is only if I am just looking with no intention of buying and want some respect 9.gif. It helps that I have passed for 21 a few times, so I look kinda young, but old enough that I could have a real job and have money.

If it's a problem, either bring a parental unit(s) or strait up tell tham why you are there and what you intend to do. If you let them know you have a purpose, they will usually help you.

Figure, not a lot of kids are wandering into hi-end audio stores for fun, so as long as you are being decent, they should not have a problem with you.

Hell, even the Porsche dealer let's my play with the cars without issue. I just tell then that I'll be back in a few years with my checkbook!!!

You guys are so right on the money with your comments it's not even funny.

I still remember getting the look over and cold shoulder at our local high end store . But now the guys know who i am and what i have bought and own . It's a mad dash whenever i walk into the door now , i can see it in there eye's " ching ching here comes dale again "

makes me sick the fuss they put up now .

For the most part most sales people look for the killer sale instead of treating the person buying say main speakers with respect. The short sightedness of most sales people can ruin them.

My brother was a successful salesman, at a CC, not by selling to people but helping them. He assisted people in making decisions and then setting goals to complete their systems. So instead of a one time purchase he had customers coming back time after time.

He loved to help the high school and college kids because these, for the most part, are the people who know what the latest and great technology is and it helped him sell to their parents. Selling = Commission regardless of the size of the sale. When college kids graduate one of the first things they want is a big TV and system.

Who did they go to, the salesman that treated them with respect. His counterparts used to wonder why he did so well.

Most sales people suck and know less about the product than the person they are selling to. I purposely dress down when I did my HT shopping and I was amazed at the treatment. The tweeter salesman that treated me with respect got all my business. 2 xbr wegas, klipsch rf7, rs7, rc7, sony dvd player, cable, connectors, and he has had about 10k more in sales in 6 months thru referals.

Some are good and some just stink.

Scott

I am NEVER dressed in anything but Eddie Bauer or some other brand of khakis, Abercrombie&Fitch/Eddie Bauer/Geoffrey Beane/whatever else sweater or shirt (NEVER T-shirt always sweater of polo-type), Omega Seamaster watch (costed about $1000 back in it's hay day...)... and I drive a BMW 735i for God's sake. And I get no respect?! Grr. That is all I say. grr.

trespasser_guy,

I told you to change the orange crab outfit! Most of the time I look like a bum,salt covered shoes , greenish leather coat,blue "tuque" N all. LOL

When I first walked to the local Klipsch/Sunfire dealer I was ignored,they were just looking if I do not steal.Now after mucho mucho $$$$$ spent anyone who works at the store treats me like I was the king of audio.

In fact I am in the top 3 best customers at this store,and did send them dozens of good customers who purchased the first time and returned for more.

And no "audio expert" dares start an argument,they know they are in for many hours and defeat is looming.

Well I made an impression when I drove my Range Rover (may it rest in peace) and purchased a set of ProMedia v2.400's ($279 for computer speakers) and then a week later I drove up in my Range Rover and picked up my dad's birthday present SB-2's and Yamaha Receiver. A few weeks later we (my father) drove up and bought a DVD player, 32" TV, Klipsch Quintet System and a Sony 5 Disc DVD player along with another Yamaha receiver. Shortly there after (they start to recognize my car haha) I got the Synergy System 6, months later we got a pair of SF-2's and then a KSW-12 to replace the KSW-10. Then some reference bookshelves.... my latest is a Denon DVD-A player. They like me and my family a bunch! Oh yeah, bought two MITS HDTV's (46 and 55 inch)

" anything but Eddie Bauer or some other brand of khakis, Abercrombie&Fitch/Eddie Bauer/Geoffrey Beane/whatever else sweater or shirt "

I always wear a t-shirt (ragged) and cargo pants (bottoms ragged) or jeans. I never have a problem:) Ofcourse, I also don't mind fiddling with stuff if noone will help me sometimes...:)

But seriously, I can recall not finding help sometimes, and in many other avenues (mostly hotels it seems..). But at audio stores I've never had a problem which I related to my age.

-mkl

Easy

I live in Wisconsin, There are NO high end stores in Milwaukee anymore.....

I have a friend who use to be in "Hi Fi" sales who has a story from 20 years ago that you guys can relate too..

