Thoughts on the 2003 Stanley Cup Playoffs

sj993

Hello all,

I'd just like to hear your thoughts on this year's Stanley Cup Playoffs (for those that follow hockey) and in particular the final series with Anaheim and New Jersey.

I personally had expected more from Game 7 but I had a feeling N.J. would win in the end and they did. The awards ceremony and presentation of the Cup was good however it was marred when J.S. Giguere was awarded the Conn Smythe for Playoff MVP and then was consequently booed for it. To me that is just a total lack of respect for his accomplishment. That is no easy task especially for a goaltender. I have now formed a new opinion regarding the NJ fans in that regard.

Overall though I think the entire playoff year was one of the better one's of late. More excitement than in years past. I personally would have liked to see a Vancouver/Ottawa final but maybe next year.

Congrats to NJ.

Your thoughts?1.gif

----------------

On 6/9/2003 10:31:52 PM sj993 wrote:

The awards ceremony and presentation of the Cup was good however it was marred when J.S. Giguere was awarded the Conn Smythe for Playoff MVP and then was consequently booed for it. To me that is just a total lack of respect for his accomplishment. That is no easy task especially for a goaltender. I have now formed a new opinion regarding the NJ fans in that regard.

----------------

This is a new opinion? As a lifetime DC/Baltimore sports fan I grew up with that opinion. Good series/uneventful game 7. I never root for NY/NJ teams as a rule, no offense to any NY/NJ forum members. I was born in Long Island and have spent a lot of time there. Most of the people are great but for some reason when they attend sporting events.... Enough said. Congrats to the Devils. They earned it this year.

Good Morning:

The positives:

* no brawls, good end to end skating - if I want numerous fights, I'll watch boxing.

* Brian Gionta #14 on Devils from same area

The Negatives:

* The camera continuing to show J. S. Gigure in tears. May we have some privacy please?

* Booing Gigure - whether you agree or disagree, his team lost, he pulled them through many games. Yes, we have a right to free speech, on the night of losing, please refrain, write a letter to the Editor - I rank that up with asking a family member "how do you feel...." after another member has died/been killed.

These are my opinions, but I did like the Goaltender duel and no brawl hockey.

Congrats to N,L., the Ducks did more than could be expected.

Win

The Ducks had the Devils running around like bantams playing against a peewee team. The talent, team play and individual efforts of the Ducks was nice to see. they beat some more talented and experienced teams to get the finals, not to mention the authority they did it with.

The series was fantastic, exciting and a feather in the leagues cap. It was refreshing to see the limited Gooniness and the back to the basics hockey; forechecking - back checking - head manning the puck and looking for the open guy.

bad points;

Fan arrogance.

As a life time hockey fan and player I was always told and taught that when the final horn sounds it is time to celebrate. Celebrate the accomplishments of the teams and individuals. It is most unfortunate that fans arrogance is such that they are not able to seperate accomplishments and effort from the color of the jersey. Every player out there played with heart and fortitude.

Jersey Fans: The Conn Smythe Trophy is an annual award given to the most valuable player for his team in the playoffs. That fits Gigueres contribution to a tee.

In my eyes Giguere deserved it. he also deserved a standing ovation......

I can not wait until September (pre-season). Now its time to get to know the other 2 people living in the house.....

Most boring lame stanley cup I have seen. I only watched game 7 in its entirety and I almost fell asleep. Just one word explains it about both these teams and that is the Neutral Zone Trap and both can't play without it. New Jersey and Anaheim are the most boring teams in the NHL. Hockey at present is much too defensive. Too bad Detroit and Toronto didint play eachother in the cup that would have been a great stanley cup finals. I dont know if you were refering to Detroit or not but Anaheim did not beat detroit with authority. Detroit dominated Anaheim everygame but didint get any breaks. Puck just didint bounce in detroits favor. Anyway just my .02 cents.

joe

I'm just glad the team that won comes from a place where one can actually play hockey outside, the way it should be. The thought of SunBelt hockey fans who've never been on skates and never shoveled the snow off the pond and warmed themselves between games around a fire barrel is disgusting.

To people in Anaheim hockey must be like Roller Derby, just something you watch, not something you do or did as a child.

Yeah Tom, hockey in SoCal seems ........ uhhhhhh ........superficial, eh?

Of course, at least their team can play hockey, unlike my local so-called NHL team (Blackhawks), and their so-called owner (Dollar Bill Wirtz). It's been so long since they've really done anything - they are "on the clock" as the team with the longest current consecutive streak of ineptitude.......42 years since they last won the cup (1961). Given that they are one of the "original six", that's bordering on "criminal".

Would some rich as hello hockey fan buy my team and make 'em a winner again????

• 2 weeks later...

It sucked...REALLY SUCKED 7.gif

2 teams playing the "trap" against each other..WOW, how enjoyable to watch...honest...a

friggin joke...the NHL is NOT the NHL anymore.

I watched game 7(couldn't bare the rest), but do love the oversize of the Goalies equipment, how times have changed since the ole days and you had to "honestly" work for a living.

True Hockey My A** 10.gif

IMHO EH 9.gif