1977 Cornwalls for Sale

triceratops

I have just listed my 1977 Oiled Walnut Cornwalls for sale on Ebay. This is my second pair that is going on the block. For the time being I'm still holding on to my third pair, but I need to sell these Cornwalls to make space for some Belle Klipsch I bought recently. The auction URL is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3010191293

(If that doesn't work try Ebay item number 3010191293)

Feel free to contact me with any questions. I live in Eugene, Oregon.

Best regards,

Triceratops (needed to get the Belles to have the name make sense--my Cornwalls got sold a couple of years ago--another mistake...)

Dammit...before I was broke for lack of business and didn't have the money for another pair of Cornwalls. Now I was just laid off and I really don't have the money for more Cornwalls!7.gif

But no matter how bad things get, I'll never sell my own Cornwalls...ever! I'll lose my house and sleep in a cardboard box before I ever sell my beloved Klipsch!

----------------

On 2/27/2003 6:30:52 AM dndphishin wrote:

There have been sooooooooo many good deals on Klipsch in the northwest. Every time I see these deals, I ask myself "why can't these be in the midwest"?? The under $1500 deals always seem to be out west - where I cannot get to them.

Location is everything!

----------------

dndphishin tell ya what, you send me the money, I will drive down to Eugene and pick them up for you. When you have the money to pay for shipping, send me that and I will send them to you. Only catch, I get to listen to them in our house (not the theater)... I have two little ones so you know I won't be thumping on them. 2.gif

Hi Moon,

You are certainly welcome to come to Eugene to check out the Belles and the Cornwalls. The Belles came from Audio Specialties up in Portland. These Cornwalls came from a contact I made on this very Bulletin Board also up in Portland--a member of the Oregon Triode Society (he also told me about the Belles). There are several members of the OTS group that have Cornwalls--are you familiar with them? The next meeting is this Wednesday at Portland Brewing.

The Belles need some cosmetic attention, but I haven't run across any for sale locally before, so I had to buy them. My wife doesn't know about the Belles yet (I'll sell the Cornwalls before I tell her).

Drop me an e-mail if you want to buzz down!

Best in Horns,

Triceratops

----------------

On 3/1/2003 4:11:26 AM triceratops wrote:

My wife doesn't know about the Belles yet (I'll sell the Cornwalls before I tell her).

----------------

Isn't this a typo? Did you mean "My wife doesn't know about the Belles yet (I'll sell the Cornwalls before I sell her)."?

fini

----------------

On 3/1/2003 4:11:26 AM triceratops wrote:

Hi Moon,

You are certainly welcome to come to Eugene to check out the Belles and the Cornwalls. The Belles came from Audio Specialties up in Portland. These Cornwalls came from a contact I made on this very Bulletin Board also up in Portland--a member of the Oregon Triode Society (he also told me about the Belles). There are several members of the OTS group that have Cornwalls--are you familiar with them? The next meeting is this Wednesday at Portland Brewing.

The Belles need some cosmetic attention, but I haven't run across any for sale locally before, so I had to buy them. My wife doesn't know about the Belles yet (I'll sell the Cornwalls before I tell her).

Drop me an e-mail if you want to buzz down!

Best in Horns,

Triceratops

----------------

What is Oregon Triode Society? How often do they meet? I kinda gather it must be audio related.

And no I am not familiar with any heritage klipsch at all. Not that I am aware of anyway.

Wife doesn't know about the belles? She gonna let ya have it when she finds out? 9.gif

My wife has been remarkably tolerant of my little hobby. I sold my Klipschorns when we moved to smaller quarters a few years back, then I bought a pair of Maggie SMGa's--but I missed the Klipsch magic. So in the following year I purchased three pairs of Cornwalls (circa 1985, 1977, 1968) as they came up for sale, and a pair of KG-4s.

Why did I need three pairs of Cornwalls? Mostly because one pair got bought out from under me so I adopted a policy of "buy first think about it later." I thought it might be worthwhile to compare Cornwalls of different vintage to listen for some of the things people talk about on this board. I figured if I bought stuff in good shape and treated it well, I could probably get most of my money back when I sold it. I look at it as money spent on my audio education. Even so, my wife has felt that I was taking up a lot of space and tying up a lot of money with my little adventure.

Then a pair of Belles came up locally, and I started to wonder if I might be pressing my luck, since they are even bigger than the Cornwalls, and by this time we were having trouble moving around in the house between the two of us, two kids and a dog. So I bought the Belles and resolved to thin out the herd of speakers before I brought the Belles into the house.

After these cornies go I'll be down to just the Belles and 1968 Cornwalls. I'll have a listen-off between two of those and see if I can get myself pared down to one pair of big speakers. Wish me luck.

Best in Horns,

Triceratops

Hey mOOn,

Oregon Triode Society (OTS) is a club of tube amplifier enthusiasts in Portland. There are everything from high-powered engineers who design boutique audio products for a living, to wacky geniuses who fool around with gear in new and creative ways, to modestly knowledgable audio hobbyists who want to learn more about tube amps from the others.

Not surprisingly there are a number of folks in this group who have Klipsch speakers, and I suspect there are a few sets of Belles or Khorns among them (I know there are several Cornwall owners). They meet on the first and third Wednesday evening each month (unless cancelled for holidays, etc) at Portland Brewing. It's a very cool group, but it's hard for me to get up there often (a 4-hour round trip from Eugene after a day's worth of work and sometimes a lot more driving can be a little rough).

If I lived in Portland I'd be a regular though! They have a website--let me know if you're interested.