In walks this elderly woman, the salesmen all watch her wander around the store not really stopping at anything in particular. Figuring she is looking for a clock radio or something else small, no one approches her. My frind, who is above this, goes over and asks her if she needs assistance. She says, my husband has always wanted a "Hi Fi" and I want to surprise him for his birthday. I would like to buy the best of the best equipment you have. My frind says, You realize that will cost well over $40,000. She says, Thats fine and he makes the biggest sale of his life.

Boy the other salesmen learned a lesson that day.

JM

----------------

On 2/24/2003 7:08:09 PM trespasser_guy wrote:

..."Omega Seamaster watch (costed about $1000 back in it's hay day...)"

----------------

Omega.jpg

You mean I can flash my Seamaster at the sales associate, and still get no assistance? Remind me not to go where you go!

During my very first visit to a high-end audio botique in Tampa, I wore baggy tan shorts, a henley shirt, and boat shoes, and bought a $1000 pair of Magnepans! And my watch of choice then was a Timex IronMan!9.gif

post-11084-13819246573954_thumb.jpg

You should have seen what I was wearing when I bought my klipsch! I show up in a beat-up 1990 Mazda B2200 pickup truck. I was wearing cut-off jeans and a sleevless button-down shirt (It was hot that day and I planning on going down to the river afterwords). I walked into the store originally expecting to buy some better speaker wire and cabling than I had as well as getting some better surrounds to go with my Infinity RS2000.5s. No sooner did I walk into the door did somebody approach me. I told him what I wanted (as well as mentioned that I had just gotten a Denon AVR3802 receiver - that may have gotten his attention - certainly not high-end of high-end, but way better than your typical run-of-the-mill) and he procceeded to show me to the speaker room. That is where I saw the Klipsch RFs and I just had to listen to those. At that point I told the salesman that I was really interested in the Klipsch but would like to listen to others. We spent a good couple hours listening to various speaker setups only for me to come back to Klipsch. Needless to say, he ended up getting a big sale out of this big, raggly redneck looking guy, complete with some seriously thick, long, blond curly hair (if I had a dollar for everytime I had a woman ask me if it was natural!). I am certainly not one of these types that has to drive the expensive cars, wear the expensive jewelery and wear the expensive designer clothes (although what I wear to work is mostly designer). (Christ, the equipment I loaded into the truck that day was worth about 3 times what the truck itself was worth!).

jt1stcav-

Very nice. 9.gif 2531.80, correct? James Bond model, if I remember... its been quite some time since I was dedicated to watches.

Mine is an older (vintage) Seamaster, gold filled, some water damage to the dial, but not noticeable. Absolutely beautiful. Only thing I have against it is that it is gold... I never did like gold. But hey, who can complain? It is quite rare from what I have been told... 13 jewel movement, I think. Still have the original band too. 1.gif

----------------

On 2/24/2003 11:13:31 PM trespasser_guy wrote:

Very nice.
9.gif
2531.80, correct? James Bond model, if I remember... its been quite some time since I was dedicated to watches.

----------------

I have to agree, I certainly can appreciate a fine timepiece when I see one. I have considered getting something nice like that for a watch, but unfortunatly, I tend to trash them or loose them. I must have left a couple hundred dollars worth on the bottom of the river or up on the ski hill. As a result, I just get whatever looks decent from the local wally-world. If I trash it, I am only out about $10 or so.

as stated by bruinsrme...

"Most sales people suck and know less about the product than the person they are selling to."

you obviously have not been in my retail store....i sell pro audio/commercial audio and i know a great deal more about my product than any of my customers...all of them dealers, contactors, and installers.....

your limited experience does not reflect a great number of very qualified salespeople out there...

russ

Tweeter is hopeless by me, and deserves to be dropped by Klipsch. I tend to visit during lunch breaks or after work, which means I'm wearing business dress clothes (shirt & tie, slacks, and lately, salt-encrusted dress shoes 9.gif ). I'm 6'7", 30 years old, well-dressed and the dolts still ignore me. My typical response is to walk into the demo rooms and start up the systems myself. They hate that. To be honest, I actually prefer them to leave me alone most times since most of the guys have no idea what they are selling.