Thrift Store Vinyl Goodies...

Just got to my favorite thrift store on the right day.

Peter Gabriel 1st solo LP MINT

Genisis 6 albums total

Mike Rutherford Solo 2 LPs

Steve Hacket Solo

Anthony Phillips Solo

Jef Lorber Fusion MINT

Al Hirt

Nat King Cole 3 LPs

Rush Moving Pictures MINT

Blood Sweat and Tears VGC

RCA Red Seal Classical 3 LPs VGC

Tull Songs from the Wood

In total 36 LPs from GC to Mint

$ 38

I like thift store goodies better than I like $ 16 CDs

I have listened to the Gabreil and Jeff Lorber; Both are very nice. Only one small pop on the Gabriel.

Anbody else get any inexpensive goodies lately?

There are plastic bargoons to be had matey ( Scratching arse with hook and being careful to adjust eyepatch with real hand). Many a steal has come my way via garage sales and thrift stores. Last weekend I picked up a mint 2 LP copy of the Fiddler on The Roof soundtrack. ( I know ! I know ! - Until I gave it a listen).

Yike !!

Topol narrating the story between cuts - Silent background - Isaac Stern on the fiddle -

For 50 cents I could have done worse !

.....If I were a rich man... tada tada tada tada bum....If I were a wealthy,wealthy man ! ( Gotta get that damned tune out of my head !).....I wouldn't have to work hard.....( Damn!).... budda budda budda....( HELP!!)

Today I went to the library AGAIN and found 6 sealed albums. One of them was a Seseme Street album from the early 70s but hey, it was sealed! I also found someone had dropped of their entire collection of near mint albums - almost all of Elton John's entire collection (about 16 albums), 4 Joan Armatrating, 1 John Lennon (almost perfect!), Jackson Browne, etc. Also a few more sealed 50s & 60s classical albums. This place is great! All for 50 cents each. Sounds like a good day all around!

In the county where I work, there is only 1 library with a basement sale all the time. All donations go there and they keep coming. I go there about 3 times a month now since I keep finding new, unopened and mint to near mint albums.

I currently have about 40 unopened albums at home (mostly old classical and 1 Seseme Street9.gif ). I also have an unopened 10 album set of some sort of Senate Hearing. I can't resist sealed albums no matter what they are.

Today they had what looked to be 40 boxes of albums sealed shut that were donated by a record store. They didn't know if they were new or used but I left my card and they will call me to let me know the details of the sale. Must be a few thousand in those boxes. I was dying to open a box but they wouldn't let me.

There was a guy there today buying everything that looked playable. I wouldn't have touched any of what he bought and don't know what he was doing (ebay maybe?).

Check with your local library and see if they have a branch like mine that sells used books/records/cds/, basically anything the library lends.

Just looking through today's score:

John Lennon, Walls & Bridges cool flaps - almost perfect!

Tommy Dorsy

Loius Armstrong

4 Fleetwood Macs

Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

Elvis Costello, My Aim Is True

All the Elton Johns & Joan Armatratings & Jackson Brownes

And of course the unopened Seseme Street, The Square Song

All mint to near mint!

I'm not sure this qualifies because I didn't pay for it. I picked up a Pickwick33 Nat Cole album that was sealed for nuttin'. The guy had others from classical, instrumental, etc that were either sealed or barely used. I should have bought them I guess, but my TT doesn't have a remote.

I felt bad taking the album for free, so I gave him $3 for an old bakelite tube radio.

I ran across a guy with an old organ. He just wanted to have it hauled away. The thing must weigh 500 pounds. It had 70 or more tubes (12AU7) and a couple of amps with transformers the size of softballs (a little bigger). I don't play the organ.

Keith

Congratulations, Keith! You're turning into ME! As you may recall, I have salvaged parts from very inexpensive tube organs (2 Baldwin Orga-sonics, and one Conn). The neighbors must get a kick seeing me sawzall-ing the organ carcasses into manageable, dumpable pieces.

fini

LOL Fini. Sawz-alling is one of my favorite pastimes.

Stoped at a savation Army thrift shop today just because I can't help myself. Thay had about 300 albums, almost all in mint to near mint condition. They were $1.25 each (the .60 sale ended yesterday but they just got a new shipment today). I bought $33 worth. There was a jazz collection with a sort of beat up cover which held about 6 or 7 lps inside. All the lps inside were mint! Louis, Count, Miles, etc.

They had a really old Charlie Parker (either 78 or long play 33 that looks like a 78). Other than a crimp on the edge it was in really good shape. Didn't buy it. Should I have? Also a binded collection of Bing Crosby (same size as the Charlie Parker). About 6 or 7 records in it. I didn't want to pay the $1.25 per record so I passed.

They had others like that that I didn't buy.

Anyone know if those are worth anything?

Oh yeah. The reason I was in that area is because a guy had a kenwood kr-9600 receiver like mine in the penny saver. He was asking $100 and I talked him down to $50. A little contact cleaner and a good overall cleaning job and it's perfect. Now I have 2 I don't use. Nice receivers though. Anyone need one? 160 WPC, about 65 lbs with all the gadgets and gizmos you could want. Great for a second system. A, B, A+B and C speaker connections. Pre-out/amp-in connection. 2 TTs, 2 tape decks, etc., etc. Excellent sensitive tuner also. I used mine for 25 years before going tubes.

GaryinMD---

A while back you mentioned that you might be able to help me out on buying and installing a Shure V15 cartridge in my Mayware Formula 4 arm/Kenwood KD-500 TT.

I'm ready to get that cartridge and want to get my TT ready to play some vinyl!

I'm located in the DC suburbs, so I could meet you wherever/whenever.

Email me @ deaverss@frb.gov, and let me know if you can do this in the next month.

Regards,

Stew Deavers

----------------

On 8/1/2003 2:30:31 PM Vahorns wrote:

GaryinMD---

A while back you mentioned that you might be able to help me out on buying and installing a Shure V15 cartridge in my Mayware Formula 4 arm/Kenwood KD-500 TT.

I'm ready to get that cartridge and want to get my TT ready to play some vinyl!

I'm located in the DC suburbs, so I could meet you wherever/whenever.

Email me @ deaverss@frb.gov, and let me know if you can do this in the next month.

Regards,

Stew Deavers

----------------

Stew,

You will have mail in about 5 minutes.

----------------

On 8/1/2003 8:51:24 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

I think those old MONSTER receivers that weigh over 50 lbs would make great amps for a garage band PA for teenagers garage bands.

Kids got to get a break to start a band.

Better than them playing video games...

----------------

Find me a garage band and I'll help them get a 60lb receiver.1.gif It ain't that hard these days. I'm shocked to see how cheap some of these excellent receivers are going for these days. Even on ebay!