OK, looks like I need to clean some vinyl

AndyKubicki

Well, my first trip will be to get those 300 LPs I have cleaned up and straightened out. You know how I don't like noise! But at least I'll be able to hear some records I haven't heard in years.

I just looked at the NeedleDoctor.com site and I'm not getting the Nitty Gritty record cleaner. Does anybody have any suggestions as to a cheaper good cleaner? I remember using the Diskwasher stuff and that left residue and probably added to my noise level. I even found a bottle of Last Stylus cleaner and stylus brush in my garage! Is any of this stuff good? http://www.needledoctor.com/showcat.cfm?catnum=10&parentcatnum=1

I don't know what the cartridge is, but according to the seller, it's new. I'll have to check make sure the needle didn't stiffen up.

Andy,

You can call Nitty Gritty and ask if they have any "factory seconds" for sale. It's been awhile since I bought mine. They might call them "B stock" or something similar. Anyway, the discount is pretty substantial and I could not find where mine was "blemished". BTW, Nitty Gritty is pretty close to OC.

Trying to get my passport together to visit the Orange Curtain,

Chris

Two things, Andy:

While I have a Nitty Gritty, I use it mainly for drying. When records really need cleaning, I use mild detergent, warm water, and a baby washcloth for a gently scrub.

Second, there is no need to put up with noise. About 90% of all noise not related to damage can be eliminated by DBX. Any of them from the old 117 up will help, but the best starts at 3BX (which go for around 80.00 on Ebay) and up. As a bonus, you get near CD dynamic range that fixes the only realy technical drawback to the LP (aside from susceptability to damage).

And, if you record them to a high digital rate, you can get the above benefits, then get rid of the pops and crackles completey for a "CD on steriods" awesome listening experience.

BTW, the cartridge APPEARS to be an Audio-Technica, though it's a bit fuzzy.

Dave

My favorite cleaning technique coincides with my fav drinking technique (LOL). Any high quality 100 proof Vodka like Smirnoff Silver or better. Followed by a treatment of GrooveGlide.

I figure if its pure enough to put into your body, certainly its safe enough for vinyl. Hmmm....never tried GrooveGlide-in-a-glass!!! Might be good for constipation. Come to think of it, might be good lots of other stuff! (LOL)

Dave....I'm surprised you like that old DBX stuff. It seemed to ALWAYS take something away from the music IMO.

Artto:

No way. Whatever very small degradation there may be from passing through the circuit (I hear none, but perhaps I am deaf), the complete or (depending on the pressing) near complete removal of base noise and the expansion of the otherwise compressed dynamics completely overrides. I would listen to a lot less LP's without it. Like many say, the noise can be distracting...especially when you know it simply isn't necessary. I have maybe 10 LP's that are acceptable without it...and even then I use about a 1.1 to insure absolute CD-like silence between cuts.

You may have heard either a bad unit or a poorly adjusted one. It takes some time to learn to adjust to each pressing. Takes me all of about 3 seconds now, but 20 years ago I had to fiddle.

JMOH.

Dave