Best Jazz Recording(s)

ssh

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

boomac,

You should be able to find "Voodoo" by the Sonny Clark Memorial Quartet on Amazon or Gemm. BTW, This is a tribute record of sorts to Sonny Clark. He died 22 years before it was recorded. You can check out the players and reviews for this album at www.allmusic.com.

Chris

I never miss a chance to hear Jackie McLean live. I've heard him at the Blue Note in New York 8 or 10 times and at the Jazz Bakery in L.A. about the same. The last time he was in L.A. it was with Cedar Walton and they blew the roof off of the Bakery. I heard him in New York with Phil Woods for their 70th birthday bash--Jackie was so vibrant and young and full of energy and ideas and Phil looked and played like an old man (no lungs)--too bad.

Anyway, the run of albums Jackie McLean made for Blue Note from "New Soil" through "Demon's Dance" over an 8 or 9 year period is amazing. Every album is great and when listened to in order you hear a document of an artist's struggle to get "free." From the boogie-woogie/soul influence of Walter Davis on "New Soil" through the transitional "Let Freedom Ring" to the landmark collaberations with Grachan Moncur III on "One Step Beyond" and "Destination Out" and the one-time meeting with Ornette Coleman on "Old and New Gospel" (probably the weakest LP in the whole lot, actually!). I can't reccomend this body of work highly enough!

The earlier LPs for Prestige/New Jazz are for the most part typical "blowing sessions," but are still very enjoyable. I think "Lights Out" and "McLean's Scene" are the best of the lot, but if you come across any of them in the bargain bin, don't hesitate!

The Ad-Lib LP on ebay is an EXTEMELY rare item--in all the years of collecting jazz LPs I have seen exactly ONE of these and it wasn't for sale. Finding one for under a buck is as good as it gets in the record collecting biz, that's for DAMN sure! WOW! The same session was reissued on Jubilee and the reissue is way cheaper (that's the version I have!!). It's a very early session where McLean is still playing like Charlie Parker and doing it well--he's joined by a very young Donald Byrd and Mal Waldron. This same basic group cut "Lights Out!" for Prestige later the same year. Good, hard-driving bebop.

For those of you who do not listen to jazz or don't quite know where to start, do a search under "Great Father's Day Gift" and you will see what my son put together for me on CD. I'm willing to burn some copies for anyone interested. It will give you a little better idea what you would like to invest your money in. They are all great recordings and while there's not a ton of variety, there's enough to get started.

For further reading the allmusic.com site is interesting--not definitive--but interesting. Here is their list of important "Hard Bob" albums along with their take on that style.

-kj

Although some history books claim that Hard Bop arose as a reaction to the softer sounds featured in cool jazz, it was actually an extension of bop that largely ignored West Coast jazz. The main differences between hard bop and bop are that the melodies tend to be simpler and often more "soulful"; the rhythm section is usually looser, with the bassist not as tightly confined to playing four-beats-to-the-bar as in bop; a gospel influence is felt in some of the music; and quite often, the saxophonists and pianists sound as if they were quite familiar with early rhythm & blues. Since the prime time period of hard bop (1955-70) was a decade later than bop, these differences were a logical evolution and one can think of hard bop as bop of the '50s and '60s. By the second half of the 1960s, the influence of the avant garde was being felt and some of the more adventurous performances of the hard bop stylists (such as Jackie McLean and Lee Morgan) fell somewhere between the two styles. With the rise of fusion and the sale of Blue Note (hard bop's top label) in the late '60s, the style fell on hard times although it was revived to a certain extent in the 1980s. Much of the music performed by the so-called Young Lions during the latter decade (due to other influences altering their style) was considered modern mainstream, although some groups (such as the Harper Brothers and T.S. Monk's sextet) have kept the 1960s' idiom alive. Scott Yanow

Related Styles: Funk-Jazz Bop Cool Soul Jazz Latin Jazz Neo-Bop Post-Bop Free Jazz West Coast Jazz Modal Music Standards Jazz-Rock Jazz-Rap Avant-Garde Jazz

Some Important Albums

Paul Chambers: Bass on Top <1957>

Kenny Dorham: Afro-Cuban <1955>

Miles Davis: Workin' <1956>

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis with Johnny Griff: Live at Minton's -- First Set <1961>

Kenny Dorham: Una Mas <1963>

Curtis Fuller: Blues-ette <1959>

Donald Byrd: Byrd in Flight <1960>

SAMPLE ALBUM REVIEW: Dexter Gordon - Go! *****

From the first moments when Dexter Gordon sails into the opening song full of brightness and confidence, it is obvious that Go! is going to be one of those albums where everything just seems to come together magically. A stellar quartet including the stylish pianist Sonny Clark, the agile drummer Billy Higgins, and the solid yet flexible bassist Butch Warren are absolutely crucial in making this album work, but it is still Gordon who shines. Whether he is dropping quotes into "Three O'Clock in the Morning" or running around with spritely bop phrases in "Cheese Cake," the album pops and crackles with energy and exuberance. Beautiful ballads like "I Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry" metamorphosize that energy into emotion and passion, but you can still see it there nonetheless. Gordon had many high points in his five decade-long career, but this is certainly the peak of it all. Stacia Proefrock

1. Cheese Cake (Gordon) - 6:30

2. I Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry - 5:18

3. Second Balcony Jump (Eckstine/Valentine) - 7:02

4. Love for Sale (Porter) - 7:34

5. Where Are You? (Adamson/McHugh) - 5:17

6. Three O'Clock in the Morning (Robledo/Terriss) - 5:41

Dexter Gordon's "quotes" were one of his trademarks--sometimes they were jarring and BRILLIANT (such as the "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" quote referenced above), while other times they seemed easy and cloying. But Dexter was Dexter and you had to ride that rollercoaster "get" him. And it is absolutely worth the ride.

