ACK. One of my belles drivers is not working

m00n

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I sent her an email last night. If I don't hear from her by 3:00ish my time, I am going to call her. I hope she is willing to work with me on this. She seemed like a nice lady, but at the same time, she is on the ball and seems very sharp. I have a feeling she can smell BS, I only hope she understands that I am not feeding her BS.

m00n, you poor man...your first experience with eBay, and now a defected bass driver...I can see why you were reluctant to do this the first time. Nonetheless, you own a very fine pair of Belles, and with all the fine help from all these knowledgable Forum members, you'll get squared away in no time. All I can give you is moral support. Please don't let this drag you down. You are not the first person to have a bad first experience with purchasing used gear from eBay, and it's certainly no reflection on the quality of Heritage horn speakers. Hopefully the seller will help you out, and if you do replace both bass drivers, your Belles will be as good as new! At least I know my Cornwalls have never been abused, since my dad originally bought them, and he never listened to his music loud! Good luck, man...hope you're back to listening to your Belle Klipsch real soon, and enjoying every minute of it (even if they were a headache at first, thru no fault of their own)!

moon, i bought a k33e from klipsch for the cornwalls. the price was $100 and that included shipping. the new one has a round magnet, while the used one i bought off ebay has a square mag. paid the same price for the used one. if i had to do over again, i would buy two new. dave

Moon,

I had Simply Speakers replace the diaphrams in my Belles. They did a great job and returned them within 2 weeks! I'd go for the repair. It will be just as good as new, but with the same original parts.

Don't feel bad. - I bought my Belles from someone with bad tweeters. I think they were so deaf they really did not even know that they were blown. The guy turned out to be a real loser. Would not pay for the $80 in repairs.

----------------

On 3/27/2003 7:43:08 PM m00n wrote:

Regarding soldering, is there anything I need to know and be aware of? I have heard there are different tempature soldering irons. Do I need to get one that does not exceede a different temp?

Thanks.

----------------

When I bought my rear channel heresys, they had blown tweeters. I ordered them new from Klipsch, & they had the wires already on them. If the woofers are the same, you may not need to worry about soldering.

Hey mOOn,

I wish I had seen this earlier. Your woofer was undoubtedly damaged with too much power, like Ray said. The melted voice coil has frozen the diaphragm, like Ray said. It can be repaired by reconing (replacing the cone, voice coil, voice coil former spider and cone suspension as a unit). Klipsch used to recone the driver for you for about $75 and test the results. That's what I'd do.

If the other drivers are working, they will be fine. If you want to be anal-retentive, have both woofers reconed. The K-33-E and K-33 are made by Eminence. I have never found any reason for the change in designation. A good repair station can properly recone the driver IF they use the correct kit from Eminence. The part number will be a silver ink stamp on the back of the cone.

This is not a fatal problem and overhauling every driver will only cost about $75 or so each. After the overhauls, all drivers will be as perfect as new, even though only one needs it.

It will not hurt to replace the wiring in your Belles, though it may not help.

John, thanks for the input. It may have been unnecessary, but I decided to order 2 brand new drivers directly from Klipsch which I have already placed my order. The other driver seems to be working just fine, but I decided to replace both anyway. I will keep it as a spare or sell it if someone is interested in buying it. 1.gif

Hi John.

When I said it "was not repairable" I was going based on my experience with my fried woofer cone. The insulation had melted, coated the inside of the magnet, the cap on the back of the voice coil, burned through the spider, and when it cooled there was this epoxy-like substance fusing everything inside the motor housing into a lump of interestingly shaped but rather unmusical mess. Dalquist charged me $35 1985 dollars to tell me that I needed a new $350 woofer assembly. If that was an extreme situation, and theses things can generally be repaired without replacing the whole shebang, I hope I didn't steer m00n wrong.

Thanks.

Hi Ray,

I remembered your story. I figured it was on the outside of normal. I fried 4 sub drivers at once in my VMPS with an Acurus A250; my first damage to a speaker. Mine failed from excessive heat, but could have been reconed. I didn't, opting for the high power drivers. They now have a 500 watt rating, each.

i don't want to embarrass you. How is you employment going?

You fried the woofers in *BOTH* your vmps *LARGER* subwoofers?

Was your house still standing?

Employment, what a concept.

But seriously, my two partners and I (together the ex-CEO, ex VP of Logistics, and ex-CTO/CIO (me) of Freshnex.com) formed our own company about a year ago, focusing our new business on doing only one thing out of the many things that Freshnex tried to do, but the one thing that seemed to bring the most value to Freshnex's customers - helping people who ship perishable products (primarily fresh fish and meat) overnight using FedEx. Our customers ship their products using our nationwide account number, and we handle all the tracking and expediting, making sure stuff gets where it's supposed to get, when it's supposed to get there, in the condition it's supposed to be in. We have a very close relationship with FedEx, and I've tied our servers and systems into their back-end processes so we get detailed real-time tracking and status info on all our packages moving through their system. Basically, we let out customers stop worrying about whether everything is going to get delivered on time, and free them from having to chase down errant packages or dealing with FedEx to try to get something rerouted or expedited. They can concentrate on selling.

I will have a website up on April 15th. Won't be fancy, just a brief overview of who we are, what we do, a demo of how the system works, then a secure area where our clients can log in and get real time snapshots of all their packages - where they are, whether there are any problems, what we're doing to move something that, for example, got stuck in Memphis when the can came in after the outgoing flight had left.

it has been *VERY* *VERY* difficult to get this going, because the three of us decided that after our experience with Freshnex, if we were going to do this, we would do it ourselves without taking any outside investments of any sort from anyone. As the three of us were wiped out by our, uh, in retrospect stupid insistance of trying to keep Freshnex going until the bitter end, paying our employees and vendors out of our own pockets until we ran out of money, resulting in personal bankruptcy for 33% of our team ( 10.gif ), we have had to scrimp along. We are getting to the point where revenue is sufficient to take some money home each month after we pay all our bills and settle all our accounts, and things continue to expand slowly. If this keeps up for a few more months, I think we'll be on the road to prosperity. It's a long, winding road, mind you, but at least this time I don't have a bunch of suits on a board who'd rather shut down a thriving business than accept any "exposure" that wasn't 110% secured.

Sorry about the long winded answer...

Uh, things are good. How bout you?