Cooking

cluless

Hehehe

The recipe is as I originally found it in Southern Living, any changes are in the notes that follow.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

ALMOND ROCA (toffee)

2 C Butter Land O Lakes works best.

2 C Sugar

2 C Finely chopped almonds toasted (BJs or Sams has large bags of sliced almonds) Also, see notes

1 lb Milk Chocolate

Stir constantly throughout.

Melt butter in dutch oven add sugar and cook until mixture reaches a boil. Reduce heat and boil 5 minutes. Add 1 Cup almonds and cook until mixture reaches 300°. Remove from heat, pour onto 2 buttered aluminum foil covered cookie sheets. Spread to 1/4 inch thickness. Cool. Melt 1/2 of the chocolate spread over top of candy top with 1/2 of the nuts, press nuts into chocolate. Let chocolate set then flip candy over and repeat with the other side.

Notes/Modifications:

· I use 1 (scant) cup chopped (food processor) almonds inside the candy, then use slightly crushed sliced almonds for the topping (just break up sliced almonds with my hands when adding to candy). I generally use a lot more than one cup of almonds for coating.

· Since Hersheys changed the size of its large milk chocolate bar from 8 oz. To 7 oz. I use 3 bars or less.

· Sometimes the candy mixture starts to separate just before reaching 300°. The only effect (other than inducing panic in the cook) is the volume of candy is reduced. I have no idea what causes this, possible culprits are high humidity, high water content in the ingredients, improper alignment of the stars, unhappy candy gods. My latest theory is that melting the butter and sugar together seems to reduce the risk.

· Spreading the hot candy is difficult as it wants to stick to the spreading implement. A high temperature rubber spatula or a metal rolling pin seems to work best. The thinner the better, but too thin and it breaks apart to easily making frosting the candy difficult.

· Instead of melting 1/2 of the chocolate at a time, I only do 1/4 (one side of one cookie sheet worth). This way I dont have to work as fast to keep the chocolate from setting up. I give the candy a good rubdown with paper towels before putting chocolate on to get rid of excess butter.

Hmmm. Tastes like chicken:

Almond Crusted Chicken

Serves 4

3/4 cup dry bread crumbs

Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

1 1/2 cups sliced almonds, broken into pieces

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons water

2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 tablespoons canola oil

1. Preheat oven to 400º. Place bread crumbs in a medium bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Place almonds in a separate bowl, and set aside. Place eggs in a small bowl with 2 teaspoons water, and beat lightly. Dip chicken in egg mixture, wiping away excess with your fingers, and dip in bread-crumb mixture. Dredge until lightly coated. Dip in egg again, and then coat thoroughly with almonds.

2. Heat butter and oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Sauté chicken until nicely browned, about 3 minutes, and turn over. Cook 1 minute more; then transfer pan to oven, and bake until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes

And yes, Clu makes delicious candy. Not sure what Less makes, besides trouble!

Are you kidding? All the single guys I know (myself included) hate cooking! I love to eat, and if I was loaded, I'd eat out every night. But because I'm not, I end up heating a frozen pizza or nuking a TV dinner...although I can cook up a mean jambalaya (hot + spicey = radioactive!) 11.gif

----------------

On 4/18/2003 6:28:39 AM jt1stcav wrote:

I love to eat, and if I was loaded, I'd eat out every night.

----------------

I know a lot of single guys who dream about eating out every night...

3.gif fini

JT1, very true, I still have 2 pieces in the box for breakfast from last night. I hate to cook, but whipping up a stir fry in a couple of minutes, and if you have a rice cooker, the battle is done. Some nice beef\chicken, a few veggies, maybe some egg noodles, a few huge tiger prawns, add some great spices and a touch of Cluless tabasco recommendation ....OH YEAH 3.gif

I hate where I live, within 5 blocks:

Dairy Queen, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Burger King, Rotten Ronnies (MacDonalds), Quiznos, Subway, Mr.Sub, A&W(Walter hangs out at the local Sherlock Holmes pub),Dominos,Pizza Hut, Harvey's, Swiss Chalet, Boston Pizza, and the "World Famous" 7-11 "HOAGIE", man, the more I think about it, I live in a single guys paradise zone 1.gif

Cluless...YOU DA MAN 9.gif

By chance where did you find my furry faced friend? I thank you immensely. Actually, from suffering with a bad hangover after watching Dallas kick our *** last night, that made me laugh , *cheers* 9.gif

Now it's time for breakfast, had my 2 cups of java, time for a cold beer with cold pizza, great combo, I'm out of choclate milk...UGH 2.gif

Ive given up eating out for always cooking in because I keep dreaming of going out while getting loaded up while Im in. Heres another reason. Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt very fuzzy..was he? Hey, could you pass that sauce that I use strictly for medicinal cooking purposes for getting burnt. Thanks buddy. Or is it buddies. Im seeing triplets. Look at me. How many cooking utensils am I holding up? Lets get the easter egg beater hunt started. I like my chocolate bunnies scrambled . Im never giving up giving in since I found out I dont know Wok Im talking about anymore. He he he he he .Everybody sing ! 99 beered up bunnies on the wall, 99 beered up bunnies.

Boomer-

I'M THE WO-MAN! Didn't you see the pink bows and tutu on my current avatar? LOL?

Santa can be found HERE he's santa.gif, but I bet you coulda figured that one out.

Hey BBB - Did you get ahold of some of those liqueur filled chocolate bunnies? Those were MINE! They're really good if you throw them in the blender with some ice and milk. Whooosssh! Buzzy Bunny Slushy! YUMMMY!