eBay fake security email

dodger

Good Day:

A number of weekends I do not read email.

But importantly, this one I did.

The was an email entitled "SECURITY CHECK." Return address purported to be "aw-confirm@ebay.com" - when opened it looked like the sign in section of eBay including password.

I know most of the Forum members will not reply, but I am posting this for newbies and those new to eBay.

I reported this to:spam@eBay.com, Security@Yahoo-inc.com, the webmasters and Postmasters at each site also as Yahoo was mentioned Originating Domain.

THE EMAIL IS A FAKE!!!!

Also if you receive an email that contains five (5) sections of "X Anti-Abuse"- Primary Host name, Original Domain, Originator/Caller Uid/Gid, and lastly, Sender Address Domain - it also X'd "Mailer" and noted sent http//www.ebay.com.

As both eBay and Yahoo Security replied it did not originate with them, please do not fill anything in, do not reply, forward to spam@ebay.com, and the abuse, Postmaster and Webmaster of your site and ebay's.

Thanks

dodger

Thanks for the heads up!

Seems like a good time to reiterate a few safety practices. Never reply to an e-mail requesting personal information like passwords, social security number, credit card number, etc. Minimize the number of places your e-mail address shows up. Posting it to a usenet newsgroup is asking for trouble. If you must do so, use multiple e-mail addresses, one for real business, and another for newsgroups, etc.

FWIW aw-confirm@ebay.com is the return address ebay uses when sending end of auction requests for total including shipping among other things.

----------------

On 7/21/2003 12:52:53 PM H.H. Scott wrote:

If the return address was aw-confirm@ebay.com, the e-mail sent to you wasn't a fake. I get these every once in a while, but never reply. They are authentic e-bay e-mails.

If you have AOL service, you'll get fake e-mails all of the time. I usually get one once that says something like "AOL billing error" To keep AOL service, you need to enter your credit card information here. Of course, the return address has nothing to do with AOL. You do have to watch out for fraud, but in this case, this is a real e-bay message.

-Ryan

----------------

Hey Ryan:

As stated above the confirm is for auction bidding or notification of winning/losing.

I can fake headers. This was a poor job - semi-colons were colons should be and more..

eBay nor any other reputable Internet site will never send you an email asking you for, or to verify your password or creditcard/financial information.

Both eBay Safe Harbor (their Security Arm) and Yahoo Security certified them as fakes and reiterated my statement above.

If you receive an email asking you to reply with either your Password, personal information or credit card/debit card or Checking Account information without going to THEIR site and sending such information on a Secure or Encrypted Page noted at the bottom, the email is a fake,

Win

----------------

On 7/21/2003 1:25:22 PM Frzninvt wrote:

I got that email, it really looked legit. I however did not respond to it, as that is information that they should already have access to. I can definately see how someone could have been easily fooled by it for sure.

----------------

Hello:

How many other Forum Members received the same message Friday or this weekend?

And (do not mention which one) which servers?

Contact Safe Harbor though another computer and server. Then if you still have it forward it from your home computer thus smaller chance of infecting other computer. Do not just use another email address from your home computer. Make sure you copy in Webmaster and Postmaster at your server/domain.

Also for this and all spam uce@ftc.gov - unsolicited commercial email at Federal Trade Commission.

dodger

Classic fake email happens all the time with AOL, eBay and Paypal you name it. I just forward then to eBay and Paypal and let them track the scammers down ! No different then phone scam or pick pocketers . There are crooks every where ! Internet is not any safer then anything else.

I get an average of two of those fake eBay emails per week. eBay will never ask you to click on a link in an email to access your account. Asking you to click a link is a sure way to tell it is not from eBay. The proper way to handle the fakes is to forward them to spoof@ebay.com. The frauds website seems to go away within hours of forwarding those to eBay.

Bob

In the good old days when I wasn't so careful with my e-mail address, I used to get scam e-mails about as regularly as anyone. Since I have changed ISPs, and e-mail addresses, and become more careful, I don't get these anymore. Kind of miss the ones from Nigeria. They were very inventive.

Absolutely don't unscribe unless you know you are dealing with a reputable site. The very action of unsubscribing tells them they have a good e-mail adress, which they can sell for more money to other scammers/spammers.

Once these guys have your address usually all you can do is filter or change addresses.

Yessir, these internet hoodlums are very crafty in creating authentic-looking e-mails, targeting unsuspecting eBay and PayPal members to give 'em their social security and credit card numbers on the unsecure e-mails. It's sad how many people do fall for their pranks, which will eventually hurt them in the long run. Hope the bastards get caught and rot in prison forever, but it's highly unlikely they ever will.