Did I get hosed?

I purchased a pair of 1979 La Scalas for $800. After bringing them home I found that 1 woofer was blown and 1 tweeter was not working. I removed the woofers to find that one appears to be a Klipsch (can't be sure though) and one is not a Klipsch. They both have square magnets but one has rounded corners on its' magnet and the other is sharpley squared. They do not appear to be matched.

So ... I ordered 2 matched woofers that I was told were the replacement for the La Scala woofers as determined by the Klipsch engineers. A "K33" I believe is the replacement woofers that are on their way to me now. I wanted matching (good sounding and working) woofers so this wasn't a problem. UNLESS THERE IS A BETTER ALTERNATIVE TO THIS "K33" WOOFER THAT YOU ALL MAY KNOW ABOUT but that I currently do not. These woofers cost me $137 a piece. Or there abouts.

Now here's the problem: I just received an e-mail from Simply Speakers (had been in communication with them regarding reconning) and they reiterated the reconning charges BUT ALSO TOLD ME THAT REPLACING THE DIAPHRAGMS IN MY TWEETERS WOULD BE $34 INSTALLED PER TWEETER.

Along with the woofers I ordered from Klipsch I ordered 2 tweeter diaphragms for the K77s at $87 dollars EACH!!!

Is there something very special about the Klipsch diaphragms that are lacking in those that Simply Speakers would have installed for less than half what I paid for the diaphragms alone from Klipsch??? Are the Klipsch diaphragms gold plated? Will they do my laundry when it needs to be done? Cook dinner for me? What? Why the apparent outrageously high price for the Klipsch diaphragms?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

The difference between the two tweeters?

About $50 each, and you still have to install the part yourself when you buy it from Klipsch.

Any Eminence 15" frame with a 2" coil and 56 oz magnet may be re-coned to perform the same as a K33E. It doesn't matter if the magnet is round or square. The correct cone kit is #15162 and most shops will do it for about $60.

----------------

On 5/7/2003 2:23:53 AM djk wrote:

The difference between the two tweeters?

About $50 each, and you still have to install the part yourself when you buy it from Klipsch.

----------------

Looks like the diaphragms are going back to Klipsch unopened when they arrive and the tweeters are going to Simply Speakers.

----------------

Any Eminence 15"; frame with a 2"; coil and 56 oz magnet may be re-coned to perform the same as a K33E. It doesn't matter if the magnet is round or square. The correct cone kit is #15162 and most shops will do it for about $60.

----------------

In this case I'll hang on to the new K33s and put them in myself. Putting these in is a no brainer. Guess I feel better (not that feeling has anything to do with it) about having new woofers since the one's that came out of the La Scalas aren't matched anyway.

Thanks for your post and the info djk. Appears you've saved me $100.

Tony

Are you sure that 87.00 is for tweeter kits or whole tweeters?Also it could be the price for two tweeter kits which is still kinda high.Well maybe when you get the package you will know more...i cant imagine them charging that much for diaphrams...Also the k-33 is the correct woofer and NO there are not any better ones to use,alot of people have tried, but i dont think you should mess with perfection,,,lol,,Rick

Tony,

I can't offer too much info on how good or not your price quotes are, but do know of a good contact to help you out. BEC who posts on this board sells these diaphragms and will also do repairs if preferred. You might want to message or e-mail him. I've done business with him a couple of times and have been pleased. Good guy.

Dee

K-77/K-77-M/K-77-F bare diaphragms cost about $25 each and must be soldered into a "carrier". Klipsch sells the diaphragm already mounted in the carrier, so it is easily field replaced. You don't do any soldering or centering (although the job is not that bad). You paid extra for convenience and more new parts. Is that so bad? I have seen the "kit" for sale for $60 each, I think, but I don't know if it is as complete as the one you got from Klipsch.

The prices have come up a little recently, but still aren't bad. Altec and JBL diaphragms routinely sell for $150 to $200 each, plus installation.

Yeah, for some reason Klipsch thinks that having these tweeter diaphragms pass through their warehouse adds about $60 in value. You can get them for $22 or so from BEC on ebay, or probably look him up here and email him. Make sure you get the eight ohm parts, I don't think Klipsch used the 16 ohm. Used to be able to buy them from EV, but I heard they were out of stock recently.

The K-33 woofers Klipsch sells are optimized over decades for good performance in their enclosures. As recently as late last year they were $100 apiece including shipping. A lot of Klipsch parts went up substantially over the first of the year. LaScala grilles went from $26 to $52 per. Ouch.

Tom

Tony,

I have the diaphragms for the K-77 and I have the kits that John mentioned but the kits are only for the K-77M. You have to solder a diaphragm in a K-77. My parts are exactly the same as Klipsch would have. I also install diaphragms for customers and test the completed repair using the crossover of one of my Lascalas.

You can contact me if you wish.

bcrites@cswnet.com

Bob

I received the shipment from Klipsch today. The K33s are one beefy speaker and am glad I replaced the 2 in my La Scalas and didn't have the others reconed. Even if they are considered over priced.

The diaphragms are a different matter. These are unopened and going back to Klipsch. There is a guy locally that is going to put them in for me for no charge although I'm going to take him to lunch because he was nice enough to offer to do them for me. He does reconing and the like and has a good reputation around town with several concert promoters who would know the quality of his work.

I bought the diaphragms from Simply Speakers for $34 and would have gotten them from one of you guys if I weren't such a newbie here and as a new Klipsch owner.

I went to Lowes this evening and spent $86 on supplies I'll be using to refinish the cabinets. They haven't been stained before but have heavy cigarette staining as they were hanging above a bar for the last 25 years.

Got stripper, rags, sand paper, new bolts and screws for each speaker and the bottom of each cabinet and much more. Sanded a small area of one of the speakers estimate that it will take about 4 hours work or more to get them to their original raw birch glory. After their cleaned up I'll use a clear Minwax polyurethane satin stain to seal and protect the finish.

Also have new speaker wire and will rewire the inside of the cabinets where there is wire connecting speakers to cross over.

Going to build a pair of ALK cross overs as I've heard good things about them and the original xovers are nearing the end of their useful life.

Going to take my time refinishing and putting the new drivers in but I sure can't wait to hear the finished product. Really excited about the new higer end sound I will soon have. I don't think my Magnepans hold a candle to the La Scalas.

Thanks to all who replied to my original post. Will post pictures when I'm finished.

Regards,

Tony

Tony,

I am not trying to add fire but-I didn't see it in the posts, but my question is--did you know before buying that these speakers were in this condition? If not, is the seller willing to help defray any of the cost to complete all this work?

BE real carefull sanding the lascalas as the Brich plywood top layer is paper thin.

Its real easy to sand through or sand down so mush you see the 2nd ply through it.

The top layer is about the thikness as a pice of paper.

For removing smoke from the birch I would try washing them down with napha (any paint store sells it).Paint remove like 5f5 will aslo work at cleaning the finish but with bare wood its probly a wast of time.The smoke is most likely deep into the fisnish so a light sanding might not bring them back.

You could also try a pro wood cleaner also like Cabots deck cleanear or even good old bleach.

Good luch with you refinish.