New 2003 Klipschorns

DTLongo

Am attaching a pic of one of my new 2003 Klipschorns, delivered April 6, 2003 after a six-month wait. If this pic succeeds I will post a couple of more pics of their innards.

My initial comments on these speakers are on the General forum, which apparently is temporarily closed for new stuff but you can still read recent postings.

post-10590-13819246940512_thumb.jpg

Very nice, are those finished in Oak Clear? The finish looks like my Oak Clear Belle's because it certainly looks lighter than my Oak Oil Khorns. I am really intersted to see the horn drivers and crossover networks though, bring on the photos! Congrats on a stunning pair of brand spanking new Khorns! 9.gif

Geez, that looks pretty sloppy for a factory crossover, the zip ties aren't even neatly clipped. The components (capacitors anyway) look decent though, the coils look like really thin spun wire though. Damn Al your ALK's look neater and better laid out than the new AK-4's and they want $1800 for those things with drivers! I think they could have done a much job better myself, looks like it was just quickly slapped together what a shame. I could do better than that without even trying hard.

thanks Al, I noticed the lack of autotransformer as well...and those resisitors, hard to tell about quality from the photo. but certainly the coils are not SOTA...clearly changed from the AK-3...well I have my ALKs and I am anxious to hear them with my now ready for shipping 2A3 PP amps...regards, tony

• 8 months later...

"Worded another way, what advantage does the autoformer provide?"

A more connected path to the damping of the amplifier. With resistors you are isolating the drivers from the damping factor (output impedance) of your amp.

I read somewhere on hear though that the K55x wasn't as efficient as earlier models so it might not have needed the autoformer or resistors though. Until someone traces out the new crossover we couldn't say for sure though.

Shawn

• 5 weeks later...