Tube amp with solid state preamp

Deang

I'm just throwing this out here for some thoughts.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible that a good solid state preamp might be less inclined to add coloration and lean more to the neutral side of things.

It seems that while there is a plethora of tube amps than can attain a somewhat neutral balance, the sound of tube preamps are easily described and catagorized -- usually simply based on the circuit type employed.

I've found that my preamp changeouts usually create the largest swings in sonic signature.

Thoughts?

preamps do more amplifying that the amp itself. the signal they start out with much be made much larger (like 50 times or something) where as the amplifier only multiplies it 3-5. I don't know the exact numbers but u get the idea. so, with that in mind preamps do potentially color the sound more than the amplifier, and solid states are typically les colored than tubes. I noticed that when I went from my Numark mixer (using as a temporary preamp before I got my bk) that the B&K preamp sounded much more neutral and less edgy.

"I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible that a good solid state preamp might be less inclined to add coloration and lean more to the neutral side of things."

Didn't you use a SS pre with a tube amp once?

It might sound less colorful and neutral, to the point where it might sound sterile.

It may take quite a high dollar SS pre-amp to get what your looking for, could be a long path to follow.

"It seems that while there is a plethora of tube amps than can attain a somewhat neutral balance, the sound of tube preamps are easily described and catagorized -- usually simply based on the circuit type employed."

I geuss you blunder down that path until you find the right circuit.

"I've found that my preamp changeouts usually create the largest swings in sonic signature."

They always say the pre-amp is the most important piece, it does make sense.

But, if you don't want any added sonic signatures, then a passive linestage would be a option,(Like you posted)using autoformers, or passive parts.

But they have quirks too, impedance matching, etc...

Hell, I just want a good quality CDP with a good quality variable line out. Even a SACD player, if it plays Redbook well.

But they don't variable line outs....

Then the volume pot of the unit dictates some of the overall signature, which most generally will have Opamps.

What happened to your Cary pre?

I did try a ss preamp with my Marantz model 2 and Khorns and got much better reslts.

The preamp was a Burmester 935 MK1 and I've compared it to my CJ Evolution 20se. They were both very expensive at that time (around $6K) but the Burmester was quieter and more revealing.

It can be found in Europe for around $2k these days and has multiple voltage taps, so it can be used worldwide.

I'm using a McIntosh SS preamp with a SET tube amp and I'm enjoying the sound quite a bit. I'd like to try my Dynaco PAS-3 preamp on my system, but I've got to get it serviced first. I'd be giving up the remote control though. Also, my preamp has a built-in 5 band E.Q. that comes in handy. I've found this E.Q. doesn't seem to take away from the sound quality like outboard E.Q.'s that I've tried do. I still have yet to hook up my McIntosh MQ107. I bought that and a spectrum analyzer pink noise generator and microphone about 4 months ago and still haven't found time to play with it. I know I'm going to need a full day and I just can't seem to get to it.

Is there a company that makes a new tube preamp with a remote volume control and some tone control?

Greg

----------------

On 8/3/2003 6:02:22 PM greg928s4 wrote:

I'm using a McIntosh SS preamp with a SET tube amp and I'm enjoying the sound quite a bit.

----------------

Greg, we ought to figure out a way to get together this winter or fall. I was conversing with Dubai2000 (I sold him my Wrights) and he drove them with an MX-110 and found the results just okay. When he put the Wright tubed-pre- with them, he said they came alive.

One thing I could offer is to come up there with the Pantheon (tube end-to-end) and let you hear how the SET's respond.

Building the Pantheon is "supposedly" simple (for me, forget it) but I'll tell you, the sound is WONDERFUL.

I think Sunfire Labs makes a vacuum tube preamp with tone controls, but I'm not too sure about a remote control (probably not).

I had an AMC CVT1030s vacuum tube preamp with a SS McIntosh MC7200 power amp for my Cornwalls which sounded fantastic...never heard a SS preamp with SET or PP amplifiers, but my uneducated guess would be it wouldn't sound bad...

For what it's worth.