How Long Have Been a Junkie

I have been an audio junkie all of my life no doubt about it. I started in 2 channel and soon added speakers around my room as a teenager. I spent a couple of years saving up and soon bought a full blown Quad system in 1975. At that time I spent about 3k and was hooked. Over the years the system was upgraded changed you name it. Then along came Dolby surround for the home. At this time I had all separates and was back in the 2 channel mode. I met a guy who worked for this little company called Surround Sound Inc. They had this magic little box called the SS1. It was basically a Dolby decoder with a 50 watt center amp and 30 watt mono amp for the rear channel with the various inputs and outputs in this little box with a meter on the front and a couple of knobs. I got hooked, and this was back in 1988. Since then I have gone thru more upgrades and what nots.

Nothing better then slipping in a fine DVD and relaxing to the sights and sounds of my HT. I have a pack with my family that I get 2 hours every weekend to just sit back and listen to music at any volume I choose without being interupted. Latest music I have been enjoing is The Game DVD Audio disc by Queen and Fleetwood Mac's Save the Last dance on DVD Audio.

Many of you know that two years ago I embarked on building my own personal home theater/music room. I started with a room that was 22x20 w/ 12' ceiling. The room was gutted and re-done from top to bottom. Well once again it is changed some do to the completion of my custom center.

I employ an all Klipsch system (like almost all of us here)utilizing a pair of

La Scala's as the mains, a custom built all Klipsch driver center speaker with custom made crossover, Klipsch center used as my rear center channel speaker, two Klipsch WDST speakers per side for Left and Right side surrounds.

I finally have upgraded my HT web site. If you are interested in checking out my HT please go to my HT web page listed here.

http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

Thanks for stopping by!

ScooterDog

Good job Scooter. You have a beautiful looking setup there. I can tell you take pride in your work. Looks great and Im sure it sounds most excellent and your site is coming through nice and clear on my screen. Good Luck. I would have posted pictures of my gear but apparently the Hubble Space Telescope was on the fritz when mine were taken. 9.gif

----------------

On 7/13/2003 11:36:22 PM SCOOTERDOG wrote:

I have been an audio junkie all of my life no doubt about it.

-------------------

Me too. I can remember when Santa brought my first "record player". Listened to 33's 45's and even a few 78's. My folks said the Beatles and rock music were just a fad. "Turn it down" became the most often spoken words in my household, after "wait until your father gets home."

Took my high school graduation money and bought some kind of whole box system with a tuner, record changer and 8 TRACK TAPE PLAYER. It sounded amazingly good for what it was. Even had a chrome rack on the top, next to the turntable for 8 track tapes! It lasted a couple of years in the dorm. I'd lived a pretty sheltered life before that, but hearing the neighbors Advents, Kenwood or Pioneer receivers and higher end TT's got me hooked.

I've been friends with Advent, Kenwood, Hafler, Yamaha, Teac, Nakamichi, Mc, Denon, North American, Bose, Cambridge Soundworks, lots of

Always admired Klipsch, but never had made that switch, curiously, until this year. When people talked about La Scala's being revealing, boy is that ever true. In a way I didn't know what I was missing, and then I found out what my sources really sounded like. Thus the journey into tube land, but this sure has been alot of fun. And amazing, amazing. Who would have ever thought that in the third millenium, I'd think the best possible sounding setup, to my ears, uses horns whose design dates to the 1940's and tubes earlier than that. No doubt, the fine tuning of the technology is impressive in subsequent years, but that's what it is, fine tuning.

I've just ordered the PWK book and am looking forward to reading it.

Best regards to all on the forum. Found this place after learning about it from another forum member I'd run across on Ebay and corresponded with in my search for La Scala parts. Turns out he only lives 90 miles away. I've learned alot so far, and appreciate the advisement I've received in sorting out the real deal from the multitude of hype in the audio world.

Hello, my name is Dee and I'm an audio addict.

Double post. Man, is this system great or what? Stands in dramatic contrast to the quality of Klipsch. But I won't let it spoil my day. Life is just too short.12.gif

Since I'm editing this double post anyway, might as well add that one surprising, but pleasing element to this season is that my wife has gotten interested in listening, too. She used to just tolerate my music. Now as I've been auditioning different amp typologies, she comes in and sits down, comments on what she hears compared to another, etc. She even puts on her own CD's to listen while she is sewing or quilting, and such.

