Found my cup of tea! I think!

Daddy Dee

Craig,

You know very well that I think you are no worse than a plain vanilla scut. I am just still trying to figure out what a scut is.6.gif

Of course, you could take offense to that... and say something defensive, like, Hey, I'm no ordinary scut!

Dee

Scut is typically used as a reference to a short-tailed animal - such as a rabbit or a deer. Hmmm...a reference to an animals hind-quarters. This could be truly viewed as a derogatory remark. 6.gif

----------------

On 6/30/2003 4:57:32 PM Flux wrote:

Yes, you must all brush up on your Shakespear. I have no idea what a "scut" is -- but I gather it is not a good thing.

I think Audible Nector is Dave Heckert -- that beslubbering knotty-pated skainsmate!

I have no idea what that means either.
:)

----------------

Flux,

Thanks for the URL on the insults of Shakespear. They never had these included in the CliffNotes. My teachers told me I should have been reading the original materials! And now I know they were right!

Finally we have a better class of flamers on this forum. For one, I am going to quit ending my sentences in prepositions to help out things. Can you tell me where the spell check is at?

Kindest Regards,

Dee

O.K. Here's a report on some questions.

Dean is right on pentode! While I still prefer the 2a3 for the quiet jazz material, I hadn't listened to enough material to find out how the Rocket 88 could shine in pentode. Amazing! Put on Paul McCartney and Wings... the live Wings over America CD. Venus and Mars was breaking up on the 2A3, just as Sunny said it would with complex material. O.K. Change over to Rocket 88, sounds flat in triode, makes the La Scala's sing sing sing in Pentode. Man it was great.

Now I don't think I'll be able to sell the Rocket 88 after all.

Regards,

Dee

There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this stuff sometimes.

Remember what Craig said earlier (somewhere), and I'm in full agreement with him -- an amp like the Rocket, or any other amp with a "flip of the switch" triode/ultralinear feature -- was in fact dialed in with one mode or the other. What's interesting here is that Dennis Had is a tried and true triode freak. He would have most certainly set the Rocket up to shine in triode.

A "system" is just that -- several components strung together to convert electrical energy into mechanical motion. The energy is released into an environment which is as unique as a fingerprint -- the listening room. All things combined constitute "a system", and this system is as unique as the room they're sitting in. Then of course the ears, and the high probabilty that no two individuals hear exactly the same.

In other words -- results and reactions are for the most part completely upredictable.

The Rocket in triode probably comes as close to SET as any push-pull can, and it's certainly nice to have the extra power for knocking the fuzz out of the ears.

Yep, It is interesting. I'd read one reviewer who had said they could listen to the Rocket 88 in triode 20 wpc louder than in pentode at 40 wpc. I didn't find that the case with this particular material at all. As there has been alot in the posts over this weekend, the subjective opinion and preference is always a factor.

Wish you were here to hear this amp rock the La Scalas with McCartney and Wings. I don't think I've ever heard any better sound rockin.

On the flip of a switch change, that does make sense that one mode or the other would have to be compromised to make it work.

This is indeed strange if the designer was a Triode freak you would think he would of dialed the amp for triode mode. I have another nice little tidbit right now I have 2 sets of Mark III's on hand both rebuilt Identical to one another except one pair is strapped in triode. Playing the same music I can still achieve 50 watts peaks with the triode mode amp !! It should only be about 30 watts strange huh. Does Triode operation only limit the steady state ratings and still allow higher peak wattages ? Maybe Mark can answer this one ! Later I'm going to do power tests on both and see what the difference truly is wattage wise. Out of the 2 sets I prefer the Triode sound even before tweaking the Negative feedback loop which is a must but by the same token I haven't tweaked the Ultra linear set either no spare time to play 7.gif I just hope my customer will be patient enough to let me finish my testing between the 2 sets.

Craig