Listening test at Cut-Throats with Moondogs and Belles

Randy Bey

I made it out to CTs for a listening session this afternoon. These Moondogs are the ones that Erik has been so helpful with. And the Belles you all know from CTs posts on the restoration and the made-from-scratch type A crossovers.

The Belles/Moondogs sounded very, very good. A lot of changes since I was last there; crossovers, different room, front end equipment, etc. but good golly they sounded sweet with those 2A3s.

We did some comparisons with the Billie 300B and IMHO the Billies (I can't say if this is a 300B trait or the design) sounded brittle and squawkish compared to the fullsome meaty toothy sound of the 2A3 Moondogs. That truly is a king of an amp.

I had to talk CT out of dipping his horns in cement though. :) He wants to reduce the ringing, and that is a good thing to do, so I gave him a few pointers from someone who has done it not once, but twice. A certain person who shall remain nameless (but whose initials are MH) said that horns can be overdamped. In light of that statement I ripped off $65 worth of dynamat and spent the next two months disliking how the khorns sounded. I ended up with $15 worth of rope caulk in its stead, and I think the results are good. Dynamat is a bit better, but quite a bit more expensive.

Hats off to Cut-Throat for a job well done! And I won't even tell his sacrilegious secret to anyone on this board without a little stool pidgeon money exchanging hands first.

"he who shall remain nameless" sounds like harry potter LOL! remind us how to use the caulking...I thought soem strips layed strategically on the "weak" points (farthest from the molded in ribs) would do it...regards, tony

And I won't even tell his sacrilegious secret to anyone on this board without a little stool pidgeon money exchanging hands first.

Oh Oh ! now you've got me worried. - There goes my Supreme Court Nomination.9.gif

Craig:

The words are there, but it lacked the detailed and rational explanation as to why Dean is a loon and a freak. 2.gif Kelly has a style all his own, a little like a radio talk show host. You might now always agree with him, but you keep coming back for more, both information and entertainment.

Mind you, most of us on this website could be considered a loon or a freak by friends and sometimes family for our obsessions with Klipsch and sound.