Best Jazz Recording(s)

ssh

Allan,

You are indeed the man. Don't know how you do it, but please keep it coming. I have the Blakey, Mobley, Clark and Kenny Drew LP's. The latter two are reissues, but all great listening.

Hear are a few that I recall that have several good hard bob cuts. I truly enjoy the posts that talk about and share good jazz recordings!!!

Johnny Griffin - Blowin' Session (Blue Note)

Clifford Jordon and John Gilmore - Blowing In From Chicago (Blue Note)

Horace Silver - Six Pieces of Silver (Blue Note)

Jimmy Smith - The Sermon (Blue Note)

Horace Silver - The Tokyo Blues (Blue Note)

Art Blakey - Mosaic (Blue Note)

Dexter Gordon - Our Man in Paris (Blue Note) Has some good hard bop cuts.

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue (Blue Note) Think it qualifies

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know, old Joe Morello was a pretty talented man with the brushes and sticks. Great left hand independence. Desmond gave us Take Five but old Joe made it swing.

If a guy was going to buy LPs of some of the recommended titles, what should he look for? Are "re-pressings" (or whatever they are called)as good, equal or better than originals? I suppose the orininals have a higher collector value but sound would be my main concern.

Classic Records has been putting out some DAMN fine mono reissues of some of these Blue Note titles. Check their website at www.classicrecs.com for a list of coming titles.

The best sound will be found in original deep-groove mono pressings in NM condition. Tht ten titles listed would only set you back about $8,000 or so and might take 3-4 years to dig up! Some of the more common titles like "Moanin'" can be found for under $100, but things like "Open Sesame," "Davis Cup" and "Undercurrent" are in the $500 range and both "True Blue" and "Cool Struttin'" are in the $1500 range. OUCH!

The Japanese "King" and "Toshiba" pressings are great and can generally be had for around $25-$40 ea. Try me friend Hirashi at www.earlyrecords.com.

Early "Liberty" pressings in mono are good too, but are really scarce and have been rocketing in value--I just saw a Kenny Burrell vol. 2 sell for over $100 on ebay in mint condition. Scary! This was a $10 record a couple of years ago. The Liberty Stereo pressings can be OK as long as they're not of the "re-chanelled for Stereo" ilk.

French Pathe pressings from the mid-1980's are only "OK." And both the "DMM" pressings from the 1980's and the later Capitol "Connoisseur" series are DRECK. STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS.

After some thought! Because the original was mono, the process to convert to stereo loses something. That's not a statement of fact but rather a question. If I were to purchace Cool Struttin from Classic Records, should I get it in mono or sstereo?

----------------

On 6/6/2003 6:18:58 PM boomac wrote:

Ya know, old Joe Morello was a pretty talented man with the brushes and sticks. Great left hand independence. Desmond gave us Take Five but old Joe made it swing...

----------------

You're right! While Brubeck and Desmond played their timing changes, old Joe Morello was the anchor that held it all together. Morello's play clearly showed he was true artist and talented drummer.

Although he's not a drummer, Ray Baretto on congas is another artist that is impressive. Some consider him a Latin Jazz player, but many of us know he's performed on great recording with top jazz artist like; Montgomery, Stitt, Donaldson and Burrell. His bebop style of play and great timing can really wake up and punctuate a recording.

Allan..I recall earlier in the year that an auction for a mint original copy of "Cool Struttin'" closed at $1,800 which did not meet the sellers reserve. Insane isn't it!

Not all of these titles were released in Stereo originally--some Stereo mixes didn't see the light of day until the Japanese issues of the 1980's. For my money, all Blue Notes up until about 1963 sound WAAAAAAY better in mono--richer, fuller, more lifelike and with an astonishing "in your face" sound that you can't mistake for anything else. If you ever get the chance to hear really clean original, deep-groove pressings of LPs like "Cool Struttin'" or "The Jazz Messengers live at Cafe Bohemia" you'll know immediately what I'm talking about. They are ALIVE! Spine tingling stuff. And the Classic Records mono reissues are really close. I did an A/B test with both Lee Morgan's "Candy" and "Introducing Johnny Griffin" and was REALLY impressed. My originals are clean, but have some surface noise and the Classics were DEAD QUIET. Most of us who listened to both versions of these records ended up preferring the originals, but not by much. And considering that an original "Candy" will set you back at least $600 in playable condition and that the Classic reissue is $30, there is NO contest. I suggest you buy all of them. I am!

