My belles have arrived

m00n

I have been married, divorced and remarried, but my Khorns have been with me all along. Both wives were told I come with baggage, meaning the Khorns (and 2 kids more with present wife)!

I have already congratulated m00n, and now congratulate Jim on his new job! (Any deals for your pals here on the forum????? Like sound cards, recording goodies, bass strings, Kubicki basses, etc????)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks lynnm and Andy! I'm at their warehouse/front desk for now, but the sales staff at Guitar Center will hook you up! Green Tag Sales all the time, vintage/used gear at giveaway prices, and the salespeople will meet (and beat) any advertised price from anyone...plus they'll throw in some drum sticks, guitar strings and pics, and 1/4" patch cords with your purchase! It's a brand new store in Lakeland and its grand opening isn't until this time next month!

Hey wait...this is m00n's thread...his moment of glory! I really want him to setup those Belles properly so he can hear for himself what all Belle owners here have told him all along! And maybe use different components than his HT equipment...his Belles are very unforgiving with the wrong gear. Eventually, he'll hear a major difference!

M00n,

Congratulations on the Belles and their safe arrival.

A good cleaning of the networks, their connections and several applications of Boiled Linseed Oil will have them looking great. My Belles are 76 Model year too, they are completely original. To me, time and money would be better spent towards getting your source components. I'm sure you will get the best placement the room & wife allows.

Best to ya,

Wes

Again, thanks all... Too many replies to address each and everyone givin my time constraints right now. 4.gif

I plan on cleaning the crossovers and connections. And again oiling them hopefully this weekend. BTW, how long with the oil stench stick around?

m00n

That's why you use 'boiled' linseed oil instead of 'raw'. The boiled oil has drying agents in it -- should be smell free in a few hours. I wouldn't call it a 'stench' -- I kind of like the smell myself. The buzz lasts a few hours more.9.gif

Geez, we are becoming total paranoids! Boiled linseed oil will not harm you, unless (like an idiot) you drink it. It will not harm your children, unless they lick it while the wood is damp, in which case they might throw up. Most children will not lick things (like speakers) unless they taste good. Boiled linseed oil does not taste good. I have been refinishing furniture using linseed oil for 40 years, and it has never made me or anyone else sick. In fact, I sort of like the smell, and I'm normal, damn it! JUST ASK ME! Attached is a Klipsch publication advising you to oil your cabinets several times a year, using "quality furniture oil". Boiled linseed oil is a "quality furniture oil". Last month I bought a set of '86 Belles which had some scratches and water rings on the top. I used 000 steel wool and some elbow grease, along with lots of boiled linseed oil and the marks almost disappeared. The second time (2 weeks later)the marks DISAPPEARED and the cabinets acquired a rich, deep *G*L*O*W*. Since this bulletin will aonly allow one attachment, I'll do a second with a pic of the Belle.

post-11579-13819246807734_thumb.jpg

Go buy the finest steel wool you can find: 000 or 0000 (0000 is better if available). Unroll the pad and use half at a time. Pour some linseed oil on the top of the speaker and start scrubbing WITH THE GRAIN. Do the whole speaker, paying particular attention to any imperfections. Like I said in my first post, one of my speakers had big black water rings, about 98% of which came out. You can't tell where they were unless I point it out to you, or you REALLY look hard. When you're done, wait about 15 minutes and wipe it down with old rags. Wait a few weeks and do it again - wipe it down and when dry polish with an old towel. I had a pair of KG4s (which had no imperfections) and used to wipe on boiled linseed oil every six months or so. The wood just drinks up the oil. I just gave the KG4s to my son and they look like new.

Peter

Just soak the steel wool pad and scrub in the direction of the grain, not across the grain. The veneer is quite durable and will not be damaged unless it is already peeling. Fine steel wool when moistened with oil is not nearly as abrasive as you think. I start by pouring some oil on the top and then working it in with the steel wool. Obviously you can't pour oil in the vertical panels, so pour it on the steel wool pad and work with it. The wood will drink up an amazing amount of oil. Peter

Oh yeah, I will post some pics... I will get this issue resolved there is no doubt about that. I am not going to spend this amount on these baddies to have a blown driver for long2.gif

Even with a blown woofer driver, I can already tell what I like and don't like about them. I am truly amaized just from the little exposure I have had with them, how placement does play a part. If I move my head just a couple of inches, I can hear a big difference in sound.

I think battle on the WAF front is coming along good. I think we may have comprimised on something. However it requires getting rid of a couch and getting a new nice chair. This works for both and gives me more room along the wall that I want to use. 1.gif... I may not be able to get a full 12' sepparation, but I should be able to get about 8' center to center.

Moon, this is a good article, but remember that it primarily addresses finishes which have "lacquer, varnish, polyurethane, or shellac" coats on them. I believe Klipsch did make a varnished cabinets (I've seen some Cornwalls), but many of cabinets were simply "oiled wood", as mine are. From your pictures, yours look like they are oiled wood, but I may be wrong. If they have a protective coating on them, they will have to be stripped completely before you can finish them in oil. "Oiled wood" finishes are not glossy like varnish or polyurethane, etc. finishes are, but simply raw wood with oil on them. So, make certain of what you are starting with. Using steel wool on a "finished" cabinet will probably screw up the finish.

Peter