tube amps with all music? even rock music?

Just1n20

Thanks Gary, I just emailed the seller to see if he had given any more thought to parting with those vertical corns. I'll keep you posted. I will most certainly take you up on your offer to check them out and maybe hold on to them for awhile until I can get down to retrieve them. If I get them then I will have to part with a pair of La Scala's though to make room for them. I think another BB member is interested in the black NO, LA corns. Bye for now.

Hi Wolfram,

Your SET point is probably well taken. My SET observations are from listening to Bottlehead Paramours. I would think it probably fair to say that even Paramours built by a highly competent builder, such as mine were by a member of this forum... would still have some compromises in order to meet the price point they serve. I had been thinking Wright 2A3's were an excellent candidate and then missed two very nice pairs which sold on Ebay and Audiogon for excellent prices. 8.gif

BTW, have enjoyed reading your posts on getting your Wright 2A3's set up and your impressions of their sound. It would be about a toss up for me to choose between Wright and Welborne DRD's, but I'm leaning in the direction of Welborne. Even the SS 6.gif rectification.

Regards,

Dee

Dee,

thanks for the kind words. I have to say that those Wrights ARE growing on me. To check my perception I connected the MX-110/8B combo again. Truely a great combination (to my ears certainly superior to the MC-225) and quite 'objective' sounding without being sterile or harsh. On the contrary: if one adjective is needed to describe their flavour it would be 'musical'.

Now because I got a new 6X4 rectifier for the preamp I went back to the Wrights. I played the same CDs and I honestly admit that I am more drawn into the music with those SETs. Somehow they seem to present the music in a more 'flowing' way. It's certainly pretty 'magical' and different ears might react differently indeed. But for me the Mc/Marantz combo is for the head, the Wrights for the heart.

Wolfram

Wolfram,

That "flowing way" is the best way I have ever heard someone describe SET !! This is exactly what they do and the reason why they do it is they can not keep up with the transients of the music so they simply tone the upper and lower end transients out and play the Mid Range. This will indeed smooth out the music ! I have heard first time SET owner say CD's that were unusable before they bought there SET amps now sound bearable. The above explanation is why.

Its all about what each individual likes !

Craig

----------------

On 7/18/2003 2:18:18 PM bclarke421 wrote:

Actually I would recommend Daddydee's NOSValves rebuilt SCott 299C. It's known to be a stellar performer, and it will probably still be worth what you would pay for it in 4 (or 5 or 6)years when you graduate. I don't think that would be the case with the Jo. Also note the summed center channel with volume control-excellent for subwoofer use, as Dee noted in another thread.

Keep in mind as you go off to school-chicks dig tubes!11.gif

----------------

oooo a sub output would be a nice touch. any place in particular you'd suggest i could get one?

Sold my Jolida 202a last month. I used it for a few months and bought a Scott 299A. The Jolida is a fine instrument and sounded great--but the Scott was better. Better bass slam, a lot warmer and just a friendlier amp. Jolida had a bit more power but just not as smooth as the Scott.

Scott does fine with rock music too. Even Metallica's "Whiskey in the Jarro" shakes the house at less than 12 o'clock on the volume dial with a 15X12 room with 12 ft ceilings.

• Like 1

MBM135,

Was looking at your setup and is similar to what Im running or actually wanting to run. I have a pair of original Fortes and am looking at the Scott and Rega Plant. Im currently using a new Denon 1803, but not happy with the musical quality, great for HT, but not 2 channel. How do you like the Scott, Rega, Forte setup ?

Thanks

----------------

On 7/24/2003 2:00:34 PM DeanG wrote:

30wpc? Isn't that like, overkill Lynn?
1.gif

----------------

Lynn, this is what makes this forum great. you can post your thoughts and get a hard time (in response) all in same location!9.gif

Dean, you are too good! Subtle, but good!11.gif

Best regards,

Dee

tube amp offerings are so varied now that one cannot say they are only good for one type of music or another. there is tube amp for anyone. from the SET 1.5 watt flea amps to 300 watt bruisers, you can find something for you. I have come to the conclusion that for me, with my speakers, tubes are the best sounding solution. I also like tubes with rock CDs, some of the tube "goodness" helps mitigate the rock CD "badness" at least for me. CDs that were almost unlistenable for my on my previous SS setup sound acceptabel on my tube rig. anyway, enjoy! tony

"30wpc? Isn't that like, overkill Lynn? "

Our beloved Mr. Paul once said What this country needs is a good 5 watt amp but his setup at home was somewhat more powerful than that.

The fact is that I owned the amp long before I owned the Khorns and can see no logic in flogging it and putting extra money in so that I can have less power.

BTW Your new Quicksilvers look pretty sweet !