Chicago Horn/Bottlehead Meeting

NOSValves

I spent the day at Afredo's abode agian yesterday and like before what a bunch of great people with Diverse taste and gear. Some tube lovers and some SS mostly all DIY types. All freindly as they come. Alfredo's setup has come along way and added Vinyl which sounded of coarse great !!

There was 4 Klipsch forum members in attendance which was a treat to meet the face behing the keyboard and I'm sure they will report there thoughts in this thread.

I brought my 299B and Heresy's along and set them up. I recieved great comments across the board except for one and I wasn't there listening but something went array with the wiring or something so they shut it off. We rewired it all and it sounded great again ! Not sure what the cause was we had the speaker wires actually reversed from there normal path so maybe this was the culprit not really sure !

Craig

It was great meeting you and audioreality at the meeting. That Scott kicks butt - now I know why everyone's going crazy for that combo!! The DIY setup was fun too. I wish I would have spent more time listening to Alfredo's kit - I wanted to pump some 100db Cheese through that setup, but it seemed to be the gathering place for the vinyl/classical freaks, so that never got done.

Maybe Dr. Edgar will allow me such pleasure in Lima.

Something was in the air this weekend too - I ended up driving back up there this morning (15 minutes from Alfredo's house), and picked up the most gorgeous set of mid seventies Cornwalls I've ever seen. These are 1976 designer birch raw, custom finished in cherry, custom grills, plus some absolutely wonderful trim work as well. The owner was a professional woodworker, and the workmanship on these speakers shows just how good he is. I have never seen such good looking Cornwalls - not on the forum - not on ebay - not anywhere. He even had all of the original paperwork - even the warranty cards with serial numbers!! If the seller had ebayed these, the seller might have beaten Clipped and Shorn's $1850 record. Very impressive.

I wish I had a digital camera.

So thanks for rubbing off a bit of Klipsch forum magic on me this weekend9.gif

Just as an aside, Craig:

Switching the polarity on the speaker cables and drivers will alter the phasing of the speaker in question. When hit with a signal, the driver will respond in reverse, with rearward excursion rather than forward. This might have translated into reduced bass response. Doesn't really do any damage; it just sounds sort of strange, like something isn't quite right.

But it sounded like you all had a good time! There are some Texas Bottleheads fairly close to where I live. I should check it out sometime.

Yeah, I had a great time too. Alfredo was a great host. I even ran into a guy knew from about 25-30 years ago from my early college days.

Passive Chappy's Croft OTL valve amp driving Craig's Heresys, TASTY! That amp sounds real good on Klipsch!!!!!!!!! I WANT ONE

Erik,

The polarity wasn't reversed the cable was directional and we had it running backwards because it had large spades on one and small on the other they wouldn't fit the Heresy barrier post I have no idea if this was even the problem. It was really no big deal anyway. I really have no idea what the guy was talking about I never heard the problem and after we changed all the cables everything was fine so no biggie. It works fine here also.

Craig

Oh!

Guess I misunderstood what you (they) were talking about. Heresies are such great speakers! I first heard them about 15 years ago, but couldn't afford them at the time. Maybe I'll look for a pair one day after I get this 'front end' situation straightened out. I'm trying to work out a way to get into Dave Mallett's digital audio server, but am going to have to do it a step at a time.

Take care, Craig

Erik