B&W Nautilus 802

arthurs

arthurs,

Get 801's and only 801's.Do not worry about the I WALKED IN THE ROOM AND WAS NOT IMPRESSED TYPES.Too often these people never had the gear in their homes to try and if they were disapointed the speakers were not matched with proper electronics.

Great speakers must not impress they must recreate the performance.

I know this much the 801's blow the MDF out of RF7's by a BIG margin,those who claim otherwise have bricks for ears.

1.gif

Some even love the sound of stage PRO monitors,and the same people would be very very unimpressed with any speakers not capable of blowing their eardrums with one watt.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to weigh in, I bought my Academy from someone who was selling Klipsch for B&Ws. Two channel, B&W was truly awesome. Though he sold me his Academy, he did so with admitted reservations that he was giving up a better, cheaper center just to have a dream two-channel system.

The only top of the line B&W speakers Ive heard recently were the N800s. One of their few dealers in the state that carries the Nautilus series happens to be about 8 miles down the road from me. I havent been in their show rooms too many times because Im one of those Champagne taste with beer money guys. It sure is fun to look around the place. The 800s they had were not the signature series that come with the tiger finish but they were the N800s in cherry wood. They looked as good as they sounded BUT for $16,000/pair? Hmmmmmm. I dont know. They had a McIntosh 602 powering them that they would throw in the deal for around 8 grand. I figured that the speakers weighing 275 pounds a piece along with a 150 pound Mac amp that I would probably need a back operation costing 50 grand after lugging this stuff in the house. If I decided I needed a total psychiatric examination for buying this gear including shock treatments I think the cost would increase another 10 grand. I left the store wondering if I could get a loan for $80,000 by using my house as collateral. YIKES! I promptly drove to the only place with a Mac I could afford. It was a double cheese with bacon.

BuggsBunny,

Yes the 800's are that damn good and then some,the 800 Signature are all the 800 goodness plus a finish to knock the carrot out of your paws.9.gif

Let me say it like this NO DIY even deserves to stand next to the 800 Signature that is how gorgeous and perfect the quality if the cabinetry and finish is.The only speakers with even better looking real wood finish are the Avalon Eidolon Diamond in bird's eye maple.A 3D depth that puts a spell on you

Mere pictures just do NOT do any justice to the 800 Signature,and when powered by first class Mark Levinson or Krell electronics total audio nirvana becomes a reality.

I agree Ear. I'm a big admirer of cabinet workmanship and both the N800s and signature are second to none inside AND out as far as any speakers I've seen in person. As far as the price tag is concerned I suppose you got to pay the cost to be the boss.9.gif I'd love to have a Krell amp but it's not in the budget. If I remember correctly you have a Krell. Right? If so which model is it?

BBB,

Yep Krell indeed,the FPB600.I worked many overtime hours(well after hours)to get this gem(err a 180lbs chunk of tank).

The FPB600 will drive any known speakers to their limits,what is great is it doubles its output as the load goes ,600W RMS into 8Ohms and a whopping 2.4KW RMS into 2 Ohms!Per channel(if plenty of juice is flowing to the amp).Pro amp got nothing on this monster.

Lets say this baby does not run off a 15AMP outlet 2.gif And does not like to share its circuit.

Efortless is best describes its sound,or lack of signature.Its just there,pure power.I like Krell because of the hallmark DRIVE ANY SPEAKER capability.My Dynes Contour 3.3's demand a great amp and the FPB600 is way more then up to the task.1.gif

One thing one never gets used to is the size of the amp,its BIG.The only more massive amp I saw and auditioned is the Mark Levinson 33 reference monoblocks.These titans are HUGE,like massive full tower PC cases...280lbs worth per channel.When you lift an amp like this you know the money is well spent.9.gif I dislike the feather weight trash can receivers claiming 400W total,with a pea wee transformers and cant even drive 4 ohm speakers.

Then again,Krell makes THE AMP.A ~700lbs of monoblock goodness called the Master Reference Amplifier or MRA.

Levinson VS Krell,Krell is the better value for the dollar and per watt.Sound quality is so close I would call it a no contest.

