I pity the fool with no Subwoofer!

Man, yesterday I was messin around with skippin my preamp and going strait from source to power amp. Anyway, that means no sub15.gif. I hooked it up and listened to a variety of music.

I dont know how I lived without one. It adds so much to everything.

If you don't have one, get one!

Me too!

Many people point to a music chart like the one at Enjoy the Music.com (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/judging/) as evidence that a majority of the music is captured within a relatively narrow spectrum. Indeed, when you look at the piano scale and the instrument chart, you see that most of the music IS in the mid-range.

That is one reason why cross-over-less, single driver loudspeakers, like the Omega TS1s (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1002/omegats1.htm), can sound so good for so little money. Same with horns. Like far more expensive speaker designs, they exhibit a quick, easy-to-drive, smooth tonal balance and neutrality through-out much of the musical spectrum. But so do the little white Bose Jewel curves, with an entirely different design approach and goals. They too capture a wide slice of the musical spectrum.

So notice what Steve, the Enjoy the Music.com publisher, says about the instruments: none of them have pure tones. The second, third and other waveform harmonic bounces of the initial 40Hz tone of a Bass Tuba, for example, extend all the way up and down - the audible spectrum. The harmonics of low notes descend lower than the initial tone: the harmonics of high notes extend higher than the initial tone. If you dont have extended, flat and accurate frequency response throughout the audible spectrum at normal listening levels, you are missing out on the harmonics of the instrument. Not just some instruments either. In fact, studies show that we sometimes sense frequencies as low as 5Hz!

Look at that instrument chart again. The human voice extends surprisingly low, the piano itself extends even further. If you dont have something like an actively powered subwoofer to push those low harmonics up to where you can hear them, you are missing out. Not just on the lowest of the lows, but on the mid-range as well. We may not all listen to Barry White, especially since Ally Mcbeal is off the air, but when we do, we need a loudspeaker system which extends its flat and accurate musical response all the down to 30 and better yet, 20Hz.

2.gif

Well Homer... I mean Stephen

A Scottie and a 3 way 15 incher ain't quakin' in their boots in regard to your assessment.

I got a sub in the HT rig. Been there for U571 torpedoes...reletively neat.

And yesterdays performance of "Young Man Blues " from the WHO on the TT on the 2 channel rig; Keith Moon and Mr. Entwistle ain't missin' the sub.

Mr. Mozart never lost any sleep about it, and he sleeps allot these days.

Audio Flynn

OUT

Since I sold my tube preamp, I haven't been able to use my 15" home-made subwoofer with my Cornwalls. Even though the Klipsch do extend down to 38Hz, it's still not low enough to experience the full impact of a well-recorded pipe organ, especially one with 32' pedal pipes whose fundamentals can drop to well below 16 cycles per second. With my sturdy 3/4" 3 cubic foot sealed subwoofer enclosure, powered by a 200 WPC SAE A205 power amp, my sub has fast trasients that is more than capable of keeping up with my Cornwalls, whether it's classical, jazz, or rock. I like not using a preamplifier, but without one, I cannot use my sub. My finances right now will not allow me to purchase any preamp anytime soon, so I must go subless for now.

What I found out when I introduced a subwoofer to my setup was what Colin basically outlined: there are resonant frequencies (harmonics, if you prefer) inherent to any sound, much of it due to the environment in which the music was recorded; all of which give the listener the sense of hearing the music live. Playing selections without my sub kicked in removes a great deal of the "life" of the music, a life to which I have grown accustomed.

And no, Mozart did not need a subwoofer, because he experienced music as it was intended to be heard: live. Which is, as far as I know, most of the purpose of audiophilia, and the best reason I can give for the money I have tied up in this...

Indeed, while the Klipsch KSW-12 is now the best sub in my lineup, it is by no means the best sub I've ever heard. We used to carry the JBL SCS 12" front fire sub at Best Buy - 400 watts of pure thunder, straight down to 22Hz with absolutely no dB variance. The bassheads complained about it - because they couldn't hear it - I invited them (in this massive warehouse of a building) to kneel down. They stopped complaining when it started hitting them in the chest!

With a Heritage system in 5.0, I bet you could find several reasons why you "don't" need a sub IMO. Any other system of course, but I wanted a sub that would go "lower" than my Heritage, I found that, am I happy, damn right 2.gif

Now if Klipsch would come out with a "proper" Heritage Subwoofer and add a Heritage Centre channel to boot, now we're talkin "serious" HT 2.gif

I pitty any Kraft dinner eaters with less then 12 subs.

9.gif

I PITTY YOU ALL

And I pitty anyone who does not own a Krell FPB,600W RMS per channel of full Krell power delivered with grace and style via Monster Cable Sigma. 3.gif Pitty any amp that cannot double its output down to 2 Ohms.

FORGIVE ME GOD 5.gif

Ear,

Is there some kind of over the counter medication that comes with the KRELL?

------------------------------------------

I listen to DVD-A with a 12 inch sealed 300 watt into 4 ohm front firing sub. it is cool but...

not as musical as the Grado Signature 8 on the Michel on some nice vinyl.

foodshouldcostya,

Yes I asked GOD to forgive me,I am about to add more subs!

AudioFlynn,

Yes it came with a special booklet with a thank you note 1.gif I found no medication in the amp,just plenty of capacitors and two huge toroidal transformers.I open all I buy you know(dont tell or my warranty is voided!)

NOZ,

Yes I am an audio freak,I agree.A self proclaimed audiophile,who could probably not tell apart $5000 speaker cables from 15cents/ft lampcord! LOL

Even if its placebo at its best I still like it 9.gif