La Scala Prices.

----------------

On 5/2/2003 5:36:53 PM Craig6519 wrote:

How much would a new set of LaScala's cost me today? The only store near me that sells Klipsch is Circuit City, and I don't want to deal with them at all.

Craig

----------------

Circuit City does not carry the Heritage line. At least not in California.

DND is right. Ebay is a good place to look, & if you are patient, a pair will pop up local, saving the shipping $$$

A bunch pop up in Texas which should no tbe to far of a drive for you provided they are in the Northern tier. My brother in law is near Tulsa and just bought a pair of Khorns from a guy in Dallas that I found for him on Audioweb. They are 1990's and he got them for $2K. There is some in San Antonio and Houston right now that I know of. Should not take you long to find a pair near you. You will love the Heritage speakers!

No, the Khorns were up for sale from another individual, not Put Seumson there is currently a pair of La Scala's around San Antonio for sale on eBay. He had them originally for $2.5K and then lowered it to $2K so he bought them.

I have a pair of La Scalas sitting in the formal living room. My wife is ticked that they have been sitting there for about 2 years since I got Belles because she thought the La Scalas were too ugly.

Anyway, what would be an appropriate price for a pair that are in pretty good shape? I got them in 1980 while still in college.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm in the Philly area.

Thanks,

Mike

Have a look at ebay and audiogon, to see what similar La Scala's are going for, Most people put pic's so you can see what condition yours are in and maybe get an idea of what yours are worth on the open market. Sure wish I lived near you I'd like to have a look.

Craig

----------------

On 5/2/2003 5:36:53 PM Craig6519 wrote:

How much would a new set of LaScala's cost me today? Craig

----------------

If you look around you can find a used pair in good condition. I just bought a 1979 pair of La Scalas that are in very good condition. I'm having to replace the woofers and the diaphragms in the tweeters but that's it. Total cost is $1243 for my La Scalas. Plus I have a vintage set with metal horns not plastic.

Best wishes on your search,

Tony

Kev313. Put Seunsom has excellent

feedback on Audiogon-54 positive/ no negative. And on Audioweb-33 positive/1 negative-the negative feedback was not from me. I met Put about 3 years ago. He is very knowledgeable about stereo equipment. But my experience with

him was not so hot. His family has a Chinese restaurant located on FM 1960 West in Houston(Northwest part of Houston), he is a manager. He & a partner buy & sell stereo equipment. They have space in a warehouse several miles from the restaurant where they store their speakers. Put lives in a neighbor-

hood over by the Astrodome, which my brother says is kind of a rough area of Houston. My brother lives in Katy, a suburb 20 miles west of Houston proper. Put & his partner place ads in the Houston, Dallas & and San Antonio papers requesting to buy certain brands of stereo equipment-Klipsch speakers being one of them. Three years ago I was interested in two pair of speakers that Put had advertised on Audioweb- a pair of walnut Klipsch Cornwalls & a pair of walnut JBL 250 TI speakers. The ad had expired several months previous to me contacting him. I emailed Put asking if the speakers

were still available and what condition were they in. Put's reply was that both pair of speakers were in excellent condition. I live in Corpus Christi, 4 hours south of Houston. I made arrangements to meet Put at his restaurant on a Friday afternoon to go listen to & inspect the speakers. Put told me he would have some equipment on hand so I could listen to the speakers. I met Put at his restaurant. We took my car to drive to the warehouse. On the way

to my car, Put stopped at his truck and pulled out a cheap boombox radio/cassette player. He mentioned he forgot to bring any speaker wire. We got to the warehouse and the speakers were not easily accessible They were on pallets, tightly squeezed together. There was not much room to manuever and inspect the speakers. The walnut Cornwalls were not in excellent condition, I would have rated them a 5 on a 1-10 scale. One of the top front

