Newbie which receiver HK or Denon

kx2004

I just purchased the reference rb5 bookshelf and rc3 center for my home theater and I am upgrading my old receiver. Which receiver would you recommend the HKAVR7200 or the Denon 3803. I can get the HK for $1200 and the Denon for $900.

thanks

Listen to them both if you have that opportunity and decide for yourself which sounds better to you and which features you find most useful. This topic will generate a ton of opinions, I have a Denon AVR-4800 and have heard a couple of HK's but not long enough to provide any kind of opinion.

First of all, welcome to the forum. Secondly, you will find varying opinions on this topic so I suggest you do a search on denon vs hk and you will find dozens of threads on this topic with gobs of info to help in your decision making. A lot of opinions relate to how much music vs movies, other equipment to be integrated, etc. Good luck with your search. If you have more specific questions I'm sure lots of people will assist you. I don't own either so I'm not much help there.

I have the Denon AVR3802 (the version just before the current '03 version), and I find it works beautifully with my RF-7s. Other folks on here have and swear by the H/K gear. As others suggested, try to give each a listen if you can't. You just may decide the sound and features of the H/K unit you are considering will justify the $300 difference of the Denon unit. Than again, perhaps not. If you can't listen to both, and you don't see any "must have" feature of the H/K, than save the $300 and get the Denon. In either case, regardless of which one you go for, you will not be going wrong. They are both indeed excellent units.

----------------

On 5/21/2003 1:41:57 PM m00n wrote:

Ohhhhh now now. I just can't have that. Gotta balance out the Denon users with my H/K plug.

I have a Harman Kardon AVR520, love it. Excellent unit.
1.gif

----------------

I know, I know. 1.gif I was trying to be balanced in my reply, even though I personally have a Denon. I just didn't want this to turn into another "my reciever is better than your reciever" argument like that Paradigm thread was turning into with regards to speakers 6.gif

Well, I don't think those two are in the same class. That HK is one class above the Denon I think. The Denon 3802 is the same level as the HK 525. The HK 7200 you are talking about is a killer reciever and the Denon that is comparable I think is the 4802.

Everyone has different tastes. I myself like the HK and for everyone of us on this forum that like the HK there is a person that likes the Denon. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. As for the 7200 vs the 3802 that is a no brainer IMO. The 7200 is the upper end of the two.

I also was looking at those 2 receivers about a month ago. I went with the Denon, and after getting it home and playing with it, I can tell you the sound blew away my old Yamaha rxv995. The component video switching and bandwidth outputs helped me make my decision. Hope that helps a little.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sony KP-43HT20 43" HD TV

Hughes HIRD-E86 HD Receiver

Denon AVR-3803

Philips CDR 765 CD Recorder

Sony DVP-NS715P DVD Player

SF-2 Front

SC-1 Center

SS-1 Rear

KSW-12 Sub

I own Denon,and like Denon.I can't say its better than HK,they both offer a lot of features with good sound quality.If,lets say you wanted to add a Denon sacd/dvda player maybe its a good choice.If you own or want another brand dvd,cd etc..that won't matter.The bottom line is you really should try to listen/check features of any in your price range you can.Klipsch is one of the few things MOST all of us here can agree on.

I'm going to second (or third, or whatever) what Vital said that you can't go wrong either way. I just went from a Denon 4800 to H/K 525 and the only differences I can see are the differences in features between the two receivers. The main reason I went with the H/K was to have full bass management for DVD Audio. On the other hand, I gave up some power reserves and THX certification, if that means anything. I also agree, though, that the H/K 7200 is not on the same level as the Denon 3803. A closer comparison would be to the Denon 4802. Good luck either way.

If your budget is around $1200 you should give a listen to the Rotel 1055. I owed a Denon 3802 and auditioned a HK 520. The Rotel was hands down better musically for HT they were very close. The 1055 combined with a small amp for the rear centers gets my vote.

As always get what you think sounds the best

earle

Geo1 - Can you elaborate on the comment:

----------------

The main reason I went with the H/K was to have full bass management for DVD Audio.

----------------

What exactly does that mean?

In my case I am looking at Denon 2803 vs HH325. I will do no video switching and am only driving a set of 5.1 Synergies/SVS. Both nits are hi-current and closely priced. The only ifferences (Denon/HK) I know of are:

Power: 90/65 ( a factor?)

Front A/V : Yes/No (non-issue)

Coax Dig Out : No/Yes (non-issue as it has optical out)

MP3 Decoding : No/Yes (a factor?)

192k/24bit Capable : No/Yes (a factor?)

I agree both are great units. Denon has more power, HK has more features. Your bass management may help tip the scale.

All that said, the 'rack' in my wall unit is about 17.4 inches wide; Denon is 17.1 and will fit. HK is 17.3 and might not. Thats one way to decide!

Marvin

Yes,please elaborate on the Denon and its lack(I know of none)of BM compared to HK.The 2803 and 325 specifically.Also the pre amp of ther 3803 sounds better than the pre of the 4802 to "me"(opinion).The 4800 may have been lacking(several years old)not the 3803 in BM.I have a 3802 in my bedroom,it is a good unit,but don't sound like the 3803 for music and has many less features.

MarvinG and Fish: There is no industry standard for how the bass is recorded onto DVD Audio discs. It may be mixed into the front stereo channels, or into the LFE channel, or the surround channels. In other words, it varies from recording to recording. Unless you have full range speakers at each position, you may lose bass information and, therefore, not hear the entire recording. Most DVD players, even those which decode DVD Audio, don't allow you to redirect the bass to the channel(s) where you have the low frequency drivers. The H/K receivers have the capability to redirect the bass to the LFE channel so that none of that information is lost. On Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 you don't have to worry about this because the industry standards call for all of the bass to be mixed into the LFE channel and all DD and DTS processors must allow for bass management through the digital inputs. For me, the power difference was not an issue. Keep in mind that in order to raise the volume of the signal by 3 decibels, you have to double the power. Therefore, if one amplifier has 100 watts and another has 50 watts, that just means the lower power unit will drive a given set of speakers at just 3 decibels less than the higher power unit. Also, a decibel is generally defined as the minimum change in volume that the average person can recognize. Three decibels is not very much. This is a gross oversimplification of the electronics involved, but it illustrates how the power rating affects the volume. With highly efficient speakers such as Klipsch, the power issue is far less important.

Basically, that's what I'm saying, but remember that all DD and DTS receivers can redirect the bass when it comes in through a digital input. It's the bass that comes into the receiver through the external analog inputs, which are most often used for multi=channel audio recordings, that the H/K can also redirect. I don't believe the Denons can do it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.