The Official Indy Trip 'Tell Us Everything About It' Thread

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trip is not until the 21st of June (about three weeks). The May 30th date was just a deadline to get the hotel reservations in before the hold that Klipsch had on the rooms expired. Believe me, after this trip is done, I am quite certain you will hear about it and people we be posting pictures.

Sheesh, and I showed up this weekend. No wonder it was so boring!!!! Me and Vern (from the Walmart) had a heck of a party in the lot with his boom box hooked to the K-Horns I jacked from the loading dock at the lab, though. You won't even know they wuz gone, Trey.

DD

----------------

On 6/2/2003 9:43:20 PM trey cannon wrote:

See everyone, I told you that Doug and Ross are trouble....

BTW: The hotel in Hope said that you owe them a clock radio.

After you 2 were there, it just hasn’t worked right again...

----------------

I think they just need Heresys in every room, Trey! Once you've tried Klipsch, etc., you know. Sounds like a sales call...

fini

• 3 weeks later...

Well Clu, we all have to get home! Naturally, it was over too soon. The new Klipsch subs are going to be KILLER! We had a really interesting demo from Dion of the soon to be released RW-12. It was so much better than similar competitors, it was obvious. One of the competitors' subs had louder distortion than fundamental! It sounded like a car stereo sub!

I failed the A-B-X speaker wire test miserably. After lunch, I got 2 of my own CDs, but ran out of time and didn't get to do it again. One of the speaker wires were the same as the ones I use!

Klipsch's hospitality was the best, too. Thank You Klipsch, from Miss Judy and Mike Klipsch to Jim Hunter, Trey, Steve, Dion, Mark, Kerry Giest, Joshua, and many others I can't remember or didn't meet, everybody was great and we all had a wonderful time. This trip was every bit as fun as the trip to Hope, but for different reasons.

We got to hear ALL of the Heritage Line in one room. It was great! I had never heard them all and the last time I heard K-horns, Belles and Heresies in one room was at Audio Systems in Nashville in 1977! Each are different and as good as La Scalas are the K-horn rules the room. I had not heard them in 25 years, but I now know why the obsession is there. I COULD build false corners!

Many of the rooms had new Reference Series in them. Finally, I heard them in a good environment. I was not impressed at Tweeter, but I am now. They are worthy of being called Klipsch. Go getcha some! The RF-35s would make most anybody a really good stereo/HT system.

It was good to see some of the old forum members and meet others. Of course, NOBODY looked like they were supposed to. Jhawk92 and HDRBuilder may have been the biggest surprises. Builder, aka Andy, had only shown pics from the 70s. Actually, he's cleaned up pretty nice these days! 2.gif His Heresies are much prettier in person than pictures. I'd talked to and e-mailed Jhawk92 (Rob) several times. I expected him to be lots younger and shorter. 9.gif I don't know why, we all seem to be close to the same age. Klipschindyfan and wife were highly entertaining and took us to a great Irish Pub. Trey tried to get us all "cut". 6.gif

I rode my Triumph to Indy. The weather was perfect for it! I stayed freaked by all of the bikers wearing sleeveless t-shirts, shorts and athletic shoes and NO HELMETS! Here I was looking like something out of "Mad Max" with my protective clothing and full-face helmet and I was the only one! It truly ought to be the rider's choice, but I would never choose to go with no helmet and shorts.

It was a great trip and the ones that didn't come have every reason to be jealous! 1.gif Pictures to follow.

----------------

On 6/2/2003 9:43:20 PM trey cannon wrote:

See everyone, I told you that Doug and Ross are trouble....

BTW: The hotel in Hope said that you owe them a clock radio.

After you 2 were there, it just hasnt worked right again...
----------------

Tell the hotel to max out their credit cards and call it even 9.gif

Oh I did post a thread thanking Klipsch for there wonderful southern hospitality. It did not get many hits yet, but here it is. http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=36122&sessionID={0CFD012E-41B4-4E22-A7D3-BCDA7AB98913}

Ill start my stories from the beginning. A brief recap of our get together 8:00 PM Friday night. Basically we sat around talking till 2 AM!!! Andy brought a HK 430 and his gorgeous Heresys to play music. As the night went on the music got louder and louder.

John A did a great job bringing all the snacks. The rest of us brought a bunch of booze. Gill brought copies of the entire Dope from Hope series to pass out.

Trey and Steve P showed up late, they were working on Treys HT setup. We got to see it Sat afternoon, but that will be a separate post.

The stories obviously were about audio and way beyond especially as the night went on and as we kept drinking of course. Artto had stories about his female neighbors exhibitionist tendencies. Skonopa loves Mexican food and clearly is a kid trapped in a mans body like Tom Hanks in BIG. Jhalk92 is going to be a proud pa-pa later this year and is a high tech satellite engineer to boot.

Andy was the life of the party by far. What a nut. You know how his stories go on and on with great detail.. Get a few beers into him and you can imagine. He is into Motorcycles, owns a BMW, and has tons of Army reserve stories as well. I heard one that included LAS speakers loaded into the back of a Hummer while on maneuvers.

In talking to you fine people, I concluded that we are all a bunch of kids who have never grown up and no plans to grow up.