corners was dinged very bad-looked

like some one had hit it with a sledge hammer. I went ahead and listened to the Cornwalls. Put robbed 1 piece of speakerwire from the back of a LaScalla to hook up 1 channel of his boombox. I declined on the Cornwalls, they had been rode hard & put up wet cosmetic wise. I wanted to listen to the JBL 250 TI speakers-

mulitiway tower 14 inch woofer/8

inch midbass/5 inch midrange/1 inch titanium tweeter. The JBL speakers were wrapped up in a massive amount of plastic bubble wrap & packing tape. Put did not have a knife or scissors to unwrap

the JBL's. Being a blue collar guy, I always carry a small Buck knife in my pocket. I cut the tape and removed the bubble wrap. The walnut JBL 250 TI were a 7.5 out a 10 scale cosmetic wise, had some

dings & scratches but nothing major like the ragged out Cornwalls. The JBL's are a 52 inch tower-the left side of the speaker is vertically straight. The right

side slopes down at an angle-14- 1/4 inches wide at the top sloping down at an angle to 22-1/2 inches wide at the bottom, the speakers weigh 126 pounds each. Retailed back in 1991 at $2499 for each speaker. They are a good looking speaker. I had to move each speaker off the pallet to listen to one speaker at a time with his frickin' cheap *** boombox to check to make sure all the drivers were working. I liked the JBL's, but they had loose binding posts and a sloppy refoam job on the 14 inch woofers. Put was asking $1600

for the JBL's and refused to negotiate. I had $1600 cash on me but I did not think the speakers were worth his asking price. I politely told Put he could keep his speakers, I would find something else. He said fine. He asked me to drive by a Sam's Warehouse on the way back to his restaurant so he could pay a bill. No problem, I took him to Sam's. Back at his Restaurant we b.s.ed

about stereo equipment. When I was getting ready to leave, Put asked

me how much I was willing to spend on the JBL speakers. I told Put $1200 cash and I pulled out my wallet. He agreed to my offer & I paid him. We drove back to the warehouse to load up the speakers in my 1983 El Dorado. We put one speaker in the trunk. We attempted

to fit the other speaker in the back seat. It was too big and would not fit. I had a trailer hitch on the Caddy, but no ball and did not have a hookup for signal lights. Uhaul was closed by this time. So it was too late to go there, rent a trailer/get hooked up for signal lights and get a trailer ball. My brother was out of town so I did not have the opportunity to spend the night with him. Put and I agreed to me coming back Monday afternoon to pick up the JBL speakers. He gave me my $1200 back. I asked him if he wanted a deposit to hold the speakers. He said no. I drove home

Friday night and was going to have Uhaul install a signal light kit Saturday. I had a ball for the trailer hitch at my house. I woke up early Saturday morning and was perusing various audio websites while drinking my morning coffee before I was going to head out to Uhaul. Well Put had listed both the Cornwalls & JBL 250 TI's for sale on 2 different websites-

Audioweb and another one. This pissed me off severely since we had a verbal agreement on the JBL's. He knew I was serious as he had $1200 cash in his pocket Friday night for his speakers. I offered him a deposit to hold the speakers & he declined. I decided right then he could keep his frickin' JBL's. I never went back

to Houston. Put had stated in our phone conversation that he would have some stero equipment on hand to listen to the speakers. The boombox in my opinion is not proper equipment to audition speakers with. I am a very easy going laidback person. I did not complain about his frickin' boombox. I was not a happy camper

having driven 4 hours one way to listen to his speakers with a cheap boombox. I thought it was very unprofessional of him not to have the stereo equipment on hand like he had stated he would. Perhaps my experience with Put was

an abnormal occurence. Caveat emptor-let the buyer beware.

Regards, Mike

If you folks are interested, I also took pics of the sides and the backs of each speaker. If you want, just email me and I can send them.

They have a few scratches, dents, places where the veneer is broken, etc., but overall, they're in decent condition. But most important, they sound great. I have even thought of adding new elements to the horns and putting new woofers in and they'd be like new.

Mike