Best,

Triceratops

Tri... Yes I would be very interested. Post the link or send it to me.

Right now my theater is undergoing re-construction, and my PC with my web server is unplugged and I am too lazy to reach down and hook it all back up, so I will post here what I have...

RF7s

2 RC7s. 1 center front and 1 center rear

4 RS7s. All 4 are side surrounds

RSW-12

RSW-15

Harman Kardon AVR-520

Harman Kardon PA-4004 (powers my rear and second set of side surrounds)

InFocus ScreenPlay 110 DLP...

I am upgrading my front center RC7 with another RF7 soon and putting the RC7 in back with the other one.

I have been taking pics of the progress of my theater. My web site has pics of it as it was before and after I started construction. Back in January I fell of my latter and shattered my wrist the second day of a 2 week vacation where I was going to spend the entire two weeks working on my theater. Needless to say I didn't get too far. Pissed me off like you wouln't believe. 7.gif

Hey mOOn,

The website for Oregon Triode Society is:

http://oregon-triode.org

Also note that the club is currently involved in a project to help the members collaborate on designing and building a high-quality power amplifier with 300B tubes. You can check out the progress so far at this site. (You can also jump on the bandwagon if the project is of interest to you):

http://oregon-triode.org/seminar/

Look forward to hearing from you soon in regards to a trip to Eugene. If you win the auction I could probably deliver the Cornwalls to you if that helps. Then I could bring the Belles into the house and you could come down to Eugene to have a listen of them and other pair of Cornwalls. Best of luck on the auction!

Horns to You,

Triceratops

----------------

On 3/1/2003 2:08:42 PM triceratops wrote:

"My wife has been remarkably tolerant of my little hobby. I sold my Klipschorns when we moved to smaller quarters a few years back, then I bought a pair of Maggie SMGa's--but I missed the Klipsch magic. So in the following year I purchased three pairs of Cornwalls (circa 1985, 1977, 1968) as they came up for sale, and a pair of KG-4s."

----------------

If you don't mind me buttin' in...I'm curious about the sound differences you heard between your three pairs of Cornwalls. My all-original '79 Cornwalls sound fabulous to my ears, and I've noticed you kept the '68 pair (with verticle horns?)...you must have preferred these above all the others. Is there any major difference in sound quality? Were your Cornwalls all original, or modified in any way?

Thanks for your time.

On 3/2/2003 1:23:30 PM jt1stcav wrote:

If you don't mind me buttin' in...I'm curious about the sound differences you heard between your three pairs of Cornwalls. My all-original '79 Cornwalls sound fabulous to my ears, and I've noticed you kept the '68 pair (with verticle horns?)...you must have preferred these above all the others. Is there any major difference in sound quality? Were your Cornwalls all original, or modified in any way?

Hi jt1stcav,

I should have anticipated someone would ask me this, and I'd like to say I can provide an authoritative answer, but I really can't.

The short answer is that my listening set up wasn't good enough for me to have an actual preference between the characteristics of these three pairs speakers. As you might suspect they all sounded very similar--NOT identical--but VERY similar. They all also sounded great, really an embarrassment of riches. Shall we drive the Lambourghini or the Ferrari tonight, Ursula?

I would compare it to microbrew beer (here's where my Northwest regionalism shows--substitute your own favorite brands of beer, sausages, potato chips, whatever). Bridgeport IPA, Pyramid IPA, and Deschutes Mirror Pond are all excellent beers. One might be a little more hoppy, another a little more floral, another more bitter, but you could live with any of them for years and be a real happy camper. It's tough for me to have a clear favorite in that elite company.

My decisions on which speakers to sell first were based on much more mundane considerations: the 1985's went first because they were oak and my wife doesn't like oak; the 1977's were next in line because they have black grilles and my wife prefers the cane grilles on the 1968's (couldn't swap grilles because of vertical horns on the 1968s). I even bought a number of tube amps to see if there might be some obvious quirks in sound that would haunt me later.

The main variable in this assortment of speakers on my listening set up is the horns with the rope caulk (in the 1977 pair) sounded the best to me--smoother, not as harsh, less ringing. But anyone can make that mod to any Klipsch product in a few hours! Folks might assume the 1985 Cornies must have been inferior because I sold them first. Not so! Those speakers sound fantastic--I think the plastic horns have less tendency to ring than the metal ones so the plastic horns don't need caulk. It's like getting pre-caulked horns.

By the way, all the drivers, crossovers, and wiring appears to be original in all the speakers. None of them were "Animal House" speakers (note that film was shot in Eugene). From the looks of the cabinets and the insides, I don't think any of them were ridden hard and put away wet.

Even so, all the speakers could have been made even better. Given the time and resources I could have optimized the listening comparison with new internal wiring, better terminals, careful cleaning of all contact lugs on the crossovers, using high-end speaker wire from the amp (I've got garden variety stuff), using an SET power amp and low coloration preamp, getting a badass turntable that looks like a piece of NASA gear (I've got an old B&O) and playing a pristine set of new virgin reissued limited edition serialized pressing super heirloom quality vinyl LPs in an audio engineer-designed listening room. I don't doubt that if you did all that and had a pair of more sophisticated ears making the assessment, that one of the pairs might be the clear winner.

The question comes down to which of these great speakers was my favorite? The answer for me was that I didn't care because they were all so much better than the rest of my listening set up that I looked at other considerations that were not sound related. Hopefully, someone on the Board will be able to do a more authoritative comparison some day...

Happy Horns,

Triceratops