Best Jazz Recording(s)

ssh

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boomac,

Yo-Yo is all over the maphe's unusual in that he plays in so many genres and actually pulls it off. Please don't attempt to form an impression of Bach's Cello Suites based on an unrelated Ma recording. I checked out Premiers by Ma at the library and couldn't even get through itjust not my cuppa tea. The cello suites themselves are unique whether performed by Ma, Gendron or Rostropovich. And much larger than any one individual's performance. I'd suggest sampling at Barnes & Noble with headphones. But you won't really hear them until you listen on a system that can fill the room.

I saw the other thread about the Duke Pearson vinylI'll add it. There's an older jazz thread that may have more good material. I was entertaining thoughts about flagging a subset as "essential recordings." But then I realized that what we have are a few basic repertoire albums and many more that go deeper. Hmmm

I can't believe that no one has asked what genre of jazz you were interested in!!

There's just so much material and so many styles of jazz!

Check out "Jazz for Dummies" and the recent PBS series on Jazz by Ken Burns.

Jazz is an American treasure.

This was the post that started it all.

What jazz do you recommend for someone new to tubes,who wants to enjoy the detail of an exemplary recording?

SSH

I think any form of jazz that sounds great on Klipsch Speakers is fair game. It's amazing how much I have learned from this thread.

From acousticsounds.com:

Waltz for Debby - Original Jazz Clasics LP - $10

Waltz for Debby - Analogue Productions Test Pressing - $25

They also have:

Lee Morgan - Candy ( Classic Records, (Blue Note) LP 200 gram ) for $29.99

Other than the OJC $10 LP are these quality records or should I be looking in the $50 - $100 for keepers?

Not aware that both were from the same date. I will have to check out "Sunday at the Village Vangard". My wife likes this music and it's great for the cocktail and dinner hours. I read something about an accident but don't know the specifics. Shape, how about "the rest of the story"?

Thanks for the listing, boomac & jtice.This is the most fun I've had going broke since I jumped-off into new equipment.I've been off the net for a few days & it's great to see all of the new info.Ditto that I'm getting an education here ,too.Besides the titles,the new sounds,read the history here.Some of you have helped shape it.Boomac,I thought we'd get a few new tingles through the tubes,but this is an awesome response to obviously loved music.

SSH1.gif

boomac,

Unfortunately, I don't know a lot of the details.

But I've read that Bill Evans' Trio, including Bassist Laforo, completed a gig on 25 June 1961. All the songs on both LP's were recorded from that date. Some 10 days later Laforo was killed in an auto accident. Seems Evans and others decided to release the cuts on the Sunday at the Village Vanguard LP soon after his death. There was inferences made that it was hastily done to taking advantage of the publicity surrounding the death. Truth or rumor...don't know?

We have seen what record companies are capable of doing today when an artist dies tragically or otherwise.

Shape,

I just read where Sunday at the Village Vangard was quickly released as "a tribute" to the late bassist. I guess Scott Lafaro's picture was featured on the front cover. One of those things we will never know for sure!

billevans1.jpg

billevans2.jpg

I had always assumed the photo on "Sunday at the Village Vanguard" to be that of Evans. I did a little searching and am fairly certain that it is Evans. Second photo, left to right: Lafaro, Evans, Motian.

Also, another update to the Jazz List and excel file has been uploaded. We now have an even one hundred recommended jazz albums!

John

The kids gave me Sonny Clark's Cool Struttin for Fathers Day. Wow! What great stuff this is. No question it's a 5 star recommendation. At Alan's recommendation, I ordered the LP from classicrecs.com last week. Both it and the new CD will get a lot of play around here.

Alan, are there any other recordings with Clark, Farmer, McLean, Chambers and Philly Joe together? They had to enjoy recording this.

here's a couple:

eva cassidy - live at blues alley -- what a great singer -- she interprets songs using jazz styles, blues, gospel, r & b -- sometimes in the same song -- very subtly and most deliciously -- classy.

punk jazz -- jaco pastorius anthology -- get to hear some rarely heard cuts with him as a sideman. great music.9.gif

boomac,

Here's some info to read and check out til Allan gives you the real skinny on Clark. Sonny has played on releases and toured with several well know band leaders & female vocalist. He began producing as a leader himself with his release of Dial 'S' for Sonny, a 1957 Blue Note Release . His other 1957 release titled Sonny Clark Trio, w/Paul Chambers and Phily Joe Jones is a joy too. Sonny Clark and Wynton Kelly are two of my favorite pianist. I've not heard a bad Sonny Clark release. His playing is has always been exceptional!

Here's a link to a page that shows many of the LP's he played on as sideman and leader.

http://www.icnet.ne.jp/~acchan/scl.htm

That's my .01, fwiw.

Chris,

Sonny Clark is great. Where did you find that CD?

Mallett,

Thanks for recommending "The Best of Louis Armstrong". I just got the TT working tonight, thanks to Garymd's nice gift, and St James Infirmary is indeed, something special. My college age daughter couldn't believe Louis's voice. I'm not sure but I think he did that tune when I saw him live at the Lambertville, NJ Music Circus back in about 1965.