Up grading to the AK-4

• Klipsch Employees

I am sorry Al. That statement was not meant to be a slam. I will be more specific when we are finished, but at first glance it does look like your networks will work with the k-55-x, as should the AA network. This is all just a first look at the system. I want to confirm this all before we start telling people it will work. The ALK network looks very much like the AA in the curves. The impedance is more consistent in the ALK. (Good job!)

I guess what I should have said is folks may want to consider the AK-4 as a complete upgrade. It does come with new HF drivers.

At some time we will let the AK-4 schematic out, but not right now.

BTW: The Khorns we are using to upgrade started with your networks in them, we changed them back to AA for the manual.

post-4254-13819246705854_thumb.jpg

Trey,

Yes, I think your wording did imply a direct attack on my design. No harm

done I suppose.

I'm curious about the difference between the photograph of the network you

just posted and the photo sent to me taken of the network in a production

Khorn. The one you just posted looks well made and the other was a mess! It

looked like a prototype or "breadboard". Why would a production speaker have

a breadboard network in it? Does Klipsch plan to upgrade earlier versions of

the AK-4?

There is a major similarity between my network and the AA. Both are first

order (6 dB / octave) networks crossing the woofer to the tweeter. That would

make the response similar. The load presented to the amp will be quite

different though. My design is constant impedance due to the addition of an

additional part not found in the AA (the 39 uFd + 1 uFd bypass caps).

Al K.

• Klipsch Employees

Al, I do apologize for my wording. I sometimes talk like Trey and not Klipsch, as I should. Steve and I were having so much fun learning about the Khorn, I kind of go carried away. I will email you the info I find about your networks.

The first ak-4 was built point to point. We now have the network built on a PCB. Yes, it did look a mess and looks a ton better now. Some of the first production ak-4 Khorns have the point-to-point network. They sound the same.

Therefore, we do not see the need to upgrade the early units.

• Klipsch Employees

Sorry, but they just will not sell cabinets.

The transformers lowered the power to the mid horn. With the new driver there was no real need for the transformer. The zener diodes were for over power protection. The new units have a polyswitch for protection.

Hey guys,

I learn that the new drivers does not need a transformer, it is an upgrade to me.

Trey, If I use Type A and new drivers, does it mean I can use no transformer, and keep the 13 and 2 mf.

Hoe to order from your parts dept? website or email please.

Thanks

Tubelion

Trey,

I think you should be more specific when you say that the new driver doesn't need a transformer. If the level has been replaced by a resistor pad, that statement is going to confuse a bunch of people just as it did "tubelion". I suspect that you could not reduce the sensitivity of the K55 driver to a point that would no require attenuation of some sort without messing up it's performace! I suggest that it DOES need either a transformer or a resistor pad. Using a resistor pad over a transformer is simply the judgment of the engineer who designed the network.

Al K.

• Klipsch Employees

The k-55-x when used in with the ak-4 network does not need a autoformer. As AL stated, there are other ways to reduce the voltage to the mid.

I can answer the question of what networks will the 55x work with after we finish our testing. We are only looking at the last 20 or so years.

(AA,AK,AK-1,AK-2,AK-3) Therefore, it the driver will work with the A network would only be a guess.

When we finish, I will post again and let you all know what we find.

I can tell you this, after installing the AK-4 upgrade to one of Steve's 1977 Khorns, we could not tell the difference between the 2003 model and the 1977.

Using the old woofer was not a issue.

We have taken over 120 pic's so far. Most of them will end up in the manual.

Trey,

I think that you will find that if the k55X will work with the AA and later

networks, it will also work with the A network. This shows that its

sensitivity is the same as the K55V and K55M drivers. This also says that the

AK-4 MUST use a resistive attenuator pad to cut down the sensitivity to match

the woofer and tweeter since there is no transformer. The photograph clearly

shows "cement" type wire-wound power resistors that are normally used for "L"

pads. By the way, wire-would resistors are ok. The tiny amount if inductance

they have is totally insignificant and are even fine for the 10 Ohm swamping

resistor in my network design. I have used them in a few places in the

extreme-slope networks I am using in my modified Belles.

Al K.

Jim is right! The transformer makes the squawker filter act like a second order filter (12 dB / octave) at the extreme low end. This is becasue it's inductance is very high. Without it, extreme lows would get into the squawker driver and may fry it. The zeners are a bad idea though. They do protect the tweeter at high levels but do so by SHORTING OUT the amp! That's not so good!

Al K.

Trey,

This may sound like a premature & dumb question.....the most recent posts focus on compatibility of older crossovers with the current squaker, but what about compatibility with the new tweeter? When I spoke with Klipsch technical support recently I was told the new tweeter would not work with my older crossover either (I have the type A network). Would appreciation any help. Thank you.

Austin

• Klipsch Employees

We are set up to test that tonight. We are to pull the ak-4 network out and place the AA in, leaving the drivers.

One thing that all the testing does not tell us the whole story on is how it sounds. We have been listing to the new and upgrade khorn today. Trying to get as many ears" as we can. So far everyone agrees they are the same.

We have to test for a bit, then listen for a bit. Speakers can test good and sound bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Well John,

PWK didn't like the L-pads, but the autoformers have 3 dB steps and a 1.5 dB step is now needed. The -X lost a little efficiency. I'll bet that 1.5 dB step was deemed too small to justify the $25 cost + development of a new autoformer. I won't mention its fashionability.