Observations re my Khorn Baptism !

lynnm

1.) ca. 1909

Yep those corners look pretty good and Billy your idea of putting a window a foot from the corner works great - adds a lot of light !

2.)

Those 1909 corners are not really close to being square in the vertical plane !

2a.) That farging window is in the way and mi esposa has made it clear that either it stays or I form an especially intense understanding of my right hand!

3a.) Monkiness not really being high on my agenda I have found a workaround.

They are breathtaking !

I will not claim that they are the ultimate in bass - particularly in the mid bass region ( Good but my KLF30's have a lot more punch). That said - I no longer listen to my stereo - I listen to music.

There is no sense of this is coming from the right woofer and that from the left mid etc. Soundstaging is a tad prosaic as everything sounds as if one were sitting in front of the band and at times I sense that the performers would have moved around a bit more than what I am hearing.

That said ! If you want my Khorns contact my executor !

1. glad you are enjoying the k-horns, as said previously they make music.

2. a false corner would be nearly invisible to your spouse...I swear, my wife did not even notice I had placed one for the first few days.

3. tone control? a click or two of added bass on the left speaker?

warm regards, tony

----------------

On 5/28/2003 10:58:12 PM lynnm wrote:

1-800-Go-Away

9.gif
----------------

Indeed! It's nice to hear someone really taking in life, breathing the air and listening to Khorns (and reeaaallllly enjoying them) and having fun, too!

sunnysal

I put in a jerry rigged false corner tonight and found that it made no difference to the sound. Bear in mind that that speaker IS in the corner and the presence of that window merely introduces an irregularity into the upper 10% of the "horn flare." Smoothing out the flare with the false corner made no difference to the bass that I was able to hear.

I have found that the more I listen to them the cleaner,tighter and more utterly seamless they sound. Even my wife who has been basically tolerant of my sonic obsession to this point has been commenting about how open and airy the horns are. I am also beginning to understand that I am not hearing less bass overall than with the 30's but in fact that the 30's are , by comparison, a little hot in the mid-bass.

The more I listen to the Horns the happier I am.

Lynn...they are likely to be your last upgrade! About 24 years with mine and the only temptation I ever had was hearing Bruce Edgar's horns, but his bass horn is massive and takes up more room than the Khorn anyway, so maybe it will be another 24 years...should my body make it that long...and my ears!

lynn..........you're on your way. Enjoy the music!

On a side 'note', a friend of mine in Japan is writing an article for the Japanese audio mag Audio Basic on "difference between US audiophile's word and Japanese's ones to express the sound." He asked me, "What is your favorite words to express good sound (real, open.....?) or bad

sound (harsh, bright....) ?" I told him its the same as when he heard my system. When everything is truely "right" you stop using subjective words to describe the sound. You start describing the music (just like he did when he was over). If you have to use subjective words such as 'harsh' or 'open' or 'sweet', then something is wrong.

Ain't it the TRVTH? Cornwalls, Heresies, all the other Klipsch products, they are really nice.

But the big ol' horns are TRVTH.

I suspect the mid-bass issue is elsewhere.

I haven't read speaker reviews for a long time. Why bother?

I also fully concur with the characterization of the K'horn as a musical instrument rather than a speaker.

I occasionally re-read the 8 Card handed to me by PWK so many years ago. It is so full of TRVTH. Most of the work in a 'horn is handled by physics. Someday, someone will figure out how to modulate air directly. Until that day, there will be K'horns, and 50,000.00 speakers that try to approximate them.

God bless PWK!

Dave