Senn HD-600 vs. Grado RS-1

prodj101

Personally, I would go with the Grado 80 or 125. But I never listened to either one. Duhhhh! But I have been considering buying a Grado and have examined many reviews of them and these are the two models I would consider in the "budget" range.

Of course, ho holds barred, I would consider the upper level models of Grado. But methinks I would be perfectly happy with the Grado 125.

I would also consider the Koss ESP-950. 3.gif

I would get the Senns... I have the 580's and if the 600's sound better than these, then I'd DEFINETELY get them. I just built yet another amp for mine, and this one sounds much better than the others, but not totally what I want... so I am still designing my 'ultimate' headphone amp. I have never heard the Grado's, though, and supposedly they have a great rock and roll sound. The Senns are quoted as being laid back, but I think mine can fit any type of music to my tastes. So, really... if you could hear both and decide, you'd be better off. Otherwise, you will just get diehard Grado/Senn fans competing for a new purchase.

CatManFever, the comparison is between the RS-1 and the Senn HD-600's, but thanks anyway. The RS-1's are somethin like 600 and the HD-600's are around 400. I have heard the RS-1's are the absolute best headphones around, and not that it's saying much, but they were also stereophiles product of the year 2 years in a row. I think the HD-600's have a more "neutral" sound, but than again, klipsch aren't exactly neutral and I love them. I guess I'll have to make a round down to the audio shop and check them both out.

to begin with go to headroom.com, they can tell you sooo much, although it is only opinion, i have had both, and while the senns are more than respectical cans, the grados are by far the better can, it is like going from reference to heritage, i think what i am saying is that there is a measure of refinement that you just dont quite get with senn, the first time i really heard performers take breaths during songs was with my grados12.gif

This has got me interested. Some people just down the hall from my office had b1tched about my Tivoli Model Two radio being too loud (and I had the thing barely turned up - but it did turn a few heads 1.gif), so now I'll have to find a good set of headphones to plug in the provided headphone jack on the Tivoli (but after hours, I'll crank that thing up as loud as I want 9.gif). I figured either a set of the Grados or the Sennheisers would be nice. What I have to go through just to get some decent sound in my office (just don't want the typical Wally World cheap junk - think I got spoiled by my Klipsch setup 6.gif).

Stereophile LOVES the HD600. Sound and Vision LOVES the HD600, and the 580 and the 580Jubilee.

I tried both. Grado sounds great but UNCOMFORTABLE.

I feel that the HD600's sound VERY much like Klipsch. Infact, I listen to the headphones and my heresy's at the same time because of their open design and how well they match up. try that out for size. talk about an experience!

----------------

On 4/12/2003 12:46:30 AM justin_tx_16 wrote:

Infact, I listen to the headphones and my heresy's at the same time because of their open design and how well they match up. try that out for size. talk about an experience!

----------------

I do that too sometimes. Mostly, though, I just listen through my computer (of all things...) because ti has a volume control. I fit so much crap into my amp box I couldn't fit a volume control in it. But it is no matter- I am working on a digital one now. 9.gif

"I tried both. Grado sounds great but UNCOMFORTABLE."

On a lot of days, I wear my Grado sr125's for 4 hours before lunch, and 4 hours after lunch. When I first auditioned them, I thought they might not be as comfortable as other brands, however, when you own them and can play with them a little, you can find a configuration that feels perfect. The band on the Grados is metal and easily shaped. Big head? Just bend the band so you get the amount of tension you like. I rarely remember I'm even wearing mine anymore. Plus, I think the Grados have a much more in-your-face type sound. I thought they sounded much more like a Klipsch then the Senns.

-MKL

I hane never listened to the Grados, The senns sound pretty darn good to me. If i remember correctly, when you auditioned the senns vs the Grados you told me on aim that night that the Grados outpreformed by far. I would stick with your first opinion. I mean both are nice headphones, but it seemed to me you prefered the Grados. WHatever you decide, enjoy.

I own the Sennheiser Hd600s. I used to own a pair of Grados (the 125's, not the RS-1). When I wanted to upgrade, I ordered BOTH the RS-1 and the HD600 from Audio Advisor. I told the sales guy that I was going to order both, then return one of them under the 30 day money back policy. He said fine.

In my opinion, with my system and my music and my ears, there was no comparison. The HD600s were far, far far superior to the Grados. Both the RS-1 and the 600 were way better than the 125's, but the HD600 were so much more communitive... best example of the difference - when using the Grado's, if I swapped out my Audio Alchemy DTIPro from betweent the DVD player and the Adcom GDA600 D/A, I thought I could hear a slight difference, but it was hard to tell whether there really was a difference or whether I just thought there was (sort of impossible to do a blind test like this - wife couldn't begin to hook up digital chain with/without DTIPro without my help), and I couldn't really articulate exactly wthat the difference was. With the HD600, the diffenece was clear and unambiguous.

Also, while they both hdad deep bass, the pitch deliiation and articulation, and tonality of the bass was much better with the Sennheisers.

The Sennheiser's also fit all the way around your ears, while the Grados sit on you ears. Whether you find one more comfortable than the other is a matter of personal preference. I like the around the ear version much better myself.

Why not buy both from Audio Advisior, try them, and return the one you don't like as much?

Ray

Time for TheEAR who owns both to give his piece of mind

As all newbs know the HD600 are a pleasure to wear after a few stretches and if you dont have a pompkin sized cranium(if you have then go see a good surgeon).

The RS1 are by no means ViseGrip and can as far as my set goes are a great fit.

Sound wise,both are world class performers.And both need a good quality headphone amp to really enjoy them to the fullest.

The HD600 is more neutral,more revealing...more transparent.They are ruthless in extracting detail.

WIth my Headroom MAX and driven from the Pioneer DVAX10 with well mastered CD's you cannot beat this level of transparency even with mega buck speakers in a fully treated room!

The RS1 on the other side reward you will a more speaker like,"real" sound.Its hard to describe but they are more musical then the HD600.The RS1's should be called head speakers,not headphones.Still great detail and transparency abound.A delight to listen to

Me I could not make my mind so...I purchased both

LOL

Ah life is so tough 1.gif

Just a little late: Moments before I showed up at the local thrift store this AM, someone had snagged-no joke- Stax SR-5 headphones and amp. Paid $2. I tried to make an offer, but she wouldn't even consider it. She didn't even know they were quality cans. Am I bummed? Uh, yeah...

fini

• 5 weeks later...

Happy ending: I was in the same thrift store today, and this same lady is there. She notices me and says "Do you want those headphones?" I said, "Uh, yeah!" She couldn't get them to work, and I said I was up to the challenge of repairing them9.gif9.gif9.gif .

So, she gives them to me! On close inspection, there is a bit of funkiness going on with them (a few cracked/broken parts, some silicone caulking used for repair), but they DO work, and sound awesome (although the volume balance is way off. The Stax repair guy in So. CA thinks it may be the diaphragm going, or something in the SRD-X amp). There may not be replacement parts available, but for the price ($0), I can't complain!

fini