Saw a sad, sad sight at Best Buy today...

kenratboy

I will keep it short. Some guy was coming out of the store with the $400 Sony all in one HT systems, nothing wrong with that...except he had over $200 in Monster Cable on top of the box that he bought with it. Poor guy, I have a 'slight' feeling that just maybe he was sold that stuff. One of my buddies (not friend) works at Best Buy and his manager encourages him to move as much Monster Cable as possible, as the markup is HUGE.

I wish everyone could know a little about audio - or just use their heads. 14.gif

erk, I hate BB. they are tricksters who will try to sell you everything on the floor claiming you can't live without it. one of the things on my summer goal sheet actually is to go over there and talk 10 people out of bose sales. than I will feel like I helped the world of audio just a little.

Hmm....

Well, $200 in Monster Cable is ok... as long as you are using GOOD speakers and components on each end of the cables.

I use MC XP in my HT and it is better than standard wire... but I don't think it worth what it costs.

It could have been worse- imagine a guy leaving with Bose. 14.gif

----------------

On 6/10/2003 10:04:57 PM trespasser_guy wrote:

Hmm....

Well, $200 in Monster Cable is ok... as long as you are using GOOD speakers and components on each end of the cables.

I use MC XP in my HT and it is better than standard wire... but I don't think it worth what it costs.

It could have been worse- imagine a guy leaving with Bose.
14.gif
----------------

Oh no, the point was getting $200 in cable with a $400 system is the problem, not the cable itself (though it is overpriced as it is 2.gif )

Ya, I caught the true problem... just thought I'd hammer MC first. 2.gif

My friend bought an HTiB despite my advice to get separates... and what does he do? Immediately begin buying speakers to replace the crappy little Kenwood sats. HTiB just doesn't pay.

----------------

On 6/10/2003 10:50:37 PM prodj101 wrote:

I have heard of using 5% of the system budget for cable...but not 33%! lol
----------------

But even at that, the speakers are SOOO horrible to start with, there could be absolutly NO benefit. I mean, if you had some RF-7's and spent $1,000 on cables, it would still be a waste, but at least you still had decent speakers!!!

Well I'll tell ya what, then...

I'll come clean.

I once sold a guy a Sony HTIB (craptacular - his choice, not mine) - for $300 - and sold the guy $300 worth of Monster hookups along with it. He already had a DVD player and a DD DirecTV receiver - it wasn't hard.

$45 digital coax (interlink 100 2m)

$80 optical (interlink 200 2m)

$60 speaker wire (XP 100ft)

$60 sub cable (monsterbass 400 12ft)

$50 rca cables (interlink 400 2m)

Did I feel guilty? You bet. I walked him up to the counter knowing, however, that when he finally came to his senses and realized that the HTIB he bought was a piece of **** (which I gently tried to explain to him) he'd have some killer cables to hook up the real **** he'd buy later. 9.gif

lol, griff you make me sick. j/k, but seriously, I am planning to do some sabotaging of best buy and audioking sales this summer! damn that sounds nerdy and audio obsessive. but I feel if I can stop one bose sale, I am stopping 10 because they will spread word! 9.gif

----------------

On 6/11/2003 12:39:44 AM Griffinator wrote:

Well I'll tell ya what, then...

I'll come clean.

I once sold a guy a Sony HTIB (craptacular - his choice, not mine) - for $300 - and sold the guy $300 worth of Monster hookups along with it. He already had a DVD player and a DD DirecTV receiver - it wasn't hard.

$45 digital coax (interlink 100 2m)

$80 optical (interlink 200 2m)

$60 speaker wire (XP 100ft)

$60 sub cable (monsterbass 400 12ft)

$50 rca cables (interlink 400 2m)

Did I feel guilty? You bet. I walked him up to the counter knowing, however, that when he finally came to his senses and realized that the HTIB he bought was a piece of **** (which I gently tried to explain to him) he'd have some killer cables to hook up the real **** he'd buy later.
9.gif
----------------

There is a not-so-fine line between a audio enthusiast and a salesman. You can't let your job suffer because of your hobby, so you did the right thing.

I got in trouble at work the other day for bagging on Bose. Some guys came in, one had a Bose setup and was trying to convince his friend that they are the BEST speakers made. I told him they are the best at one thing, marketing. Some how Bose has everyone convinced that their crappy speakers are the best things made. I let him listen to the Klipsch and Athenas, which both blow the Bose out of the water, and he said they sounded bad. I don't know what the hell he was listening too.

Too bad we don't get a good price on Klipsch speakers, other wise I would have a set.

This is partially the consumer's fault:

1: We are a society driven by price: we want the best deal on a product, but ignore the total real cost. We will see a flyer offering a $500 system for $50 bucks cheaper than another store, but then end up paying $200 for overpriced cable. So stores end up making very little profit on cheap electronics, and therefore have to make it up on accessories.

2: Lack of education: Do your homework first. You would be surprised how much time people will spend looking thru flyers to save 20 cents on a can of beans, but do no research when spending $1000 electronics. This bugs me when it comes to safety items like car seats. Consumer Reports has free access to car seat reviews, but you would be surprised how few of our friend actally took the time to look it up. They based made decisions based on wich car seat had a nicer juice cup holder...

"There is a not-so-fine line between a audio enthusiast and a salesman. You can't let your job suffer because of your hobby, so you did the right thing."

This was my biggest complaint about the audio biz....sell 'em what you have, not what they need! There is no way in hello I would sell a customer $200 worth of MC for that system. I realize the store wants accessories sold, but accessories commensurate to the system sold might be in order here.

It's just like extended warranties. Now I can understand selling a customer a $300 warranty on a $3000 rear projection.......but nothing pi$$ed me off more than sales managers chewing my rear end over failing to sell warranty on a $100 disposable item.

These issues are THE reason I am no longer in the business - where is the integrity here?? I am better off coming here for advice, and better off buying gear here too, even used from forum members - instead of going to retail outlets where the sharks feed.

If your sales manager wants to know how he can increase his/her volume and profit, try a little integrity - it goes a long way. It's this kind of stuff that leads me to believe that "American Business Ethics" is an extinct species.

Retail chains know that people will shop around for the electronic appliance but rarely do so for the accessories. This doesn't only apply to audio equipment, but to many retail products. They cut their margins on the main products, but increase them astronomically on the little things...

For example Future Shop (Canadian Best-Buy) charges 3 times as much for a Cat5 Patch cable than the little computer store across the street... and even more on the USB cable... then they price a printer at 5$ less so people will flock there. Unfortunately works every time.

----------------

On 6/11/2003 5:58:11 AM dndphishin wrote:

...These issues are THE reason I am no longer in the business - where is the integrity here??....

----------------

dndphishin,

You are a Class Act!

One shouldn't throw away a dollars worth of integrity, to get a dimes worth of cash.

Overall, people just want cheap crap. They buy the $150 KLH systems with reciever/dvd/speakers all day long. They are too stupid/impatient to wait for another paycheck and get something decent. The $285 sony systems are hard to keep in stock, while I've only sold one set of klipsch speakers in the 3 weeks I've been working at bestbuy (a quintet set). I did have a lady last night that was going to buy a complete klipsch setup, yamaha reciever, and Sony Plasma TV, about $8k worth of stuff, but she had to go get her husband.

People either want crap or bose. I don't get it. They will spend $1300 on Bose crap boxes in a second, but won't even listen to anything else. I keep having people tell me they have never even heard of klipsch speakers.