Fiber Optic or Coaxial Cable for DVD?

Vital

You're going to get an equal number of opinions on either way, suggesting there is no one that is better than another - just personal preference and what is important to you. Electrical connection is less likely to break and may give a more reliable connection. Optical connection is, well, not sure what's better about it except it doesn't conduct electricity which for those of us with a ground loop hum can be very important.

DD

If the connection on both types is good there will be no difference.

The connections of fiber could be less then that of the coax.

Fiber optic is better to separate the components electrical. Like dougdrake said to eliminate humm caused by ground loops.

My dvd-player is coax connected. My pc is fiber optic connected.

Both work fine.

Keep in mind this is DIGITAL DATA. That means there is little or no effect of noise.

Somewere in history someone decided that optical cable was cool and started that. Considering the low data rates, there is little technical need to go to an optical link. Coax is perfectly able to do the job. Don't confuse the simple digital optical links used in DVD and Home Theatre with the optical fiber systems used in the Internet. They are very different technology implementations.

For a bit more information see:

http://www.timefordvd.com/hardware/DVDBuyingGuide.shtml#AudioOuputs

----------------

On 6/9/2003 10:37:10 AM efzauner wrote:

Both work fine.

Keep in mind this is DIGITAL DATA. That means there is little or no effect of noise.

----------------

The data is digital, but isn't a digital coax cable still susceptible to EMI though? To me it seems logical that it is, therefore I'd prefer to go optical...just to in case.

On a similar note, does anyone think there would be a difference between using your run of the mill optical cable and a more expensive glass optical cable?

"Don't confuse the simple digital optical links used in DVD and Home Theatre with the optical fiber systems used in the Internet. They are very different technology implementations. "

Very true. And even at that, it is very common to deliver bandwidth in excess of 50mbps over copper for short distances, as in VDSL applications. And that is far beyond the requirements for a DVD player!

DD

LOL

You are really funny.

Do you all really think I have a fiber link to have access to the internet.

I have cable --> coax cable.

I mean that my pc is connected to my pioneer with a 10m fiber link for the sound.

My motherboard has an optical out (ABIT BE-7RAID)

"Don't confuse the simple digital optical links used in DVD and Home Theatre with the optical fiber systems used in the Internet. They are very different technology implementations. "

Indeed they are!!!

Im in the DSL business -> Alcatel!!!

ADSL or VDSL are solutions to use the mass copper under the ground for broadband access. All those ADSL and VDSL connection are multiplexed on to a fiber link.

Over a few years you will get the fiber directly to the home. What do you think of a 155Mbps link!!

To go back to the topic.

There are for both pros an cons. It depends all on the quality of the connections itself for fiber and shielding for coax and how they are used.

Just listen and decide for yourself.

I had optical running to my CD player, and I guess I bent it the day I was hooking up my xbox. I don't even remember bumping it, but now I have a $40 piece of worthless plastic. Go Coax. It's a no-brainer. It's cheaper and sounds exactly the same.

"What do you think of a 155Mbps link!!" OC-3. Yawn 2.gif. How about 0C-192? Seriously, though, will be interesting to see what happens with FTTH (Fiber To The Home). Costs of provisioning into established areas, newer technologies that may obsolete/negate benefits of it by the time it gets deployed, etc... It's a future full of unknowns, that's for sure! Who knows?

Doug

Vital

I use COAX whenever possible over TOSLINK. TOSLINK is the protocol used for audio optical cable.

As for a show of hands who has ever ran into a ground hum problem on there COAX connection...... Probably more people have seen the LocNess monster firsthand or struck by lightning and lived. It happens but so rarely that I would not worry about it.

I investigated this a few years back when I noticed an audio delay on a few DVDs running TOSLINK and learned that the TOSLINK protocol has way too many loosey goosey specifications in it. Since each manufacturer writes there own TOSLINK coder/decoder, there interpetation of the protocol can create these timing errors.

The only time I would use TOSLINK would be if I had the some manufacturers equipment on both sides of the cable period. Since I am a component freak and buy best of breed, this is not an option.

COAX does a lot cleaner job of transfering the source digital signal to the digital audio converter IMO.

JM

Great, these were the answers I was looking for. I'll go with Coax and see how it is. I've been using the little cheap hookups that came with my DVD player. I'll get the new speaker wire and coax Wednesday.

----------------

On a similar note, does anyone think there would be a difference between using your run of the mill optical cable and a more expensive glass optical cable?

----------------

I'll step up and answer this.

The cheap f.o. cables are blade-cut. This leaves some seriously ragged edges, which create refraction errors in the optical transfer - massive increase in jitter.

The ultra-cheap plastic versions have a tendency to absorb light along the way (believe it or not) and dramatically increase both jitter and sideband distortion.

Of course, a cheapo coaxial cable (read: garden-variety audio cable) will do that and worse.

Digital transfers are even more suseptible to transfer issues than analog - don't think you can get away with cheap cabling.

----------------

On 6/9/2003 10:37:10 AM efzauner wrote:

Both work fine.

Somewere in history someone decided that optical cable was cool and started that. Considering the low data rates, there is little technical need to go to an optical link. Coax is perfectly able to do the job. Don't confuse the simple digital optical links used in DVD and Home Theatre with the optical fiber systems used in the Internet. They are very different technology implementations.

For a bit more information see:

----------------

Actually, Optical and Coaxial digital audio is just another example of Beta vs. VHS...

If you look at their trade names, it suddenly becomes clear...

S/PDIF (digital coaxial) - Sony / Phillips Digital InterFace.

Toslink (Dolby digital optical) - Toshiba link.

Please note that Toslink is only the proprietary Dolby Digital optical transfer. There are many other proprietary formats for lightpipe transfer - but they're pretty much pro audio recording formats.

Why else do you think all Sony receivers are set up by default to accept digital coax from the DVD player? 2.gif

Something else to include in the vote for coax. It is a direct path to the receiver, where as the optical signal has to be converted to light, travel over a very delicate glass tube, then be converted back to an digital signal.

I use Coax for my DVD, but my TiVo has optical only, so I am using both, with no problems.

Oh, I forgot to mention I saw the Loch Ness monster in my pool last night!

In my case, my ground loop does not ORIGINATE from a coax connection 'tween my DVD and receiver. It originates somewhere else in the video system (TV or VCR - don't have cable) and using fiber permits me to isolate my audio system from my video system, so the ground loop has no effect.

I would imagine, actually, that several people have encountered group loop hums stemming from their video system somewhere, but maybe it just happens in the Bermuda Triangle which is my HT room :)

Doug