Got to get back too work, Unfortunately it takes me two days to catch up for every one day I take off on vacation. (sucky job) Would be nice to work for a company like Klipsch where the employees obviously love and are proud of the company they work for. That was obvious on Saturday.

More to come..

JM

News Flash !!!! Indianapolis!

KLIPSCH VISITORS CONTINUE TRADITION.

DESTROY HOTEL CLOCK MISTAKEN FOR BOSE WAVE RADIO

AFTER NIGHT OF SHENANIGANS AT LOCAL IRISH PUB.

PICTURES ON THE FORUM AT ELEVEN.

We now return you to Oprah Winfrey.

9.gif

----------------

On 6/23/2003 12:40:04 PM John Albright wrote:

The new Klipsch subs are going to be KILLER! We had a really interesting demo from Dion of the soon to be released RW-12. It was so much better than similar competitors, it was obvious

I failed the A-B-X speaker wire test miserably. After lunch, I got 2 of my own CDs, but ran out of time and didn't get to do it again. One of the speaker wires were the same as the ones I use!

We got to hear ALL of the Heritage Line in one room. It was great! I had never heard them all and the last time I heard K-horns, Belles and Heresies in one room was at Audio Systems in Nashville in 1977! Each are different and as good as La Scalas are the K-horn rules the room.

----------------

Thanks for that summary John... I knew it was going to be a blast from the list of activities. I did get to see some of you guys in the http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=35931 thread.. but I can't wait to see the rest in these threads... The A-B-X wire test must have been pretty much fun... what different wires were tested... and did anyone do better than others? It is a test which is very hard to repeat at home... I don't think I have golden ears but I'd still love to try it.

The all heritage room must have been great, unfortunately I wasn't into audio when these were current models so I've never heard them in the same room side by side... and I still haven't heard a K-horn (sorry, I'm too young 2.gif ). I was also wondering if you got to hear the RW subs near the RSW ? a KSW?

Can't wait for more details to trickle in...

Later...

Rob

Im going to put off writing about the Engineering lab until I have enough time to do it justice. As for the Heritage room, it had a bit of an echo, sounded great when it was full of people, so unfortunately Khorns can and do sound better than they did on Saturday at Klipsch.

After the Engineering lab tour Trey (the most excellent gracious host) invited us over to his house to experience his HT.

Treys HT is a pair of Verticle Cornwalls for mains, KP ???? (basically Industrial Cornwalls) for rears. A first-class homebuilt Corwall for a center built out of spare parts. His subs were a test Khorn and Jubilee bass bins in the front corners. One of the perks working at Klipsch, lucky guy.

His HT sounded GREAT. Evan Artto (the listening room master) commented on how nice Treys CWs sounded. One note worth mentioning is how impressed a lot of us were with the sound of the Aragon amps, both in the lab and at Treys. I heard this from both SS and Tube guys who visited.

We watched a few snippets of movie selections and a DTS sampler disk. Trey played the THX intro for us at about I would guess 120 db a few times, very impressive. His Heritage subs were very tight sounding at that volume.

We then switched to music. Some off the DTS disk and CDs.

The absolute highlight at Treys house was watching his 4 year old daughter dance to the music in her cow girl outfit, hamming it up to the highest level like kids that age do.

Back to work at my crummy job again.

More to follow

JM

Greetings Gentlemen,

On behalf of my wife and I, we would like to thank Trey, Jim, Mark, and all the rest for an excellent day. We were treated as honored guests and overloaded with info, food, music, and fellowship with all the forum members that attended. It was great to put a face with the name and set down to a wonderful meal with all.

I have never heard of a company going to the extent that Klipsch did to assure our day was interesting and entertaining.

We would also like to thank Trey and his lovely wife for inviting us to their home and entertaining us until time for dinner, He has a wonderful family.

This forum has some of the greatest people I have ever met, it just goes to show that people from varied social and economic backgrounds can come together in one accord if they shame common interests and goals. This forum is more of a family than a company forum.

I now have many new ideas for my HT, ie false corners, new oak Belle center,....

Well, back to my same old job as well. I only live 50 miles from Klipsch, hey Trey do you need any help?

Best regards,

Greg

You can find some more pictures at this link!

It was a great day, the best of which was the hospitality and warmth shown by the Klipsch folks. Great gifts as well (pen, shirt, BS button). It was great to finally meet some of the great folks from this board in person. Super bunch of folks all around!

I failed the A-B-X wire test as well, so I guess I know what kind of wire I'm getting next time around! Edit: The wires were good ol' 18 gauge (yeah, 18!) zip cord vs. some Cat-5 braided stuff. By failed I mean I got 45% correct. Most others did similar, except Artto. For his first 12 or so choices he was up near 80% or so, but on his last few choices he did poor and it dropped to 50% or so overall. The Klipsch engineer (forgot the name, sorry!) seemed impressed nontheless. Most folks were getting around 50%, or about as good as a bald monkey). The jist of the test is the compter switcher thingy tells you you are listening to "X". You then flip back and forth between A, B and X to determine if X is A or B. You then make your choice and computer registers it. This continues for 15 to 20 choices or so (most did 10-15). To "pass", you need to get 95%, or 19/20.

One thing that struck me after looking through my pics was that I didn't have any of the new stuff. Oh well, maybe next time! My heart is with heritage, though.

Mace