Need to Ship Cornwalls?

joshnich

I am now in possession of a crate that was built to ship cornwalls. David Herkert so kindly offered the services of the crate that had been used most recently by dndphishin. The seller of my speakers drove them to Tulsa ( where dndphishin had the crate) and packed them into the crate and had them shipped to me in San Francisco. They arrive on Friday. It would be ideal if I could have the crate turned right around to someone who needs it. This is obviously contingent on David approving it. Which shouldnt be a problem as he envisions the crate serving members of the forum in order to preserve cornwalls as they are moved around the country! Please respond to my email asap if you are in need of a way to worry free ship your speaks! BTW using this crate allows you to very reasonably ship cornwalls anywhere in the country my cost from Tulsa to SF was only 90 bucks! I can also give you the name of the shipping company and the procedure in a return email.

joshnich

joshnich@mac.com

The "crate" is mine, and I prefer it be called "The Klipsch Forum Cornwall Vault". We need to keep track of it, and whoever has it inherits the responsibility of taking care of it until it's needed next. The "vault" cost me over $350 -- so take good care of it.

I appreciate the post telling everyone who has it and where it is! Thanks.

Dean,

I may be the next caretaker of the Vault, as I've a pair of Cornwalls to sell. I have e-mailed Josh. Do you have the dimensions and weight handy? I know I've seen a picture of it here on the forum, I'll try a search with your name. The only problem I see with using it, is keeping track of it, if the sale is to a non-BB member who has no interest in maintaining or housing it. I guess it could be shipped to the next interested party(I wonder what the cost would be to ship it empty?), although there doesn't seem to be a lot of response here from BB members. Your thoughts?

fini

Fini:

I was the BB-member who passed the Cornwall Vault to Josh. I received it from David. The empty weight of the vault is approx. 100lbs. Empty-weight shipping cost via Forward Air was quoted at $30.00 from Tulsa, OK to Chicago, IL. When laying in the shipping position the Vault's dimensions are approximately (2'-8"H x 3-2"W x 3-8"L). These dimensions do not included the height of the wooden pallet (so add approx. 5" to the height). The pallet which is secured to the bottom of the vault, and is needed to facilitate forklift loading and unloading by the shipping company.

Dean: Thank you so very, very much for having the Cornwall Vault constructed. The construction of the vault is first class and it has served me well. I hope that future users of the vault will continue to keep us BB-members "Klipsch'ters" informed of it's whereabouts.

Josh, enjoy your Cornwalls.

I sure can't take credit for building it. The builder is Ken Krandazzo, who sold me his '74 Cornwalls which Dave now has.

Now Fini, the rule is simple: Ya just can't sell yer Cornwalls to 'anyone'. :) Hey, if they go to someone who isn't going to get on board with this -- they owe me $350!!

OK, Anyone here interested in my BR 1979 Cornwalls? I'd like to get out of them what I've put into them: paid $650, had tweeters re-aligned, magnet-wise, and re-diaphragmed (sp??) by the renowned firm of A Brown Soun in San Rafael, CA (look 'em up...pretty impressive). I'll call that $200 (actually more), so a total of $850 plus shipping? I can send photos (internal, external) to anyone who may be interested. E-mail fini@sonic.net. They sound fabulous, cabinets have a decent coat of poly on 'em. No risers. Previous owner added gold-plated binding posts (additional to the stock ones).

fini

I've agreed to take charge of this again if Josh cannot find a user for the crate in a few weeks. This way Josh doesn't need to hold this too long, and it will be in safe hands.

It would seem more efficient if someone here on the forum could use it though, instead of shipping it to me, then me shipping it to the next user. Given the frequency of Cornwall sales here between forum members, I figure it won't be long until the crate is needed again.

And if someone wants Fini's Cornwalls, I can assure you there is no better way to ship them than with this crate - the only catch is that you need to pick them up at a Forward Air terminal. Forward Air is cheap, reliable shipping!!!

(Note the screenname change.......)

How is the top secured to the crate? I don't see any holes, or hardware.

Based on the dimensions (thanks, Gilbert), I'd guess the Cornwalls fit face-to-face (or back-to-back, or face-to-back)? Is there cushioning between the Cornwalls? Are they hard to remove from the crate, being "packed tight" in there? Seems with a speaker as heavy as a Cornwall, which has no feature resembling a hand-hold, this might be difficult. Agreed, it's a well-crafted box. Worst-case scenario, the last recipient of the vault pays Dean $350, and has a new plenum for his central heating/ AC system! It's a wind/win situation.

fini

Dave:

The screws have a 5/16 inch head. A very very common size for selfdrilling sheet metal screws. However,a 8mm also works.

By the way, if it was'nt for that 8mm socket taped to the Vault, Rick (Josh's shipper) and I would have been screwed (get it!) when preparing to ship Josh's Cornwall's. Thanks for doing that.

Gil, I found out very quickly that it was best to keep the bit with the crate. This allowed us to show up at FA with your Cornwalls wrapped in visqueen and a cordless drill, then unload mine and load yours into the crate to swap pairs. It worked out very well that I could pick up and ship out in one trip, all at the Forward Air terminal...in effect, "a perfect trade". With all of this practice, I'm starting to feel like a subsidiary of Forward Air. We should get a Klipsch Forum group discount - as if they aren't cheap enough already!

I didnt see the socket attached to the vault. Where was (is) it attached? Ill look again when I get home. If its gone I will attach another. It would be a good idea to keep one with the vault.

I can attest to everyone that this is the absolute best way to send cornwalls Thank you Dean.

Fini ,

Let me know when someone buys your cornwalls and we can arrange a vault hand off.

Josh