next year's class schedule... I am gonna fail

tpg

Ok, maybe I won't fail, but darn it is going to be hard. My schedule is as follows:

AP Calculus

Cisco

AP Government

AP English

A+

Band

Ok, A+ and Cisco are supposed to be 2 hours each, however, I am going to be 'allowed' to take only one hour of each. Thus, I will miss an hour of lecture per class each day. I shall be pulling my hair out by the end of the year. Calc should give me a run for my money too... Pre-Cal is VERY easy to me, but I highly doubt calc will be as simple. Our AP English teacher is very difficult as well... Band will be my easiest class, and during marching season, I won't be getting home until 5, so then two hours of studying computer stuff, and I will be allowed to have no life. As if I have one anyway... What do you all think? Will I fail?

I play trumpet in band.

Also, foodshouldbefree-- I am in AP Chem right now... it isn't easy. I have a lab report due Mon. and to be honest, I really don't even know where to begin... This years schedule was Precal, AP Chem, AP American history, AP literatre+composition, Business Tech (basically a wasted credit...) and band. It really isn't that bad... I am just afraid I will find trouble missing those lectures on A+/Cisco... I hear Cisco is pretty difficult.

Cisco is difficult, but it's just a matter of paying attention to the lectures and understanding the material and you will be fine. TPG you certainly seem like a smart guy and as such I really don't think you'll have any problems in school with the classes your taking. You may find them hard but I'm pretty confident you will pull through.

Ah yes, how I remember my Senior year in high school.

I had

Trig

Calc

Comp Sci II (writing programs in FORTRAN on TRaSh-80s - This was in 1987-88!)

Chem II (first half of year - Organic Chemistry, second half - Qualitive Analysis - that class was a ***** - had an awesome teacher, though! )

Physics (with Lab - heck we even got into some basic nuclear physics)

Phys Ed (Gym)

English/Literature (even had to write a "senior paper")

And Economics (can't remember if that was my junior or senior year).

My high school really didn't have 'AP' classes so to speak but, from what I have heard, those classes at my high school were as, if not more, difficult than most of the 'AP' classes in other high schools.

Add to that, the track practice for spring and ski team in the winter, as well as being on the science team (compete in the Science Olmypics)

Also was an "a/v geek", in that I got to setup and operate the sound and light show at any of the concerts that were held at the school auditorum. On top of all that trying to hold down a part-time job slinging porcelain at the local Chinese restaurant (funny how I hadn't gone out for Chinese since than - rather go for Mexican now-a-days 1.gif).

After all that, I still manage to graduate with Honors from high school (even manage to pull straight-A's in a couple grading periods)

In another words, if I can do it, TPG, you certainly should have no trouble handling it. Of course, it gets even more fun when you get to college 6.gif

----------------

On 4/19/2003 2:08:37 PM Diggs wrote:

It's only high school. Wait until college. That'll be an eye opener!
----------------

My brother and best friend are at university - they have it much easier than I did in 10th and 11th grade. So, I am ready.

----------------

On 4/19/2003 4:02:37 PM kenratboy wrote:
My brother and best friend are at university - they have it much easier than I did in 10th and 11th grade. So, I am ready.

----------------

What University and what majors? I never had ANY high school curriculum come close to the difficulty of any of my college courses.

----------------

On 4/19/2003 5:12:22 PM foodshouldbefree wrote:

i have two bros studying engineering right now...so...i can already see what im going to have to go through next year. (yay.not.) they stay up until 2 sometimes for hw and studying.

----------------

I hear that. Both of my brothers and most of my roommates through college were engineering majors. A lot of work involved. I stuck with biology and chemistry. Not much easier as it turned out, but I survived.

Eh, the nice thing about the difficulty of engineering classes in college is that after a while you get so used to everything being insanely difficult and taking so long to complete that "normal" classes feel really easy. I must admit, when I saw schedule and fail in the subject line, I was really expecting a collegiate schedule, but then I've been out of high school for long enough now that it all seems really easy in comparison.

As for the college being easier than high school stuff, I suppose that may be true if you choose to take easy courses through your university years or choose a school that is really out of line with the majority. I find that college courses are more difficult than anything in high school, but they tend to be difficult in different ways. College courses, at least in my experience, are more about teaching you how to think than they are factual information. Regardless, any university should expect a higher standard than a high school; that's just normal progression. As we get more used to the way school works, we should be able to learn more on our own without having a teacher force-feed it, so courses naturally move much faster and cover more information in a given time.

You have my sympathy.

If you send me your postal address, I will go over to Borders and buy you the only good book about calculus ever written, and mail it off. No charge to you. It is "Quick Calculus II.'" It is a programmed text by a prof from MIT and another from Harvard, as I recall.

A major problem with calculus is that pre calculus is not well explained. This little gem does it. Yup, high power profs decided to make it clear.

I get really annoyed that math seems to be taught by 1) high school teachers which are not up to knowing where it is going, and 2) high power Ph.D.s which are such Einsteins that we can't understand what they're talking about. We're just lost in the middle.

Seriously, I'll buy you this book. Crank though it. Do one chapter a day; it may take an hour. Maybe you can do this over the summer.

As far as "band"; uggh, you're on your own.

Gil

Oh let me ramble for a while.

Calculus - if you become an engineer you will study it like you would not believe then never use it. I used 9th grade algebra at work the other day (solving for x with 2 variables). That is how hard it gets as an engineer. I do use trig a lot. I know one engineer that used calculaus once in his career. (he had to find the volume of a non-uniform shape; that whole defining a function then rotate it about an axis)

Here is something for you - if you go to engineering school will you be satisfied with an engineering career? You will work very hard for a degree that is as hard as medical or law, but for much less money.

To put it in perspective, I worked all morning at my engineering job and right this very moment I am sitting in a Conn Law 2 class at law school. Ie I am speaking from experience (taking the bar in July). I met several attorneys and realized that most engineers that I know are much smarter, but making much less money and not getting the joy that they thought that they woulld get from their jobs. Engineering is a messy web of red tape and hoops that you need to "design through" that are just a joke.

After engineering school, law school is not too bad, more stressful but the material is easier.

I would reccomend Dental School. great career if you like to work with your hands and a great schedule.

I know that this sounds bad and I will get a bunch of replies about how money is not the only thing, but I have been practicing and lived the life. After a certain level you do not design, you just deal with unrealistic clients. not much different than law.

Just some food for thought...and oh yea, keep studying!!

Chris