Dark Side of The Moon 5.1 mix

timerr

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have 5.1 capability on my system as far as DVD-A and SACD goes.

I do think the CD layer sounded better than the original remaster.

For some reason, my DVD player wouldn't play it though. Thought I would mention that. I have read some other members on another forum had some of the same problems. I take it has to do with maybe older DVD players. Mine is the Pioneer DV-525. No problmes on my other players though.

Wished I could tell you more.

Very good, played it last night for some friends. They thought it was "unbelievable." And considering it used to cost about 12 dollars its well worth the purchase price. They did a great job with the two surround channels, the foot steps and voices, bells, coins, everything is very enveloping.

Yes, this has a great multi channel mix, which you need an SACD player to listen to. It sounds better than the stereo mix--with the multi channel mix they went back to the multitrack tapes, rather than using a mixdown tape.

The Floyd envisioned this originally in quad, so 5.1 is a lot closer to the original concept of the sound than the stereo version. And everybody approved the new mix.

I don't have the quad LP, but I've read about it and there are some slight differences in the mix and in placement (besides the center channel difference). But SACD is a major improvement over quad LP both in terms of the groove info on the vinyl and the playback equipment.

Sweet......Listened to the DSOM\SACD at the local "Tweeter" here in Fairfax, VA a couple weeks ago. Although, It was only playing in 2ch mode it was a very enveloping experience (Sounds were all over the place).

The Set-up was the Klipsch RF-7's, B&K 2ch amp+ B&K Pre, and Sony's SACD M222es.

Needless to say, My Buddy walked out with The Floor set of RF-7's, matching Center, and the Sony Sacd Player.

That audition makes me wanta get on the sacd bus........Very sweet!!!

J

Last night I read your comments on this remix, so I had to run out to get it and see how it sounded on my new system. WOW! This SACD is phenomenal. You guys that have a sub must really get some low frequencies on many of the cuts. My Belles put out a lot of bass, but only to about 50hz.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I had to go out and buy it and I still don't have a SACD player yet. On the wish list. Sounds very good in 2 channel. One thing I did notice is at the intro (heartbeat), the soundstage seems louder than the older version I have on CD. Anyone else notice this or are my RF3's playing tricks on my ears again?.....

It's not on DVD-A (yet?). Maybe someday.

Funny you should ask. I just listened to the 30th Anniversary LP yesterday and it's a keeper. I've only listened to it once so far. The vinyl is amazingly quiet. I think it was supposed to be the same mix as the SACD but I noticed that it was missing some of the upper freqencies on a few of the songs on side two. I will have to wait until this weekend to listen again. If you don't have the Moble Fidelity vinyl (as I don't) I would highly recommend this as an alternative. I'm planing to try to do a shoot out between the Mofi and the 30th versions in a few weeks.

I've compared the SACD to the Mobile Fidelity UD1 and they both have their merits. Some things the 30th Anniversary does better, and other things the UD1 does better. So yep, they both have there place on my shelf.

And yes, the wife has already asked why I had to have some many copies of this. If you have to ask you wouldn't understand. Luckily I got rid of the UDII before the 30th's arrived.3.gif

I'm glad to read the good response on this SACD. There's a lot of great new stuff available on SACD now. DSOM(hopefully other Floyd stuff to come soon), a couple from Aerosmith and on the mellow end of the spectrum Norah Jones, who's welcome to sit in my lap and sing to me anytime. 1.gif

I'm looking for the day when SACD will be available with car audio systems. That would be seriously sweeeeet!!

Like 'Easylistener', I too went out and bought a SACD specifically to hear this in it's full glory. I was not disappointed. The feeling of envelopment is very pronounced. Clarity is phenomenal. Once again, I was treated to sounds I had never heard before, and I like most have been listening to this album for most of my life. Bass management and distance compensation, the well publicized 'achilles heel' of both SACD and DVD-A are not an issue as I'm running full sized all around, and I just slide my easy chair into the center of the room to listen.

What is a problem is that now I have both DVD-A and SACD players and my receiver only has one set of 'analog in' inputs. For now, 3 A/B switches fill the bill but I can't help but think that I could be inducing 'signal pollution' of some sort using these Rat Shack switches. Anyone have a better solution?

I got the Sony entry level unit, the 755. Video quality is not up to par with my Denon which I find interesting as the Sony has the 128 video dacs and the Denon has the 54. Sony is not as clear, looks 'grainy' in comparison. But all in all, a nice little unit.

Do you even need a switch box? Is there compelling reason(s) why I should not just plug 2 inputs into each 'analog in'? I'll ask the question in the Technical forum.

The Wall would be nice of course. Kind of get the surround 'feel' with the 5.1 DVD. I personally would like to hear 'Wish You Were Here' as well as 'Animals'!!!