Up grading to the AK-4

I don't even really know yet...buying these KHorns was a lark...12' X 14' room with 8' ceilings...this will be 2 channel (maybe even mono...9.gif ) and I like many kinds of music...Classical to rock with some jazz from time to time...volumes from low to medium to loud at times...I have another 2 channel system with Heresys that is not going away (upstairs bedroom) and the HT is downstairs...so this is 1st floor livingroom...My older brother says make these the front mains in the HT but I think not...just 2 channel more than likely...sort of a tribute to my father that always wanted these...he listened mostly to Classical and even marching band (he was in the Military...)

Bill

----------------

On 3/20/2005 11:51:07 PM silversport wrote:

It seems that my woofers may be kaput as well...so I guess I still got a decent deal on the cabinets anyway...

----------------

If the cabinets scrub up alright, it still seems very good value with the AK4 upgrade. As you suggest, you're still saving lots of $$$$, and getting 2005 sound.

Thanks edwinr...they have scrubbed up so far pretty decent...they have dings and dents and scratches but at least right now I am telling myself that this is their character...hopefully when this is all done they will look decent and sound like new!

Bill

Bill --

If their condition tends to bother you long-term, perhaps down the road you could find a K-horn in better condition and transfer the AK-4 into it.

The cutaway drawing you posted is excellent, makes the wave flow the clearest I've ever seen. What you're seeing there is not the very rare pair of pyramidal inserts that I had, which pointed toward the front, but rather the "splitter," a horizontal trianglular cross-section piece pointing toward the back.

Larry

Ahhhh, I see...I appreciate your input and read your posts! Thanks, it inspired me to find that drawring...on a German website no less...anyway...I will order the woofers and whole package...The cabs I have are sound (no pun intended) but cosmetically about a 6.5...I will tidy them up a bit more and perhaps with newly made side grills, new cloth and all new speakers and crossovers they will be just fine...I don't want to veneer them but if I just did the top and fron, it wouldn't be too bad either...Thanks, I gain my strength to tackle this problem from all of you...it's what made me pull the trigger on these as well.

Bill