This is what I would call serendipity!16.gif

Dee

I became an addict in 1968 (or there abouts) when I listened to the Beatles 'Rubber Soul' on my little stand stereo. I knew it had to sound better and the search was on. Oh the shame to have to admit to this addiction...

So, who else hoards electronics in the storage recesses and tells the significant other you sold the stuff to cover that you really can't do this audio thing casually?

----------------

On 7/14/2003 8:24:29 AM hwatkins wrote:

So, who else hoards electronics in the storage recesses and tells the significant other you sold the stuff to cover that you really can't do this audio thing casually?

----------------

I think I'm about to do it. Last night I listened to Unbroken Chain from the Dead's "From The Mars Hotel" cd for the first time with the scott 299b and that is when I decided I will probably keep it even if I like the Mac better. I have listened to that song a thousand times in my life and have NEVER heard what I heard last night. At least a dozen instruments I'd never noticed before during the instrumental and the clarity. It was almost a religious experience.

I too have been a junkie since I was about 12. I took apart my little cassette player, unhooked the built-in speaker and wired up some small POS speakers in mono from my big sisters old stereo. It was a delicate operation but that's what started it all. The quest for bigger and better hasn't stopped since. There was a 10-15 yr period when I was happy with what I had (since I had cornwalls and small children at home) then the HT rage began. Then I found this forum and tubes began. Now here I am at work responding to a thread in the Klipsch forum when I should really be working.1.gif

Henry,

Thats funny. I too hoard my old audio equipment as well. I still have my Sansui 9090 quad amp in the garage (boat anchor), some old Techniques stuff, my first cd player I bought in 1984, and my old Akai GFX8 Cassette Deck. I think I'll dig some more this weekend. Who knows what I'll find!

Scooterdog16.gif

I became an audio adict oh, a little over a year ago. I got my PM5.1's and thought there was nothing better.............. until I heard something better. 3.gif hehe

I then got in the speaker circuit... built a couple headphone amps and was introduced to loud sound (bad thing now that I look back on it...) then bought my KG-2.5's. Have been liking them ever since... then upgraded headphone stuff- bought HD580 and built a newer, better amp. Sounds good, upgraded the cable for it. Now... I am working on tube amps... have tubes and no sockets! Believe me, that combo does not work. I am just itching to test, but can't do it. 8.gif)

Someone help me before I spend all my money! (actually don't... cause I won't be happy until I do spend it all 9.gif

----------------

On 7/14/2003 9:26:29 PM SCOOTERDOG wrote:

Henry,

Thats funny. I too hoard my old audio equipment as well. I still have my Sansui 9090 quad amp in the garage (boat anchor), some old Techniques stuff, my first cd player I bought in 1984, and my old Akai GFX8 Cassette Deck. I think I'll dig some more this weekend. Who knows what I'll find!

Scooterdog
16.gif

----------------

I still have my first ever cd player, a 1984 technics sl-p210. It hasn't worked in over 12 years but I can't throw it out for some reason. It's wasn't even a good unit when it worked. Once every 2 or 3 years I put in a cd just to see if its changed its mind.

I've been an addict since I was 9 years old (my dad gave me a used portable cassette recorder, thus being introduced to sound reproduction at an early age). I was a full-fledged junkie at 11 in '73; with money saved from my paper route, I bought a 10 WPC Precor Model 1018 AM/FM receiver with a top-loaded BSR fully automatic changer, with a matching pair of bookshelf speakers (which included a single 6" fullrange cone in each vinyl-clad cabinet). I needed to record my LP's onto cassettes in stereo (the portable just wouldn't do), so I bought a top-loading cassette recorder from RadioShack (can't recall the model). It had two groovey VU meters, a red record LED, Dolby Noise Reduction (pre-Dolby B), and a Normal and Chrome tape selector (wow)!

When I was 16, I upgraded to a sleek silver Technics SA-5170 25 WPC receiver (with a walnut cabinet), a Technics 616 2-LH head cassette deck with 3-way adjustable bias and equalization, a Technics SL-210 manual belt drive 'table with an audio-technica MM on its S-shaped tonearm, and a pair of cheap no-name Audiotec 2-way bookhelf speakers; their cheezie cone tweeters/woofers were all later replaced with RadioShack drivers (double wow)!

Then I joined the Army after high school and bought all sorts of gear from Technics, harman/kardon, dbx, JBL, Nakamichi, Carver, audio-technica, Stanton, and Koss...

And I haven't been able to kick the habit yet!