I'm going 802 and keeping my 2 RSW-15's. set up a similar room to mine at dealer and the 801's were overwhelming with two subs (and still more expensive)but the 802's really blended nicely. I'm going to try that in my home, and if unhappy consider going back to 801. Thanks for the help and support, I'll have pics to post this weekend.

pinipig,

Well its a true KRELL dude,the most powerful audio amplifier in THE WORLD.Pro amps can run and hide,they have nothing to oppose this goliath.KRELL is THE name in solid state amplifiers.

You can use the MRA as an arc welding machine!Try this with a weakling tube amp. LOL

Large Krell amps can drive planar and ribbon speakers to realistic volumes as long as the elements can take the thunder Krell delivers.

----------------

On 8/4/2003 8:54:10 PM arthurs wrote:

Gla dto hear you're happy with you KHorns JMON. I agree with you on the KEF, I was unimpressed. Not so on the 801 and 802. I love my Klipsch, and I still may move them into another room, barring a good offer. But, you know how it is, man gets somethin in his head he's gotta do, sometimes he needs to go do it to get it out of his head. This is now me with the 801 or 802, whichever I can work the best deal on.

----------------

I understand what you're saying. If you like the B&W's, then by all means go get them. You have to get what YOU like. Not everyone has the same tastes, goals, and even hearing. Get what you like. I do think B&W makes some good stuff.

Beware of. the Power of the KRELL!!!

fp_05.jpg

One must use a shuttlecraft to explore the Krells subterranean power machine.

There are 7,800 levels and 400 ventilator shafts covering 20 square miles. The Krell power source is derived from 9,200 thermonuclear reactors working in tandem without direct wiring. When the Krell had completed their project they had a big machine with no instrumentalities true creation.. 8,000 cubic miles of relays. Enough power for a whole population of creative geniuses. Operated by remote control. Operated by the electromagnetic impulses of individual Krell brains! A machine that can instantaneously project solid matter to any point on the planet, in any shape or color you might imagine. For any purpose. Creation by mere thought. But mindless beasts of the subconscious had access to the machine that could NEVER be shut down. The secret devil of every soul on the planet all set free at once to loot and maim and take revenge. and kill! About a million years from now the human race will crawl up to where the Krell once stood in its great moment of triumph and tragedy to remind us that we are, after all, not God. Beware of the Power of the KRELL!

----------------

On 8/5/2003 9:26:21 AM TheEAR wrote:

...Do not worry about the I WALKED IN THE ROOM AND WAS NOT IMPRESSED TYPES.Too often these people never had the gear in their homes to try and if they were disapointed the speakers were not matched with proper electronics.

----------------

If you are referring to my post, then I would suggest you shouldn't be making assumptions. You weren't there, therefore you don't know. I also don't appreciate the condescending tone. You make the suggestion that my opinion is irrelevant???

I have heard the Nautilus 801's with various electronics, including Levinson, Krell, and McIntosh. Still, I was not impressed, at least not for the price. That doesn't mean they didn't sound good, they just didn't sound good enough TO ME to justify the price. I know I can get better sound for less money. Again, this is for MY tastes, not necessarily yours.

Arthurs: As I mentioned in my post above, you should get what sounds good to you. Don't let my comments scare you off from B&W. Any opinions from anyone else, are just that, opinions. You can get some good advice here, but just remember that not everyone is going to want the same thing you want in a speaker. B&W does make good stuff. Hope things work out for you.

B & W 802's are simply awsome. My dealer got some in about 1 year ago. When she first connected them a Denon 5800 was driving them and they were truely unspetacular. About one week later I was back in the store and she had Yamaha seperates powering them and they sounded as good as gold, sweet.

I purchased the RF-7's as I could not afford the B & W as they do not like to discount them much at all. However I live in an area that is economically depressed and she still has the speakers. She offered them to me for $7,000 if interested. That's still too pricey for me.

I have heard the bw naut 800's on several amps and components. for amps, I've heard them on the Krell FPB 800's, VTL flagship models (45K per pair, I forget the name, tube monoblocks), smaller VTL amps, and Classe solid state monoblocks.the room they were set up in was perfectly acousticaly treated, and the total system cost was near $90,000. I don't think at this point there would be problems with electronics set up. they have them in their own dedicated room. I am not impressed by these speakers. they have no impact, are dull sounding, and ludacrisly priced.