Up grading to the AK-4

John, stunning work ole' boy! Those are beautiful I would like a pair like that to replace the AK-2's in my '88 Khorns. My La Scala's all have "AA"'s which I'm sure could use some updating. I need to update the old zip cord wiring in them first. $430 in parts alone, Wow! I am sure it is worth it though. Once again, Nice Job!

why AA and not A?

The AA's 3rd order tweeter circuit is a good compromise. First off, by attenuating more of the signal below the crossover point the tweeter's intermodulation distortion numbers will be lower. The risk of mechanical strain and damage to the moving assy is reduced too.

Thanks guys!

And those networks are ALL MINE! :-)

They sound nothing like the stock AA, I ended up selling the stock AA's on ebay a while back.

Poor John will have to build me one or two more pairs when I get a little further along with my project.

I think it's quite interesting; all the comments made about the apparent complexity of the new AK-4 crossover (I admit I don't know anything technical here). So far, I haven't read one negative comment about how the 2002 or newer Klipschorn sounds though. Going forward, it will be even more interesting to find out if the new AK-4 can be tweaked even more with the new tweeter & squaker. Is there room for improvement with the AK-4?

Dear John Warren

I notice your great crossover use 3619 transformer which I recently upgrade too. Do you worry about the change of crossover frequency in different taps ?

What is the tap setting you are using? Have you experimented the settings?

Thanks a lot

Tubelion

Tubelion,

I am quite firmiliar with the verious taps on the 3619 transformer (having wired up about 250 of them!). I can see by the picture that John has the transfor output on tap 4 just like the stock AA from Klipsch. As long as it stays on tap 4 the level will be as PWK wanted it and the woofer / squawker crossover will be ok. You just don't want to move it without some other changes to compensate.

BTW.. That's a pretty job John, but setting parts at 45 deg angles bothers me! I like everything at right-angles. It's like a picture hanging crooked on the wall like that! OOOch!

Al K.

Dear John and AL,

I am not familiar with 3619 and Type AA, so I need you to explain a little further, maybe with photo, what is the default setting? tap 4 and what other tap?

Can I have the photo on both sides of transformer? Mine is 4 and x on the same side, yours is on both sides.

Can anyone tell me the default setting of type A? I like to use what PWK used.

Thanks very much

Tubelion

Tubelion,

The X and 4 taps are on the back. All the other taps are on the front (It really doesn't have a back or front, I just like to call the side with the most taps as the front). The Klipsch T2A transformer that came one the AA didn't have an "X" tap. If it did have it, the numbers would have been 6,5,4,3,2,1 and 0. Since x is lower than 1 I coudn't call it 1/2 so I called it "X" which is short for "eXtra"! Anyhow, the taps could be thought of a -3db, -6db, -9dB and -12dB. The "x" taps is -15db. This is all with respect to tap 0, which is normally common ground. The "extra" tap give you the flexability to move the output "common" to X to get intermediate settings between the others. The input still goes between 5 and 0.

Al K.

• 1 month later...

Trey,

From your 1st post on this thread:

"Tanya was happy to have her 1996 WO Khorns playing again. (blown tweeters due to an amp problem) She told me they sound better than they ever did, while listening to her new CD titled Tanya. She started singing along with the CD and I now know for a fact that the Klipschorn sounds just like the real thing."

She liked the sound and so did you.....so now I'm curious: What electronics (amp, pre-amp, Cd player), speaker wire, & interconnect was she using with her Klipschorns? I know it's been a while since you visited, but how are the memory banks holdin' up?? Thanks! Austin

• 1 month later...

Trey,

From one of your earlier posts on this thread:

"The k-55-x when used in with the ak-4 network does not need a autoformer. As AL stated, there are other ways to reduce the voltage to the mid. I can answer the question of what networks will the 55x work with after we finish our testing. We are only looking at the last 20 or so years.

(AA,AK,AK-1,AK-2,AK-3) Therefore, it the driver will work with the A network would only be a guess.

When we finish, I will post again and let you all know what we find.

I can tell you this, after installing the AK-4 upgrade to one of Steve's 1977 Khorns, we could not tell the difference between the 2003 model and the 1977. Using the old woofer was not a issue.

We have taken over 120 pic's so far. Most of them will end up in the manual."

......How did the listening go? Did you find out what is compatible with what? Also is the manual available now? Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

----------------

On 5/1/2003 6:13:47 PM John Warren wrote:

PWK has already given us the best network for the Klipschorn, the AA, so why settle?

Just dust his design off and use better components (try not to kill anything over 12kHz this time!).

Below is the proper embodiment of the AA, it consists of premium quality, low loss hardware (Hovlands caps and Alpha Core foils). The woofer choke can be mounted either on the access door or the floor, your choice.

Note that a complete *pair* of networks are shown

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/aa-5%20pair.jpg" width=1598 border=0>

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/aa-7%20pair.jpg" width=1596 border=0>

Below is a "single" AK-4. So, I wonder is this level of complexity really necessary?

It looks like you guys have gone "nuts" with the network modelling software. Just who "is" at the helm here? Also, I see you dumped the autotransformer, in favor of Lpads. Didn't PWK hate Lpads?? (once the cat's away the mice will........).

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/DSC000261.JPG" border=0>

----------------

Love the cross overs, John. Not only better sound, but works of art too.

Now all I need is for you to make me a pair and post them to England!3.gif

I'm just in the process of thinking how to upgrade my late 70s Speakerlab versions. So any of you experts out there....

In the meantime, I'll prowl the back issues here to glean what I can. Like, how come I've got a wooden-and larger-mid horn 'lens' on mine? for example.....

Chris.