Here's the list. Boomac sent me the info he compiled from everyone's recommendations on this thread and I put up a web page. It should be easy to print it from the browser. I also made an Excel file and linked to it (right click-save to disc). Thanks to Boomac for pulling this together!

Jazz List

----------------

On 6/7/2003 4:28:15 PM jtice wrote:

Here's the list. Boomac sent me the info he compiled from everyone's recommendations on this thread and I put up a web page. It should be easy to print it from the browser. I also made an Excel file and linked to it (right click-save to disc). Thanks to Boomac for pulling this together!

----------------

Thanks to Boomac for putting this together and to Jtice for putting it in a format I could print.1.gif

I stumbled across a beautiful CD today in my local Half Price Books shop. Dave Grusin Discovered Again plus! It's the 76 LP recording, with four alternative takes (Sheffield Lab's Audiophile Reference Series). The bass work by Ron Carter on The Colorado Trail (both takes) is something special.

"Recommended list" titles that I have listened to.

5 stars - Exceptional

4 stars - Excellent

3 stars - Very Good

2 stars - Good

1 star - ok

Lee Morgan - Sidewinder *****

Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby *****

Chet Baker - Chet Baker Sings *****

Dave Holland (Big Band) - What Goes Around ****

Desmound & Mulligan - Two of a Mind *****

Great stuff!

I had Waltz for Debby & Chet Baker Sings on last night and for the first time in many years, my wife asked "who is that on the stereo". She and a couple visiting really enjoyed the music. Now I'm really anxious for the Scott 299 to arrive. Anxious to listen to more of the recommendations as well!

Another recommendation:

Dave Brubeck Quartet, "Jazz at Oberlin," Fantasy Records. Newly remastered CD and it sounds great. This album is an excellent way to experience another side of Brubeck's quartet if you've mostly identified him with timing experiments. The more I play it the better I like it. Desmond is wonderful on this as well.

For those who like a bit of classical mixed with their jazz, or can savor the sound and disregard labels... I've been paying attention to bass solos latelylike John Clayton's excellent work on "Jimmie" on Diana Krall's Stepping Out. So, one night I had drifted off to jazz on NPR and at some point in the night I became aware of amazingly rich, low sounds emanating from what I assumed was a bow on acoustic bass. At times it seemed loosely structured, other times more structured and it didn't end after a few bars. There was no accompanimenta pure solo that seemed to have no ending. I drifted in and out of consciousness and awoke in the morning obsessed with something that I only vaguely recollectedin fact I even wondered if I could have dreamed it. Nahnot a chance, it was real and I had to find it. What I had heard was a cello playing Suite No. 1 in G for Unaccompanied Cello by J.S. Bach. I'm still not certain which recording, possibly Yo-Yo Ma Inspired by Bach. There are six suites, each with six movements, all wonderful, two and a half hoursyou don't have to be a blueblood to love these. I bought the complete set perfomed by Maurice Gendron. I also snagged a copy of Yo-Yo's recording from ebaynot cheap at Barnes and Noble. Now, please don't be too hard on me for taking you down this side roadif one other person discovers these and likes'em as much as me it will have been worth it.

The Jazz List has been updated and now has 88 recommendations.

John

John,

On Friday I picked up 14 LPs at a local yard sale. Several were sealed and I didn't even take a close look at them. All 14 for $5.00. I'm reading your post and I realize one of the new records featured the artist Yo-Yo-Ma. I must admit, I didn't know anything about Yo-Yo-Ma and only grabbed it because it was sealed and said Bach on the cover. Upon futher inspection, it is not the same recordings you were referring to. I will give it a listen, however, and if enjoyable, I'll go looking for Suite 1 in G.

Maybe we should add Duke Pearson's Tender Feelins to the list. I've seen it mentioned in a couple other threads including a post by Allan. Probably a worthy selection.

Add These:

Lou Donaldson "Blues Walk" Blue Note

Grant Green "Idle Moments" Blue Note

Joe Henderson "Page One" Blue Note

Ben Webster "Soulville" Verve

Dexter Gordon "GO" Blue Note

Bud Powell "The Scene Changes" Blue Note

Duke Pearson "Wahoo" Blue Note

Helen Merrill "Helen Merrill" Emarcy

Teddy Edwards "Teddy's Ready" Contemporary

Bill Perkins/John Lewis "Grand Encounter: Two Degrees East and Three Degress West" Pacific Jazz

Johnny Hodges "Everyone Knows" Impulse

Baby Face Willette "Face to Face" Blue Note

Just off the top of my head . . . .