looking for a good 2ch pre-amp

itsmyforte

I currently have an Adcom GTP-500II, i am satisfied with its performance. but something is wrong with the volume up/down in the unit. basically its reversed, down goes up, but up doesn't do anything. Its not the remote because i programmed another one to use with it and it did the same thing. I hate getting up to adjust volume. mainly i want something with a lil more performance as well. What i really want is an RL-11 to match my A200x3.

whats your suggestions?

"I prefer the real sounde of SS."

It's funny that you should say that, it's the sound of tubes live presence that got me hooked on audio again.

I've said this before, I'm sure there is SS stuff out there that can do the same, but at what cost.

Heres a SS that took second fiddle to tube, maybe this is more your likeing, http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?preatran&1063517619&class&3&4&

Tom

1.gif1.gif

well none!! haha! actually i just sold my klf-10's last weekend. I just bought a pair of Forte's but have not went and picked them up. I am waiting on the guy to meet me to pick them up. prolly saturday morning. but i do have ksb3.1's i can use, and 3 other pair of speakers as well.

----------------

On 7/17/2003 10:47:24 PM DeanG wrote:

I apologize, but you did say something with an increase in performance.
2.gif

----------------

well, at this time i am not ready to convert to tube amps/pre, and the like. I may never like tube equipment, but i know i like high end SS stuff and i would like a good SS pre to compliment my Acurus A200x3. I am not going to buy up some tube gear when i don't understand the technology. Maybe after i hear a good setup of tube gear i may make the switch. I am all about what sounds the best, I'll be the first one to say "damn, that sounds good" to someone when i hear it.

SirJayLord,

Since I'm not familiar with the preamp you are replacing, I don't know if I'd have anything of interest to you. But I do have three Hafler pre's that I have got sitting around waiting for a slack day to put out on Ebay.

The nicest is a Hafler 945 Tuner/Preamp w/remote. Motorized volume control. Sweet SS preamp and rack mountable. It's condition is mint.

Also have rack mountable 101 and 110.

Dee

----------------

On 7/18/2003 9:42:36 AM DaddyDee wrote:

SirJayLord,

Since I'm not familiar with the preamp you are replacing, I don't know if I'd have anything of interest to you. But I do have three Hafler pre's that I have got sitting around waiting for a slack day to put out on Ebay.

The nicest is a Hafler 945 Tuner/Preamp w/remote. Motorized volume control. Sweet SS preamp and rack mountable. It's condition is mint.

Also have rack mountable 101 and 110.

Dee

----------------

the 101 and 110 is old school vintage right? the 945 is a newer within the last 8 years or so right?

A tube preamp in front of a solid state amp sounds really good, and is a great way to take the edge off of solid state. Once you get the Fortes you'll understand what I mean.

Modern day tube amps are plug and play. Stick the tubes in and let it rip. Preamp tubes last damn near forever.

You actually understand solid state technology? Hell, then you're smarter than I am.

My BK ST202 with a PAS3 pre sounded better on my 1979 Cornwalls than with the Dynaco ST70 I hooked up last night?? Obviously haven't given it a enough time yet for an accurate comparison, but can this be true? The SS seemed to have better highs with Dark Side of The Moon, while the tube was definitely better with Kenny G on playing horns.

Yep, the 110 is 1984 vintage and the 101 is older than that. I think you are right on the 945, though it is not in production now.

Hafler has got a technical library on it's website: hafler.com if you wanted to check the specs on the 945.

Dee

"A tube preamp in front of a solid state amp sounds really good, and is a great way to take the edge off of solid state. Once you get the Fortes you'll understand what I mean."

BINGO.

If you are a SS amp loon as I am, I can tell you that a tube preamp will go a long way towards improving your system sonics. Doing this gives you the guts of SS amps that many like, while smoothing out the sound at the same time.

A good tube preamp will bring your system to the next level, guaranteed - even with more modest quality amplification. I think the preamp is second only to the speakers in terms of effect on the sonic signature of the system. Choose wisely in these two categories, and you are well on your way to a great system.

----------------

On 7/19/2003 4:19:59 PM BigBusa wrote:

I've got a nice NAD 1020 I'll sell ya for $75 + shipping. Works 100%. I'm using it now as a matter of fact. Sadly, it doesn't match my other components. It's grey and the rest of my gear is silver. Yes, that does matter to me.

----------------

thats a good offer, but i won't own another pre-amp without a working remote.