My first "system" was a Sears unit with the BSR turntable, reciever with built-in 8-track record deck, and 4 speakers. I had just started my first summer job and did not have the patience to save money and buy a better system. Had to have something right away. I sold it to my sister 6 months later for less than half of what I paid and upgraded to a small Pioneer system then added a cassette deck (Akai)

I've been a junkie all my life, i guess it started when i was about 8 (1988)or so. little did i know then that what my dad had was pretty descent.(it is all late 60 early 70 pioneer stuff)anyway i would crank it up when no one was home. No one in the house owned a tape deck or cd player. so i listened to the radio. I bought a cd player boombox shortly there after, then went through about 5 of those. i then took over the pioneer stuff and put it in my room, i was amazed. so i hooked a cd player up with a headphone output Y adapter to the pioneer unit. just picture a 10 year old jamming to AC/DC at extremely high levels. I was really hooked then. So i thought pioneer was the sh*t, they were the 6-way CS-630cx(i think). i have a pic, actually i would like to replace the super horn tweeter in them. i seem to have blown it while partying to hard in the garage.9.gif i have also owned some advent - jade?, newer pioneer version of the cs630's(they sucked) and several klipsch stuff.

The bug hit me in 79'when my friend was lookin' through the classified ads and saw the ad "stereo for sale $400" thats all. So I called on it, and there was a Sansui au217 amp and tu217 tuner with a pioneer Rg1 dynimic range expander and Sansui sr232 turntable and some off brand speakers with white 12" cones..all in mint condition. A couple weeks later I hounded my mom for a couple more bucks for the pioneer CT2525 cassette deck...toploader...after that it just got worse....open reels...eq's....then along came the Fortes in 85' then VHS HI-FI. A lot of the stuff I still have out in the polebarn just sittin' on a shelf

post-12600-13819248406614_thumb.jpg

It's my dad's fault, it really is.

I could have grown up like my friends and listened to music as a kid on cheap all in one solutions with tiny speakers belching forth the sound of cardboard.

Unfortunately for me however my dad had a pair of JBL 4311 studio monitors.

Those JBL's impressed me more and more as I heard the speakers most of my friends had.

The music that filled our house was always of a varied sort, from classical and jazz to rock and bluegrass, always played cleanly by those JBL's.

This of course put the bug in me at a young age to someday own my own stereo, something with which I could listen to my music whenever I wanted.

Fast forward a number of years,

Here I am sitting in an apartment with 2 working stereos and a growing collection of vinyl and cd's.

I have my own pair of smaller JBL's as well as a pair of Klipsch heresy's.

My dad still has more speakers than me but part of that is my own fault.2.gif

That audio junkie thing is no joke, time to spin some some music on the HiFi.

Peace, Josh

I remember my first system back in the early 70's, can't remember the brand but it was quadrafonic (spelling). It had a little joystick for the balance on the 4 speakers. Got into car audio in the late 70's when the Pioneer supertuner became a hot item, with Jenson triaxials.

Kinda quit for awhile untill I was in the Navy in the 80's. I had put together a system of 3 sets of Bose 901's with 3 Carver M1.5 amps pushing them, a Kenwood amp with Professional model LaScalas. Shore Patrol came to the barracks numerous times and threatened to confiscate all my equipment. It all got sold.

Got back into it again over the last several years. My hearing isn't as good as it once was. I just turn it up louder.

Back in 1970 when I got out of the Air Force I put a stereo system in my '67 Mustang, 8 track and six speakers. It sounded great! Started me on my quest for the Holy Grail. I only wanted a home system that sounded as good as my car.

I decided to be a broadcast engineer and went to the top rated school in Rhode Island, got my first class ticket and went to work at WEAN/WPJB in Providence and did some audio consulting on the side. About that time I read "THE ARTICLE" in Rolling Stone about a Man From Hope and La Scallas. I had to have some. I had saved up around $500 for new speakers and needed more. So I built a pair of Heresy clones and kept amassing my change.

Finally I had saved up $800 and the wife was willing to make up the difference from our house down payment fund.

Off we went, with a sampling of LPs to Weslesly, Mass to audition Klipsches. I had settled on LaScallas in birch or Cornwalls if the bride wanted a more finished look. We listened for about an hour and had just about settled on the Corn's, BUT!

I told the salesman " I just got to hear them".., "Put the ones in the corner on"

After hearing The Beatles "Hey Jude" and Van Morrison "Jackie Wilson Said" Both my wife and I agreed that the house came second...

The rest is history.........

Rick9.gif