Selling 1968 Cornwall (Vertical horns) and 1979 Heresy spkrs

triceratops

Not that anyone has been keeping score, but I am about to sell my third and last pair of Cornwalls. These are all original 1968 matched pair with vertical horns. They are Walnut cabinets with optional risers. Alnico mids and tweeters and cane grilles with Pieslice logo. A few dings and scratches but overall in excellent shape. I am the second owner. Looking for about $1000. I don't want to get involved in boxing them (been there, done that) so would prefer local sale in Oregon, etc.

Also have a nice pair of 1979 Heresys in Birch Raw all original (and still unfinishes) with Alnico mids and tweeters (ceramic tweeters started at the end of 1979). Looking for about $450. I don't want to pack them...

I can take photos this weekend if there is interest...

If I sell these, I'll still have my '77 Belles and '85 kg-4s to keep me entertained.

Best in horns,

Triceratops

T-

God it would be nice to buy from a b/b member. But since your not into shipping, which I fully understand; I wish you good luck! I just got into Heresy's and now the Bug has bitten me! To of course move up to CW's.......... Bill (IN)

m00n the Heresy's are calling you, can you hear them, you are in Oregon aren't you. Your Belle's are seeking companions and the Heresy's are beckoning your call. I would love to have a pair of vertical Corn's but I am across the continent from you. Maybe DVois will sell me his '62 verticals when he gets his Khorns in place since they were made the year I was born.

It's not that I absolutely won't pack them for shipping, but I'd like to avoid it. On the second pair that I sold, the buyer and I agreed to have them professionally packed for shipment to the East Coast. I took the speakers to a local moving company who had assured me they had packed valuable antiques for shipment all over the country. The manager assured me that he would personally handle the job. I was very specific about double boxing the cabinets with 2" of styrofoam or similar insulation between. I came back to inspect the work a day later, only to find the speakers had been boxed by an unskilled part time worker, using a single thin layer of bubble-wrap and a patchwork of small boxes. Honestly, they wouldn't have made it across town, let alone across the country! The moving company told me that the packing was complete and they stopped working after one layer of boxing because the labor bill was already over the estimate they had given me.

Needless to say, I about blew a fuse. I took the boxes home and built an outer box around each package using appliance cardboard, high strength architectural styrofoam, protective corner rails from appliance packaging, and about 20 miles of shipping tape. It took hours just to round up the materials and many additional hours putting it all together, with a fairly significant amount of disruption to our living room. The results were excellent and the speakers made the trip fine. I paid for the additional materials myself--not that the buyer didn't offer to help out, but I didn't think it would be right for him to pay for my mistake.

I'm trying to avoid getting myself in the same situation again. However if a Forum member in another state has a plan to have the speakers boxed, I'm happy to transport them to a major city like Portland, etc. to have the job done. I think m00n has his hands full with the Belles right now, but I'm sure there are some other Klipschers in the neighborhood. If I have to box the speakers to travel I will. I'd rather do it myself than use amateur packers who call themselves professionals.

Best in horns,

Triceratops

The 1968 Cornwalls are spoken for, and they are going to a Forum member. I am shipping them, thanks to the generosity of DeanG who is loaning Ken's amazing sheet metal Cornwall shipping container to protect the '68s.

I am once again reminded of what a great bunch of folks inhabit this forum!

eq_shadimar, if you are interested in the Heresys, I'll get some photos to you. If you like what you see I'm willing to work out the shipping details with you. If you decide you want them, you're first in line.

Can anyone help me post some pix of the Heresys on this thread? Justin? I tried but couldn't make it work...

Best in horns,

triceratops

The Heresys are now sold! They are going to Forum member eq_shadimar. Thanks to the Forum for finding good homes for both the '68 Cornwalls and the '79 Heresys! Hopefully we'll get an update after the speakers are relocated and making music again!

Best in horns,

Triceratops

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 4/23/2003 10:27:45 AM triceratops wrote:

The Heresys are now sold! They are going to Forum member eq_shadimar. Thanks to the Forum for finding good homes for both the '68 Cornwalls and the '79 Heresys! Hopefully we'll get an update after the speakers are relocated and making music again!

Best in horns,

Triceratops
----------------

Yuppers the Heresy's have arrived!!! The packing job was beyond awesome!! The entire transaction went very very smoothly. I wish I had my digital camera with me when I unpacked them. I have saved all the material in case I ever need to ship a pair. It was a very professional job. I had them shipped some where other than my house and I had to unpack them to get them in my car.

Anyway I have hooked them up and they sound awesome. I will now be able to complete my 7.1 system. Humm maybe I will use them for two channel in my bedroom. Just thought of that. This may be a tough choice......

Laters,

Triceratops:

About 1.5 years ago, some relatives shipped me (I live in Bethesda, MD) an ungainly living room chair via The Letter Box in Portland, Ore., e-mail www.pdxshipper.com. It was well-packed with lots of styrofoam peanuts, and apparently air-shipped as it arrived at my door in only a few days. $262 was the tab.

Larry - We're pracically neighbors. Actually, depending on where in Bethesda you live, I may be able to see your house from my office window. I work in the new CCB building on the corner of East-West and Wisconsin (where the old Hot Shops used to be). Nice to know there are some local klipsch fans around.

I'm really happy the Heresy speakers made it to Texas to eq_shadimar in fine shape. He was a real pleasure to deal with and it's always nice when someone appreciates my compulsive packing!

Soon I'll be getting those Vert '68's to dndphishin in deang's super Cornwall box--it should arrive any day now. dndphishin and deang were kind enough to make those arrangements so I wouldn't have a nervous breakdown over boxing the Cornwalls. The last pair almost put me in the hospital! But eventually these speakers will all be redistributed and we can all kick back and enjoy some more sonic bliss.

larryclare--thanks for the shipping suggestion--it may yet come on handy!

best in horns,

triceratops