Stealth bomber!

bkrop

It looks like the Arrow program didn't really get off the ground....11.gif

"Five Arrow I's were built and test flown. The first Arrow 2 with Iroquois engines was being readied for the flight line and 31 more models were in production when the programme was cancelled on 20 February 1959." (from the same website that Josh posted)

I think that this is the latest air force pic.

rcf.jpg

I was outside at lunch today and saw (2) DC-3s flying overhead. And a formation of WW2 fighters together, (3) mustangs and (4) Texans. Was in Madison Sunday and saw a B-17 flying. All because EAA is this week.

I am buzzing up to EAA on Thursday for the weekend, maybe I'll post some pics. Got to talk to Chuck Jaeger 3 years ago. Have met Sean Tucker and Patty Wagstaff lots of other good people. Even ran into David Gilmore once, must have been 10 years ago.

JM

jt1stcav -

Not to be a stickler, but the P51 Mustang did not have radial engines. The earlier versions of the aircraft had UK produced Merlin & Rolls-Royce V12's that were supercharged. In it's latter configurations (the C & D models) the engines were Allison V12's that were turbocharged hence the familiar oil cooler scoop under the plane. And up until a few years ago the Venuezualen (sp?) Air Force flew P51D's as their primary plane.

BTW - there's a War Bird restoration/museum place located at the Kissemmee Airport. Neat place if you're into airplanes.

Tom

Geez, check your facts guys.

P51As had an Allison V12 with a single stage, single speed mechanical supercharger.

Laster P51s, including the D model, had a Packard built Merlin V12 with a two stage, two speed mechanical supercharger.

The turbo-supercharged Allison was not available for the P51 because all of them were going into P38.

Um...uh, yeah Tom, I knew that. Uh...I was just testing your knowledge to see if you knew...yeah, that's it!3.gif

Sorry, my bad.

If I had my facts straight like Malcome, then we wouldn't be having this friendly bickering, LOL!9.gif

Oh well, I also like B-17 bombers...they had Pratt & Whitney radial engines, did they not? Or were they Rolls Royce engines? Or are they even radial, and air cooled?

What do I know...I just like 'em!2.gif

I've heard of the Air Museum in Kissimmee, but never been.

Would also like to see Fantasy of Flight in Polk City (right off I-4 near Winter Haven). I hear tell they have a few decent flight simulators you can try out (for a fee, natch).

Easy

Here is a link to the pricing at EAA. Kids under 7 are free.

http://www.airventure.org/2003/about/admission.html

I was going to correct Jim on the Mustang facts. In the EAA museum they have the first P51 mustang delivered to the US Military from North American designation XP-51. It is very interesting to see the old style since most flying today are the D version produced after WW2. I do not know what engine is in the B-17. It is a radial. The last B-17 I saw in person had different MFG tags on all 4 engines. Not sure who designed it for Boeing but a lot of companies made the engine. When I use to work at Waukesha Engine, they have pics on the walls showing the assembly of B-17 engines as well. FYI - there is also a pic showing the prisoner of war camps on the hill to the north of the factory where German POWs lived while they worked in the factory.

JM

Let's see....Today I seen a pair of stealth fighters take off, of course they had to make a pass over the base before they split.

A pair fighters, not sure of the type, they have dual tailfins.(Tomcat?)They just took off and left, no flyby.

Some old school Bi-plane left, rather slow compared to those fighters.

And a B52. Other than that, it's pretty much KC135's from now on. Yay.

They had a air show this last Weekend.

Invidiosulus,

Yes I saw the list...Canadian air forces have many,many outdated fighers that belong in a museum.Besides the F18's and a few planes the only country Canada could pose a threat to is Groenland and Antarctica!

2.gif

NO high tech planes,no Raptors no B2 flying wings.F18's are competent planes but they are no SU-27/33,or the incredible SU-37with thrust vectoring(no not the ones the propaganda information office shows in glorious and funny Rambo movies or the old WWII rusty ones).And the most funny part is the canadian submarine fleet! LOL

Old diesel/electric rotting cans as silent as a Klipsch Horn armed with rusty torpedoes even the Saddamster would not use.

Since i grew up next to an air base,,,Richards-gebaur,,,i heard a lot of sonic booms...just wondering how many of the board guys have even heard a sonic boom....also this air base was the headqauters of s.a.c. before they built it in the mountain,,,,,i think it was any way....rick

Thanks Malcolm - I stand corrected (to some degree 2.gif )

On my way home last night there was something about my post that was bugging me and it occurred to me that I had my "engines" swapped in relation to the aircraft models.

However, I'm sure that some engines were produced by Rolls and that there were some turbo'd engines used. Alas, like so many things during WWII, more than one vendor produced the same product from time-to-time.

Worked with a guy who worked at the Boeing plant that produced the B-17. He told me that at the end of the main assembly line there's this huge clock above the final line door. He was told that at the peak of production, the line moved every hour on the hour. So every time the big hand was on the "12", a B-17 went out the door. Simply amazing...with all the technology we can bring to bear, my company can only put out one aircraft every 4 days!

Lastly (and I promise to shut the hell up 1.gif ), there's some dude here in Savannah that has two P51D's that are fully restored right down to the (inoperable) machine guns. I've seen one them and it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. This guy flies the P51D's each week and if ya ask real nice he'll take ya up on a joy ride. His toys also include a Gulfstream V, a Citation X (I think), a Mig17 (that he donated to the Mighty 8th Air Force museum), and a Mitsubishi MU2.

Tom

A handful of early P51s that were shipped with Allison were retrofitted in Britain with RollsRoyce manufactured Merlins. But they weren't a production item. There may well have been a prototype built at some time with a turbo-charged engine. But AFAIK none made it into production. I am aware, however, of some surplus P51s that were retrofitted with turbine engines and shipped off to some foreign airforce.

Whatever is in them, I love the sound of a P51 making a high speed pass at low altitude.

Only things at all interesting around here right now are a guy flying his private T38 in the pattern until he has enough time for the FAA to sign off on his leaving the airport traffic area, and a Goodyear blimp. Blimps are much more interesting up close than at a distance. One of the Goodyear blimp pilots used to hang out at a little airport where my airplane was based. When he was in the area with the blimp, he would fly a tight pattern and do touch and goes. Takeoff is interesting. Hugh gas envelope filling your view, about 30 degrees nose up, both engines at full throttle and going nowhere fast.

BTW the B17 used variants of the Wright Cyclone engine.