Found my cup of tea! I think!

Daddy Dee

Well, friends... I have been doing some listening to amps and here's what sounds good to my ears: Of course the 299b is solid and good sound. For several days I listened to a Cary Rocket 88 power amp that is switchable on the fly between triode and pentode UL power. 20 wpc or 40 wpc. Cool amp. Bullet proof build and sounds great. Now during this time I was waiting on a pair of 2A3 Paramours from a member of this forum. During the week I'd told my buddy, "I can't imagine tubes sounding any better than this Cary amp." Yep, I said that, but you can call me Gomer because when I heard the SET monoblocks, gaaaaaahh lleeeee! That magical sound! Wow. yeh.

Feedback from this forum has been helpful in looking and listening to different tube options. For example, I'd considered sending off an ST-70 for a rebuild and after reading the posts in response to my question regarding rebuild options, I realized that course, while it's a can't go wrong kind of option, just would not likely have accomplished what I was looking out for and listening for. I'm learning as I go and it's fun, too.

I'm going to listen for a few more days before putting the Rocket 88 up for sale. I will offer it to the forum before going to Audiogon or Ebay just in case anyone here might want it. It will be a good deal, too. Picked it up, mint condition, from a motivated seller. If you'd be interested in reading about it, check out the website at caryaudio.com. They've got specs and reviews. In my experience, I found the reviews to be born out in what I heard in the amp in person. So, Cary does some impressive stuff. It's a fine piece of audio equipment, just have this WAF thing and need to stay riding the crest of the wave. It has been a pleasant surprise to see her enjoyment of music now with tubes. Just one of those cool bonding things.

Regards,

Dee

p.s. I've got another buddy I'm hoping to have bring by his Welborne 300b's. hint hint2.gif

DaddyDee,

When did you receieve these amps ?? I highly suggest you spend a week with them listening to all genders of music that you like and then roll in the Cary or the Scott 299B. I think your jumping the gun and over whelmed with the mid range of SET there is a bigger picture. You may end up keeping your same preference but never make such fleeting statements with such little time with any audio component change I have found it takes weeks to really get used to the sound then you change and the differences slaps you in the face. Like I said you may end up prefering the SET sound many people do but its to soon in the game for you to decide just yet you have only had them a day I believe.

Craig

Dee,

You need to put together a compilation of music that emphasises what sounds good to you, i.e. bass, piano, vocals so on. Take one amp, for the course of a few weeks listen to that music, familiarize yourself with what your hearing to the point, that its in your memory.

Change out the amp, repeat the process. Then you can make valid decisions about what you like & don't like about each amp. What you can & can't live with. In some cases the finer points of one amp may not be audibe to you untill you have listened to another & vice versa.

Its all fun!! ENJOY!

Tom

I'm thrilled you're happy with the Paramours!

DaddyDee,

I have to agree with you about the 2A3 sound - I think it's a keeper! --

I have Push-Pull, SETs, Hybrid, and SS amps. I used to have 300b Sets, but I got a pair of 2A3 moondogs and they are much better than the 300b's - The Push-Pull lags far behind, The SS is rock bottom last.

- But the AVA Hybrid Tube does things that the 2A3 can't - 250 watts of tube sound, Dynamics and Punch - The 2A3 moondogs also seems to have that SET imediacy and can do things that the hybrid can't - So I can't decide yet which I like better the 2A3 SET or the PowerHouse Hybrid - I may never decide - I'm keeping them both!

Then someday I may enter the 45 World...... Or the 10..........Or?

"I have to agree with you about the 2A3 sound - I think it's a keeper! -- I have Push-Pull, SETs, Hybrid, and SS amps. I used to have 300b Sets, but I got a pair of 2A3 moondogs and they are much better than the 300b's - The Push-Pull lags far behind, The SS is rock bottom last. - But the AVA Hybrid Tube does things that the 2A3 can't - 250 watts of tube sound, Dynamics and Punch..."

These are just generalizations and the sweeping statements don't stand up. It makes sense that the Moondogs sound better than the Billies, mostly because of the great Electraprint transformers and no holds bar design. A more fair comparison would be the Moondogs to the Laurels -- which many actually prefer over The Doggies. It's not just the tube type alone that determines the outcome.

I'm wondering what push-pulls you have -- a good one shouldn't "lag far behind". Good push-pulls ride right up the back bumpers of good SET amps in sound -- and then have the passing gear.

As time goes on, I get more to the point of realizing what a bunch of hair splitting there is here. Good stuff sounds good -- and it doesn't matter much what the hell it is.

Dean says:

"What the world needs is a good 500 watt Pentode amp"

Dean,

How many 2a3's do you think it would take to build a 500 watt amp in PP configuration, about 200, maybe?2.gif Now theres an idea!!3.gif

Tom

P.S. I know its a Triode tube, but it does sound good.

LMAO at Dean....hehehehe.

I understand where he is coming from though. Once you get to a certain point with electronics the differences become much more fine, and it boils down to personal taste and use issues. Tweaking your system synergy and room to get the most from it will do much more than the finer differences in all of the discussed, well built components. It becomes easy to forget that this is entertainment - no matter how important this is to us, it is for FUN, right?

If there were only one way to achieve audio nirvana, we wouldn't have as much to fuss about here, either................of course, we could always have Reference vs. Heritage wars2.gif

NOZ-- You bet!

Tom-- That's a good suggestion for being more systematic in listening to discern the difference and still having fun.

Dean-- On the La Scala's triode is the slim favorite. I don't hear nearly the difference that the reviewers comment on. Tell you what, this Cary amp is a fine piece of equipment and compares very favorably to the 2A3. Clean clear sound. It is one of those can't go wrong propositions. Having the Rocket 88 head to head with the Paramours, is o.k. to choose one preferred over the other, but the the 2A3 world would say that there are better 2A3's to put up for comparison in a genre to genre shootout. It probably speaks very well of the Paramours' design and price point to stay in the ring with the Rocket 88. Still the Paramours have something that is magic. Listening to John Klemmer on sax and his light percussion and chimes, etc. Absolutely amazing.

Craig-- That issue is never going to be put to rest!

Cut-throat-- I've been thinking the same thing. It could be a plan to keep the 2A3's for the magic, and then having some power to fall back on when it's time to rock.

Thanks for the feedback and food for thought, guys. BTW, one of the things that is the most fun about this whole tube thing is this weekend, my wife got up from her sewing project and came in and sat down on the couch and is getting into the listening, too. Even wanting to be in the conversation about the subtleties of the sound. Is that cool or what? The WAF curve is looking good around here! 9.gif

Regards,

Dee

Flux,

exactly whatt is up your Butt ?? I was wondering who he was previous to the name change ?? I have no problem with his post would just like to know who it is I'm talking/reading to after they change there name !! jeeeezzzz

Craig

----------------

On 6/29/2003 2:48:18 PM Flux wrote:

What does it matter who he is you impertinent ill-nurtured scut.----------------

FluxIan,

I understand "impertinent", and I think I understand "ill-nurtured" (that's kind of like your mother did a poor job, right?) but "scut" is new word to me. Could you let me know what that is? I am given to understand the idea that he is ALOT worse than your ordinary, plain vanilla scut. But the sting of the invective is lost on those in a state of ignorant bliss.7.gif Are you sure you spelled "scut" right? 11.gif

Kindest regards,

Dee