LeoK's Parafeed Cobalt Moondogs ... Sweet !!

Leo and I have been swapping emails lately trying to find a time when I could get by his place and listen to his "new" Moondogs ... I say "new" because he's made some significant changes that have brought the sound to a level that really exceeds the formerly brilliant Moondogs themselves.

As you know from his previous posts, he's implemented a parallel feed (parafeed) circuit and has incorporated transformers with cobalt laminations. I'll leave the technical explanations of these changes to him, but I can tell you what my ears heard ...

Sonic bliss. There was absolutely no edge to the high frequency passages, the bass was perfect (very tight and fast), and the midrange was smooth and lush. Just amazing. His RF-7's were really creeping into Klipschorn territory in dynamics, and the soundstage was very detailed.

He added a new Philips CDP with the 192-bit upsampling feature, and I'm sure this was a help as I threw on some marginal CD's to see how they were handled. It is a very nice feature at an unbelievable price point ($450 or so), and hopefully (if I ask REALLY NICELY), maybe I could tool him into bringing it out for a comparison with my tubed CDP below.

I have a pair of JF Lessard's Horus monoblocks on order which also incorporate the parafeed circuit with cobalt lams, and when JF brings them down to Boston next month, we'll have Leo and Martha come on out for a tube fest and dinner. It should be fun!

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in on his gear and their sonics. Three thumbs up!!

Thanks for the mini-review Chris!

leok, do you have any photos of your Moondogs you could post? What are you using in the tube department if I may ask?

I also have a pair of JF Lessard parafeed/cobalt Horus amps on order, I am really looking forward to hearing them next to the Moondogs.

"There was absolutely no edge to the high frequency passages, the bass was perfect (very tight and fast), and the midrange was smooth and lush...RF-7's were really creeping into Klipschorn territory in dynamics, and the soundstage was very detailed."

Hey, that's what my system sounds like!

I'm so glad Leo's hard work is paying such dividends.

Man cannot live on Heritage alone.2.gif

----------------

On 5/9/2003 5:53:51 PM NOSValves wrote:

This man can !!

----------------

This man too !!

It's push pull all the way in this camp !! " PP peels paint "

None of that parlor music while you " SET " the table in my house.2.gif

I just lost about 30 minutes of text editing.

The attached picture is of some 2A3s. The center one (black KenRad) looks just like the "Champion" branded tubes that sound best with the Sylvania Chrometop 6SN7s. Just a bit cleaner on top than the RCA blackplates.

I have found, after all the work on the sources, that the tweaked RF-7 top end is my favorite. It is clean and transparent. Now in corners, with bass traps blocking bass reflections, the bass is powerful and reasonably flat. There is not the horn loaded bass and lower mid dynamics of KHorns, or probably LaScalas, but the speakers do fit in the house.

I look foreward to hearing the J.F. Lessard "Horus 2A3" design and my 'Dogs on Chris's KHorns in a few weeks. From my last visit I remember thinking that the overall dynamic and spectral realism of the KHorns made the mid/tweeter crossover signature a minor tradeoff. Maube I just need a new house.

leok

post-2879-13819247296068_thumb.gif

Leo,

Seems like all of the BBS's will sometimes lose your stuff, seems to happen more with big posts. If I'm doing one that's big I do it in notepad, then copy-n-paste into the browser window. I really got burned on this a couple times while posting detailed instructions on internal engine repairs on another board I belong to. WhattaPITA. Different BBS software too.

Tom

That was harsh.

Chris, I know you started this thread to give props to Leo's Moondoggies, but I wanted to thank you for also being opened minded with the RF-7's and voicing appreciation for what they can do when fed well. I get so much joy out of mine -- and it's always nice to see something good said about them.

Dean, I've got only Heritage in this house ... and that was by accident really, surely not design ...

I think the Heritage line's advantage is also its disadvantage, i.e., big boxes. Put a pair of Klipschorns in the middle of a room and you see how HUGE they are. They seriously get in the way. In corners they're tolerable.

The RF-7's footprint is wonderful and it fits Leo's 1800's-sized living room perfectly. They're beautiful to both look at and hear. Sitting in front of them with eyes closed, you'd swear they're Klipschorns. They're really that good. The only difference, and it's subtle, is that Klipschorns are less directional and just FILL A ROOM with music. Therefore you need serious cubic feet in the room for a pair of Klipschorns. RF-7's are practical and just lovely to experience, be it classical, jazz or rock and roll. If we move to a smaller place, it will be Reference series for me.