ALK crossovers!!!!!

Shock-Late

Al, having laScalas with the AA network and K55V midrange, I'd like to build myself a set of ALK cross-overs. BUT as I'm student, and i have not much money, i first need to know what's the cost of the parts; I already downloaded all the shematics and partlist from your website.How much would cost a pair of crossovers if i build them myself??

Also, as i'm in Belgium, i'm not sure about the availability of the brands you use, be it solen, hovland and even less for the tranformer wich seem to be very specific. Maybe I'll have to pick up those from my Klipsch crossovers...but I wouldn't like to do it, since:

1: they're old

2: I'd like to keep the standard cross-over intact.

Do you know some other components makers that could offer me the same quality as the one you mention???

Also, what would happen to the sound if i used cheaper components? still better than the standard AA???

And, last but not least, are the components glued to the baseboard? wich glue should I use??? and also wich wire???

Many thanks Al, I'm sure it's not the first time you answer to those question... wink.gif

Frans

Frans,

First off, I really don't think you will want to cut corners on the

parts you use to build them. Several people who have done that have been

less than happy. Good parts are not cheap. You can get away without the

Hovland MusiCaps though. These are quite expensive. There have been several

suggestions posted on the board for places to get less expensive

polypropylene caps. Remember, anything worth doing is worth doing right!

The wire is definitey one place you can save money. Just go to the

local automotive parts supply store and get a roll of #14 stranded

automotive wire. That will do fine for wiring. (Don't tell anybody, but

that's where I get mine! biggrin.gif)

I glue the caps that have flexible leads down to the board (the

Hovlands and Harmony bypass caps) using clear silicone glue, but almost any

glue that does not desolve the capacitor covering will do. The idea is just

to keep them from vibrating against the board with the low notes making

funny noises that make you think your squawker driver is comming apart at

the seams!

Al K.

Shock,

If you are interested in the ALK crossover, I suggest (as one who built one myself, from "cheaper" parts) that you buy one direct from Al. (You can send the kickback through the usual channels, Al)

He doesn't charge much for doing it above the parts cost, and there is some value in the expertise he brings to the build.

Plus, then you have a genuine Al crossover, and not some knock off thing worth nothing to anyone except as piece parts.

Huh...yep but the great thing with buiding them myself is that I can buy the caps one week, then the month after the tranformers, ...it could take a while to build them but at least i'm OK with my budget wich is very tight. If I had the money i would buy a set built by Al...

regards,

Frans

Hello, After reading these post about cross-overs for La Scalas's and caps or something I'm under the impression that I can get better sounding speakers by buying a rebuild kit. What exactly is the difference? will I notice it more in the HT field, music field or both? I use 2 for Centers and 2 for Mains. I am very much interested in this topic. I own four La Scalas with Type AL-3 cross-overs, 2 are 1990 and the other 2 are 1998 if this means any thing.

quote:

Originally posted by sunnysal:

I agree with my other klipsch friends, save and buy the finished unit from Al, unless you really, really will ENJOY the process of making them yourself...Al knows how to put these together...regards, Tony

In fact i would enjoy using something made by myself; and crossovers seem to be the easiest way to do that, as I'm not a woodworker and I don't have either the know-how to buid, for example, a tube-amp kit. I suspect that with crossovers, as long as you've got the right components and the right sheme, you don't have to do as much measurements. You put them together just following the plans and, as long as you're Ok with using a solder-iron, it doesn't require much more know-how, or does it???

Also, i don't know how much it would COST me to ship those crossovers from US to Belgium, but I suspect it isn't cheap, alas..

Regards,

frans

Well then take the time to get the quality parts that Al uses -- I got parts that amounted to under $100 for both crossovers, using the T2A from my existing crossovers.

Follow Al's layout as closely as possible. Use good wire. Take your time. Be prepared for some frustration and incomprehension. Take your time.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also interested in Al Xover's. My deal is that I have a mismatch set of La Scala's different drivers as well as different xover's. My question is should I match up the drivers before the xover's or the xover's first. If the xover's are to be replaced first will there be any benafit match the drivers?

Thanks for the info, I have checking ebay for replacement drivers for several weeks now not luck yet. If anyone on this BB has an extra K-55-V or -M for sale please let me know. Al you have xover schematic and parts list posted somewhere? Please enlighten me.

Thanks Dave

frans, two points:

1. I would guess it would be around $75 to belgium (it was less than that to El Salvador where I live).

2. do not build it unless to stick to the quality parts specified by AlK

save your money until you get to the build right or buy from AlK level, you will be glad you did! meanwhile tone controls work wonders...regards and good luck, tony

Sorry Frans for jumping in on your thread, but thanks for all the info from the folks on this BB. Al I think that I may be able to handle the project of building these. I assume you have to wind your own coils, this will probably be the hardest part. Is there any special test equipment required?

Thanks Dave