ATTN Webmaster... A few questions from Kain.

m00n

WEBMASTER....

Another question from Kain directly taken from his email and posted (agian, I am only the messenger boy, I am neutral here 1.gif):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kain wrote

My question is why do people like forresthump (who disobey the rules all the time and flame/insult people directly) get like 2-3 warnings before they are banned? Where as I who called someone "really stupid" get banned right away with no warnings?

Can you please ask him to give me a second chance?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet questioning the webmasters decision will get him unbanned!

Seriously, if Kain has questions for the webmaster, keep it on a private level. No reason to start a public discussion of what everyone feels should happen to him, it's only going to cause more problems.

-mkl

----------------

On 4/18/2003 9:30:31 PM garymd wrote:

How about the cup in our nation's capital?????LOL

----------------

Not unless the friggan Caps pull thier act together! (or the officials don't call "high-sticking" when no high-sticking even occured). They just got beat 2 goals to 1 just in the last game.

----------------

On 4/18/2003 1:49:19 AM Webmaster wrote:

Before this thread gets out of hand, here is why I banned him...

It ultimately came down to his thread about X-Men 2 opening in the UAE before here. I believe it wasn't his intention to start trouble and that the forum members who responded took his post the wrong way. This time, at least, their complaints were civil for the most part and without insult but Kain's response to them was not. He thought it was funny and said they could be "really stupid sometimes", which I thought crossed the line. I asked him to edit that line out and suggested that a proper response to this kind of situation would be something like "sorry you feel that way, but that's not how I meant it" or something along those lines. It's not a real apology or anything, just a more mature clarification of the issue. His response to that was the final straw for me. He still thought it was funny, said he shouldn't have to apologize and that he was going to post that thread on a bunch of other forums to show how stupid this was. That's when I had enough, so I deleted the thread, banned him and shut this section of the forum down for one day.

As far as a warning goes, I think my request to him was enough, but besides that, I consider the statement I made in a different post listing the reasons why members might be banned (insulting other members, posting inappropriate images, etc.) the final warning for everyone that posts regularly in this section of the forums.

There are many other forums out there that will people for much less. I don't want this forum to get anywhere near that, but at the same time, I tired of all of the crap going on here and I'm not going to let as much slide as I have in the pass. It has gotten to the point where I dread even coming here, expecting to find another huge argument going on. I really don't like that it has come to this.

----------------

On a more serious note...

Dear Webmaster,

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, I simply want to point out that your reasons for banning Kain just simply don't add up in my opinion. You clearly stated that you did'nt think his last thread was meant to cause trouble, yet because he chose not to edit out anything and because he was going to post it in other forums (which I can agree, would not be necessary) you decided to ban him. Again, IMO Kain had no reason to edit anything he said out... his thread to begin was about a movie and that's it. It's not his fault that it was turned into something else by other members. It was clearly evident that he had no intention of causing trouble and the fact that he found the whole thing so funny is evidence of that. You could have simply deleted the thread and sent Kain an email or something to that effect why you did it and could have left it at that rather than just ban him and shut down the GQ forum for a day. I found that totally unnecessary. But again all this is just my opinion and I felt the need to state it. I can see how you would become tired of seeing the same kind of posts time and again about the war, about being Anti-American, etc, etc, etc... so what happens in the forum is ulitmately up to you as far as who is banned and who is not, etc.. but I would ask that you not ban Kain for what had happened because it was not his fault in the first place.

"...Can you please ask him to give me a second chance?"

That sounds pretty close to an apology to me.

I don't know what's worse -- banning someone or having a forum 'blackout'. I have to admit, if I was the Webmaster, and had the double duty of moderating -- it would be very difficult to decide what to do sometimes.

I like the 'three strikes and you're out' rule -- just my opinion though.

Now, it's true that if the Webmaster or moderator makes a very specific request of you -- and you fail to comply -- then banishment is well deserved.

A bit of a twist on this particular circumstance.

Hey, how about temporary banishments -- kind of like a short jail sentence.

A 15 day loss of forum privilage, then 30, then outta here.

This is a private American website, not the UN. Even if the Webmaster showed bias against a foreigner who chose this forum to rejoice about the cowardly terrorist attacks against our country, it is totally moral, admirable and patriotic.

Bravo to the Webmaster on a job well done!

Not to change the subject, but, SJ993, yes it would be tragic if the Caps, leading the series 2-0 ended up losers. I have the company suite for the game tomorrow. Got lucky because I'm the only Jewish hockey fan at work! Go Caps!!!

----------------

On 4/19/2003 6:22:08 PM garymd wrote:

Not to change the subject, but, SJ993, yes it would be tragic if the Caps, leading the series 2-0 ended up losers. I have the company suite for the game tomorrow. Got lucky because I'm the only Jewish hockey fan at work! Go Caps!!!

----------------

Awesome.. you must have great seats then! Well their down 3-2 now to TB.. so tommorow night will tell the tale.

The fact that Kain is asking for a 2nd chance dictates that he is sorry and furthermore I hardly think the webmaster was being bias to Kain because he is a foreigner... many of us here are and that had nothing to do with it.