Beyond Bose

Deang

Impressive discussion to say the least. However, the low quantity of sales and high R&D spend force the given pricing more than the processes and materials used.

Has anyone ever heard the characteristics of any Wilson's? I'd be interested to hear them to try and decide how much they are really worth.

If anyone knows where the public can go to hear a pair, let me know.

Thanks

I've heard Wilson's largest systems. I'll put what I have up against anything Dave Wilson can produce & put money on it. They are nothing more than 'contraptions' with high price tags. I wouldn't have one even if they were the same price as a Klipschorn.

I checked out the Wilson Audio website and closely reviewed the products. Obvisously a man possessed. Some interesting looking speakers.

The thing that struck me the most was the weight of the speakers. A 700 Lb. sub-woofer! The X1s were 1200 Lbs. a pair.

That may make a difference to some people, but I really don't want to own a 700 Lb. sub-woofer, or 1200 Lb. speakers.

I also don't want a cherry red laquer job on my audio equipment. Maybe on my truck!

For the money, I'll keep the Klipsch, and the house I keep them in.

The newest version of the Watt/Puppy (the System 7) is a really, really good sounding speaker. They have them set up for display at Take5 in New Haven.

To get them to open up, you need a lot of good quality power. Take5 drives them with Levinson 33H amps, which produce roughly a bazillion watts into practically any load.

Of all the direct radiating speakers I've heard, the Wilsons come closest to the kind of dynamics you get with the horn loaded Klipsch systems. They cost an awful lot, and require a lot of power, but they sound great.

IMHO.

oh, wait, I haven't got one of those "H" things....

IMO

----------------

On 7/23/2003 3:14:04 PM Ray Garrison wrote:

The newest version of the Watt/Puppy (the System 7) is a really, really good sounding speaker. They have them set up for display at Take5 in New Haven.

To get them to open up, you need a lot of good quality power. Take5 drives them with Levinson 33H amps, which produce roughly a bazillion watts into practically any load.

----------------

1200 watts @ 1ohm

And they weigh 220 pounds.

My goodness.

Peace, Josh