But my all-time favortie "quote" is from the most unlikely of players--

Ornette Coleman. I think it's on the live set "The Great London Concert"--maybe not--I don't remember exactly. Anyway, it the middle of a furious solo Ornette pauses and plays the melody line of "Cherokee" as STRAIGHT as you could imagine and then pauses again and tears off in another direction. Totally bizarre and it WORKS! I'll have to dig for this one tonight and tell you all where to find it! Looks like an Ornette evening ahead . . .

----------------

On 6/18/2003 2:41:11 PM dodger wrote:

I'd recommend "Winter In America" by Gil Scott-Heron/Brian Jackson. The album version if possible. Great recording, nice upscale jazz.

----------------

I like Winter In America too. Found an excellent original LP (Strata-East, 1974) earlier this year. This was his second release with Keyboardist Brian Jackson. My favoriates are "The Bottle" and "H2OGate Blues". The Poetic lyrics, Gil's tenor voice and a good rhythm section makes it all come together nicely.

Same time as above I got very nice copy of Illinois Jacquet's "Mood To Be Wooed" (Sexy Saxphones & Strings), Cadet, Mono. Listening to it now on the Fisher 800B in Mono. Jacquet, James Moody, Budd Johnson & Sandy Mosse. Their instruments do sound seductive and alive as described in the liner notes. If you can find this don't hesitate...buy it.

The final LP of that outing was a copy of Johnny Hodges / Wild Bill Davis' "Blue Rabbit", Verve, Mono. Rabbit was one of Hodges nicknames. Blue was said to be his favorite color and quality of play. Also worth it just to hear Wild Bill on the organ.

Allan,

I don't get to post often, but have followed some of this Jazz post recently. So glad to see "Jackie Mac" finally show up. He's long been a favorite of mine and will appear on many of my past play lists. Let's please not forget the legacy of the 3 M's. That not the chemical company, but Miles, Mingus, and Monk. Another simple formula for locating spectacular Jazz recordings is to follow the development of artists who played under the guidance of leaders like Art Blakey, Horace Silver, Miles Davis. That said, too many people don't know about Charles Rouse because he spent so many years with Monk, but I always enjoy his tenor work. Dexter Gordon, Joe Henderson, Dizzy, Lee Morgan, Woody Shaw, Bobby Htcherson, JJ Johnson, Cannonball, John Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Pepper Adams. The vocals of Eddie Jefferson, Jon Hendricks, Betty Carter, Nina, Dinah, Ella, Billie.....and on and on! There's just not enough space to list the rich discography that's the history of Jazz. I'm elated to see this discussion and quest for more information on Jazz recordings and artist. It's a shame many of these artist did not receive the appreciation and respect their work so deserved when they were alive. Nevertheless, Jazz is alive and well, with many bright stars on the horizon to keep it's traditions strong and vibrant.

Klipsch out.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this one has come up yet but I've been listening to a lot of Coleman Hawkins lately and I picked up 3 cds at the library today. One stood out head and shoulders above the rest as far as sound quality. It's "The Genius of Coleman Hawkins" on Verve Records, made in Germany, recorded in L.A. in 1957 with Oscar Peterson, Herb Ellis, Ray Brown and Alvin Stoller. I give it 5 stars.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost two months ago ssh asked. "What jazz do you recommend for someone new to tubes,who wants to enjoy the detail of an exemplary recording?" After 130 some replies, we had a fantastic list of recommendations. bclarke421 suggested that it would be interesting if members posted their thoughts once they had a chance to preview any of the titles mentioned. How about a brief review from some of you that really got into this? Maybe a list of your top five. Perhaps some of our more knowledgable jazz enthusiast will then respond.

Here's mine in no particular order:

Sidewinder: Lee Morgan

Cool Struttin: Sony Clark

Tender Moments: McCoy Tyner

Waltz for Debbie: Bill Evans

Chet Baker Sings: Chet Baker

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Holy Cow! Its been almost 3 years. According to my last post, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />07/15/03 my favorite 5 jazz records were:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Sidewinder: Lee Morgan

Cool Struttin: Sony Clark

Tender Moments: McCoy Tyner

Waltz for Debbie: Bill Evans

Chet Baker Sings: Chet Baker

Though I still enjoy those 5, the list has changed. Heres 5 that I always have close to the machine.

Song for My Father: Horace Silver

Everybody Likes Hampton Hawes: Hampton Hawes

Blue Train: John Coltrane

Minor Move: Tina Brooks

"Face to Face": Baby Face Willette

Since I'm a bass player, I'll throw my two cents in that direction.

Ron Carter, "Piccolo"

Great sound. Even the standard LP is a great pressing. Recorded live in a NYC club. While listening one night, even my wife commented, "This is so nice, it sounds just like we're at a first row table at a small jazz club." I got up to get the LP cover and show her. On the back is a photo of the band set up, on the floor, in the corner at Sweet Basil, a small NYC Queens jazz club (RIP).

Ron Carter, piccolo bass; Buster Williams, bass; Kenny Barron, piano; Ben Riley, drums

Favorites come and go. Tastes evolve.

At one point I listened to 60% "New Thing"--late Cotrane, Archie Shepp, Albert Ayler, Frank Wright, Sonny Simmons, Clfford Thornton, Sunny Murray,Paul Bley--you know THAT stuff.

Now it's down to about 10% and I'm back in the solid HARD BOP groove again.

Who knows what phase I'll fall into next.

I love jazz. ALL jazz.